Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
A thread i read earlier which was started by Benedictine has got me thinking.

Imagine that a Priest decided to leave the Roman Catholic and join another Christian denomination (not any of the branches or Orthodoxy). Would that constitute him rejecting the Catholic Church in full knowledge?

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
A thread i read earlier which was started by Benedictine has got me thinking.

Imagine that a Priest decided to leave the Roman Catholic and join another Christian denomination (not any of the branches or Orthodoxy). Would that constitute him rejecting the Catholic Church in full knowledge?
That would depend on whether or not he...had full knowledge.

;)

In other words, we can't tell just by appearances.

One would assume that, of all Catholics, a priest would have one of the highest levels of "knowledge". But this is not an absolute guarantee. He may have been catechized poorly both in seminary and before or may have some profound emotional vacuum that overrides his ability to reason that he tries to fill in another community, etc. (Note that "knowledge" refers to more than just "mental facts".) We don't know for sure...

Greg

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tom :wave:

Sometimes people can do something and think they have full knowledge of something when in reality they only partially understand something.

God is the only one that can know a mans heart and how much knowledge he has of what he is doing. To know something in ones head is only knowledge....a worldy sort of head knowledge..... but when that knowledge moves that 12 inches to the heart then it becomes something different...

I believe then it becomes full knowledge. I personally cannot believe that anyone would leave the Church having full knowledge of what they are doing.

But I know that someone will come soon that will have a proper answer ;)

Blessings

Les

oops lol I see Greg came along :p

Reactions: AMDG
Upvote 0

Markh

Extra Mariam Nulla Salus
Dec 12, 2003
London
Visit site
✟19,044.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
people do go to hell, more people go to hell than heaven.

If that priest doesn't directly commit mortal sin from apostasising, then indirectly, without the graces of the sacraments he will almost certainly be lost from commiting other mortal sins.

We are being too charitable with this "full knowledge" it is much easier than you or I imagine.

I think most people on OBOB seem to have it that no one does anything in "full knowledge" - it was their upbringing, their poor education, etc etc

this is nonsense. People do go to hell, many people, get that in your skull and start praying and fasting for them like Blessed Jacinta and Francisco.

Upvote 0

outhwaar

Jul 27, 2006
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
more people go to hell than heaven.

I do not think that we can know this. Was Christ's saving work so ineffective? He knew that the people He was redeeming were weak and prone to fall back again and again into sin. Do you realy believe salvation is only for the few?

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not think that we can know this. Was Christ's saving work so ineffective? He knew that the people He was redeeming were weak and prone to fall back again and again into sin. Do you realy believe salvation is only for the few?

Salvation is offered for all, but many have rejected the gift. It's the rejection that can ultimately condemn, though other unrepented mortal sins don't help either. Christ's saving work is effective for those that accept the gift and strive to sin no more.

Upvote 0

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
only God would know if they had full knowlege. I've met a priest with about 30 years in that could not answer extremely simple questions about original sin... and a couple of teenagers could handle the answers. ;)
Reminds me of reading a 'priest's testament' on a anti-Catholic site, claiming he never heard of the salvation of Jesus Christ until leaving. Whether true or not, my reaction was, "I learned all that in Catholic elementary school." :confused: :scratch:

Kotton

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would any Priest who had full knowledge leave to begin with? Pride, Willfullness, Arogance, etc..... I'm not a Catholic Theologian.....but it seems so.........what things seem, and what things are can be 2 different things though. Hypotheticals are just that..............

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Markh, none of us are saying that we should not do the things you have mentioned. However, all of us are very aware that we cannot say that the priest is going to Hell.
We all agree that we should pray and fast for the conversion of sinners into the Church.

Upvote 0

outhwaar

Jul 27, 2006
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is offered for all, but many have rejected the gift. It's the rejection that can ultimately condemn, though other unrepented mortal sins don't help either. Christ's saving work is effective for those that accept the gift and strive to sin no more.
Yes, I know all that. My main point was that your statement that "more people go to hell than heaven" seems to imply a level of knowledge that we do not have. I maintain that we cannot know that it is true that more people go to hell than heaven. And we can hope and pray that it is not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
This is something that always confused me. I heard some priests say that it's basically impossible to commit a mortal sin because if you had full knowledge you woudlnt' do it. Others say it's quite easy.

Highlighting this to try and remind myself to come back later to address it...

Greg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.