Visit site
✟10,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well I bought it, installed it in 25 minutes, and am using it now. Quite few people at the mall waiting for this thing :)

FYI . . .

Wiki

Quite a lot of information there.

I actually had some stuff happen last night, so I'm just going to get it now. Do I lose my fangirl status since I didn't get it on release day? ;)

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whoa up here, what sold ya on it?
When i went there I was actually talking to a man in line. I was just going to get a t-shirt at the very least but i decided once i got to the door that all the improvements that are outlined on their site were really worth the $129.

Now on my Macbook it runs fast but on my G4 mini it is a bit slower than the book. Not sure why, but hey they both look pretty good.

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's very, very cool. :)
Have you played with photo booth at all? One cool feature that i have not been successful in getting to work is the moving back grounds, and the substitution of backgrounds. It seems to not be able to recognize my face and just shows the background.

I was also a bit disappointed that my network drive, a Buffalo external hard drive, was not an acceptable choice by the Mac to use as a Time Machine back up. Apparently it has to be a hard wired solution. I wanted to be able to use either of my computers wirelessly to back up . . .

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When i went there I was actually talking to a man in line. I was just going to get a t-shirt at the very least but i decided once i got to the door that all the improvements that are outlined on their site were really worth the $129.

Now on my Macbook it runs fast but on my G4 mini it is a bit slower than the book. Not sure why, but hey they both look pretty good.

What were a couple of the improvements you liked? And I've been outta touch~what macbook did ya get?

link amazon has it for $99.99, hmmm....I guess my software would all be leopard compatible~not that I have much...

Upvote 0

HazyRigby

Bunny Infidel
Aug 4, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟10,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Have you played with photo booth at all?

Yes, and the moving backgrounds work for me for the most part.

Try holding something black in front of your iSight when the computer prompts you to step out of the frame. If you're wearing something black, that works out very well. :)

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What were a couple of the improvements you liked? And I've been outta touch~what macbook did ya get?

link amazon has it for $99.99, hmmm....I guess my software would all be leopard compatible~not that I have much...
I bought a used Macbook some time ago, nothing fancy, I think the first generation. It is okay, but i still use the mini the most.

The improvements are mostly cosmetic, but i liked the tool bar and the speed for the most part the best. I have not played with it too much to get an idea of what all it can do.

HazyRigby said:
Try holding something black in front of your iSight when the computer prompts you to step out of the frame. If you're wearing something black, that works out very well.
Will do and thanks for the tip :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HazyRigby

Bunny Infidel
Aug 4, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟10,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I find that Leopard works very well. There are some bugs I've encountered (for example, Firefox—my primary browser—is much slower now, but I've heard rumors that this'll be fixed in the first update).

Some of the features, such as Spaces, are of no use to me, though I have a feeling that someone who either works on many things at once or uses processor-intensive programs would like it a lot. I find the new interface for program- and document-finding to be as cool as heck; it's neat to be able to preview an item without having to open Word or Quicktime to do it.

I use iChat a lot, so the improved features on that are fun.

I have to say that most of the comments I have about Leopard so far would be positive. I still haven't tried "Back to My Mac" (a way to access your computer from anywhere on the 'net), but I'm looking forward to it. I haven't had any trouble (nor have the other two people I know who've also bought Leopard), so it seems to be stable, and it certainly is beautiful.

One note: apparently Leopard displays PCs as having the blue screen of death. I find that gigglicious. :)

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I deleted iChat the minute I got the thing setup. Not because I did not like the program, i just have a tough time with rapid fast paced conversations and well I do not like chat boxes. But I have heard that this one is cool. I do use Yahoos mess once in awhile when I talk with my dad, but since he has a PC and I have a Mac we cannot talk to each other we can only look at each other and type. Loads of fun ;)

I will have to check out back to my Mac.

I am looking at time machine right now, and that looks promising, however I rarely lose something that i miss later on. It seems to me that since i have been a Mac user I have only had to reformat once and that was because i bought it used and wanted to make sure it was done right. Since then I have lost nothing.

It still bugs me that i cannot back up either of my machines to a network hard drive. Would be nice to wirelessly connect and such using time machine. But i can do it with Carbon Copy so I will just have to stick there.

From what i understand 10.5 is just the beginning that many more things are headed for this OS and will be built for this OS. Let's hope it is not just smoke . . .

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Mac OS is one of the major reasons I don't use a Mac... that and overpriced hardware. ;)

not really. The iMac is pretty expensive as it uses portable technology. But comparing other Macs to other brands it's not really that expensive.

What's wrong with Mac OS I wonder? It's Unix. And Unix is sexy ^^
Actually, it's sort of a metro-sexual version of Unix. Given how good it looks.
It's like a geek/model. Like me ;) (jk)

i would happily switch to OSX if they released it for the x86 hardware without tying it down to Apple chosen hardware.

Well, if your PC meets the requirements it is pretty easy to install both Tiger and Leopard on it. One small hack. All you need is the OS DVD, a USB thumbdrive and the hack.
http://forums.megagames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371405
(does not contain any hacks or such. Just a 'how-to' guide)

the interface is a much better than either XP or Vista and is internally self consistent.

The nearest I am likely to get to OSX (unless i inherit enough to buy a decent mac and the software) is the rocket dock software at the bottom of my screen.

see screenshot (taken with PrtScn button) of my desktop at home - yes it is XP (no it isn't WindowBlinds)

Doesn't really compare to Mac OS though. Nor to a decent Linux setup.
Windows remains... Clumsy looking. No matter how much you mod it.
That said, you did a good job at making it more decent-looking.

Can't wait to get a hold of it today! Hopefully my wife won't mind me spending some time on the Mac today...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I succumbed to peer pressure~settin' up Leopard this afternoon

and finally got an external HD...
FYI - you'll find that it is still a bit buggy. Not yet perfect.
I think it's an awesome OS - Buuuuuut...

The folder icons are not good enough.
The dock looks a little funny
The menu bar is terrible. It's transparency does not go with the style of the windows.

Other than that, great OS. It's faster than Tiger. And a lot of the functions are awesome. Quicklook for instance. Wow. Stacks is awesome as well.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Everything fine so far~what bugs are ya seein?

I do like the spaces feature but the finder cover flow view I think was the deal breaker. I have lots of docs that I don't always title the best way~neat way to find stuff.
I've had a couple of kernel panics. Some of my software doesn't work... All in all, MUCH better than Vista was when it came out. Maybe better than it is even now. I haven't tested it enough to say for sure. But a lot more of my software works with Leopard than it does for Vista

Upvote 0