Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know a few things Gibson. (certainly not ALL)
What do you want to know?

Hey Dave. Interesting story...

One of the dumbest things I ever did, that I always regretted, was pawning my dad's old Gibson lap steel when I was 18. At the time, I didn't realize what I had...and then, a few years later, my dad passed away and I just always wished I kept it for sentimental reasons.

Well, a few days ago, I was in that same pawn shop, looking at their acoustic guitars (what I play) and over in the corner I saw this little brown case...and, you won't believe it...but it was my dad's old lap steel.

I asked the guy behind the counter about it, and he said they had just put it out on display not too long ago...they had found it up under a workbench in the backroom and it looked like it had been there for years...it had, about 18 to be exact, lol. He sold it back to me for $200...he could have said 2000 and I would have paid it, because of what it means. But I really feel like he did me a favor going that low.

It was a very emotional moment, to be honest...I mean, what are the odds that they would have it after all these years?

But anyway, about the guitar...it doesn't have any serial number or model number on it...maybe inside, but I'm not taking it apart...someone on another forum said they thought it may be a 1948 BR-6...which looks close, but still not quite right. I was wondering if anyone else may be able to tell me more about it.

IMG_3405_1.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK - that is a cool story. Looks like God preserved it for you.

I am not too up on Gibsons before the 1960s. As to where the serial numbers were put back then (or even if they did such things) would probably take a more qualified historian than myself.

I know that Elderly Instruments in Lansing MI deals a lot in vintage instruments and have a LOT of old Gibsons. You probably should get ahold of them. If they cannot tell you themselves how to age this instrument, they can put you in contact with those who can.

I have a Maybel lap Guitar that looks very similar.

Upvote 0