✟83,975.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 8:

22 One day he got into a boat with his disciples, and he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side of the lake.” So they set out,
Some preachers claim that Jesus declared a certainty with the words "Let us go across".

Did he?

“Let us cross
Διέλθωμεν (Dielthōmen)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1330: To pass through, spread (as a report). From dia and erchomai; to traverse.

The subjunctive mood expresses potentiality, probability, necessity, or hypothetical situations.

Did Jesus declare a certainty by the subjunctive words "Let us go across"?

He could, but I don't think so.

Young's Literal Translation:

And it came to pass, on one of the days, that he himself went into a boat with his disciples, and he said unto them, 'We may go over to the other side of the lake;' and they set forth,
After Jesus said that,

23b they sailed and he fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water and were in danger. 24 And they went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!” And he awoke and rebuked the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm. 25He said to them, “Where is your faith?” And they were afraid, and they marveled, saying to one another, “Who then is this, that he commands even winds and water, and they obey him?”
Jesus rebuked the wind and complained to the disciples, "Where is your faith?", i.e., "How can you think you are perishing while I am onboard?".

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not didn't Peter walk-on water till he realized he was doing it? When I read the passage, it seems Jesus was upset at them for not using God's power to rebuke the wind themselves.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter asked Jesus first before he stepped on the water.
So, if the disciples would have used the name of Jesus?
John 14:13-14 ESV
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,975.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whatever you ask IN MY NAME, this I will do
Perhaps they didn't do that and Jesus rebuked them. So am I correct that the disciples should have said: Father I ask in Jesus name for the wind to be gone and waves to subside.

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,340.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why not didn't Peter walk-on water till he realized he was doing it? When I read the passage, it seems Jesus was upset at them for not using God's power to rebuke the wind themselves.
:wave:

I think it may have been that He was "upset" that they still didn't realize who it was sleeping in the boat. He had just demonstrated his power and authority over sickness and disease and was crossing over where they would see that He had power over legions of demons...what more evidence/signs was needed to demonstrate that this was more than a Man? What kind of Man is this indeed?

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it may have been that He was "upset" that they still didn't realize who it was sleeping in the boat. He had just demonstrated his power and authority over sickness and disease and was crossing over where they would see that He had power over legions of demons...what more evidence/signs was needed to demonstrate that this was more than a Man? What kind of Man is this indeed?
Yes, they were being rebuked for their unbelief. They were part of the demon casting ministry and Jesus got on them again.

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,340.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they were being rebuked for their unbelief. They were part of the demon casting ministry and Jesus got on them again.
Yes, although the commission of the twelve for demon casting occurs after the legion exorcism. Guess being a great Teacher, He was demonstrating first. :)

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps they didn't do that and Jesus rebuked them. So am I correct that the disciples should have said: Father I ask in Jesus name for the wind to be gone and waves to subside.
Why Jesus was already handling it. stepping on the water should of been all he needed.

Upvote 0