• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Let go and let God....

hugnluvable

AMAZED!
Jul 17, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Visit site
✟18,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Heya.... I've just seen the phrase "Let go and let God!" written in a thread that I feel really convicted to at the moment. I just want to know how others have overcome something that they know is sinful and that they know will mean having to face consequences. Because its so easy to give someone advice about having to face up etc but actually doing it it sooooooooo hard!

I'm want to live the truth but I'm in a compromising position at the moment. I could go one way (towards God) or the other! I want to go towards God but I'm so reluctant to face these consequences that I know will be waiting for me! To let go of what I'm holding onto will be such a hard thing to do becuase it'd be affecting someone else. (Its a non-christian/pre-maritial sex situation!) And the last thing I want to do is hurt them!

Love, hugs and prayers
Erica
xxx

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well... I can give you an example from my own life. Bear in mind though, I don't think that there's any one thing you can do to be cured of these problems. Only an all-encomapssing PUSH towards God can pull you out of something sinful and tempting.

I have had a similar experience to you (in sexual sin) but I have yet to really understand what happened, and I'll need to clear it up with myself before I can really give advice on it.

However, I used to cut myself a LOT, and only giving up control of my life led me out.

I started out really depressed - I simply lost all self-worth and I felt so lonely... Into that I was looking for a way out, and a series of girls in my life gave me the feeling of being loved - but I could never trust them completely as I saw how deeply my depression was hurting them. So instead I started hurting myself to keep it from getting out onto people I cared about. At this point, I was also into drugs and sex etc... but I'll stay on topic. It kept getting worse and worse - and finally I was certain that I would end up killing myself, simply because I needed to see more blood, and I WANTED to see more blood every day.

In the middle of that, I ended up at a Christian University, and surrounded myself with Christians, even if very VERY few of them understood my problems - especially at first! Anyway, I attacked my whole life as a whole. I cut out certain friends, certain things, and drove toward prayer and help in fellowship. It wasn't always on purpose as I truly believe that some of my non-Christian friends backed away from me because God wanted them too - if I'd been around the wrong group much longer, I wouldn't have had the strength to follow God.

But my strong will only brought me so far, there was a point at which I had to realize, and accept that I was weak. That my strength can only keep me further from God as I claw my way back to sanity. That's where I am now, and for every small bit I can chip off myself and give away, I become twice as strong.

In my experience, it is not something that you can plan to beat right away. It's SO easy to fall over and over and over and over..... But God gave me the way out every single time, and if you seriously want it, taking God's path gets easier every time.

On the subject of premarital sex, perhaps you might post it on the Woman's forum. It's not that I don't have experience there, but I feel quite unqualified to talk to a woman about the female side of it, and I do believe that they might have more specific advice on that particular topic. Though if you have more specific issues posted here, I wouldn't avoid answering!

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The most pernicious things, I only overcame through prayer. And yes, a big part of me didn't WANT to ask God for help because I was afraid that He'd follow through and take away the sin that I loved so much.

After some of this got better (God followed through), I realised that I had been afraid that I'd lose what I had (unhealthy though it was) and spend my life alone, and that God didn't have something better planned for me.

It was kind of like the way they trap monkeys - they put some fruit in a narrow necked jug tied to a tree. The monkey reaches in and grabs the fruit, but can't pull his hand out because the neck is too small to let his closed fist through. And he wants the fruit so bad, he won't let go even when the hunter comes.

Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have to surrender to the sin, admit you can not beat it with your own will. When you do this the pressure is off you because you give up. After you give up you ask God to take it away because you wholly admit you can't fight it yourself. Then God takes the fun out of it and we move on. This is how it works for me with God and sin.

Upvote 0