Leadership: Guiding. Forcing. Pressuring. Controlling. Balance?

timothyZ

Defy the herd. It's more fun.
Apr 13, 2011
United States of America
✟8,048.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of my toughest problems when doing leadership is in the area of knowing how much pressure is too much pressure, when encouraging people to do a given thing.

Now here's the tough part. Sometimes in leadership it takes some prodding of people to keep them active in something, whether it's sunday school, bible study, worship team or whatever.

I think we can all agree a demanding, controlling, dictating leader is not the ideal. On the other hand, it seems like if the leader just kind of puts options on the table and leaves it open for the people to remain active in the given thing, after a while people will just kind of lose interest.

To me it seems like in order to keep something going, the leader must prod, push, encourage, the people to remain at it.

I find I'm great at getting something going. Great at finding consensus. Pretty good at finding where people are at. But frankly I have a tough time with the prodding part of motivating people to remain at the task at hand.

I'm so afraid of getting to a point where I come across as controlling, demanding and dictatorial. Yet from my experience, to a certain extent, a certain level of pressure is needed to keep people on task, interested and motivated.

So here's the question up for discussion. What's the line between being controlling, demanding, dictatorial and prodding, motivating and coaxing to stay on task?

Because from my experience it's not enough to simply start something and hope everyone stays motivated.