Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
know they all have their respective beliefs, but doesn't this cause seperation instead of unity?

You'd rather we have a false front of unity while still having very different beleifs?

Denominations don't cause seperation, seperation causes denominations.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just curious why people love to have labels about themselves, such as methodist, catholic, nazarene, baptist. I know they all have their respective beliefs, but doesn't this cause seperation instead of unity?
I personally am thinking about becoming a Mennonite, not because I want to cause separation, but because I really respect the Mennonite mindset, and because my mindset is almost exactly the same as theirs.

So that's my personal explanation, anyways.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You'd rather we have a false front of unity while still having very different beleifs?

Exactly. . .

Like it or not some of these beliefs really do matter. Because honestly there are some beliefs out there by some of the "mainstream" protestant churchs that I quite personally find them to call Jesus a liar.

There are others that I find that seem to make up their own beliefs to suit their own ends.

And worst of all some that completly re-write the bible for sinful purposes.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Denominations started when people disagreed about certain scriptures of the Bible. One says it means this, another says no it means this, and another says it means neither because of ........... Then one said, I'm going to start my own sect and walked away from the two. And the two thought about it for a minute and then did the same. This is not a true story of course but thats how it all started.

Upvote 0

Kitangel

Radical lefty
Jan 13, 2006
Melbourne
✟19,220.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Sometimes its like a quick overview of what someone believes. If someone came to me and said "I'm a catholic", I can remember everything I've learned about catholic teaching and get a good idea of what they've been taught, and what they believe.

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A Denominational Icon isn't a Label anymore than your Country of Origin is a Label.......
It's not Intended to cause division and conflict.... but to help us understand where others are coming from and what kind of church they are taught in..... there are certain truths that are distinctively Lutheran, or Methodist, or even Baptist.....
and understanding where someone comes from spiritually helps us understand their point of view in these matters.... and helps us help them or just be friend and understand them.....

Upvote 0

shadistarr

Nov 23, 2006
San Francisco
✟8,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A Denominational Icon isn't a Label anymore than your Country of Origin is a Label.......
It's not Intended to cause division and conflict.... but to help us understand where others are coming from and what kind of church they are taught in..... there are certain truths that are distinctively Lutheran, or Methodist, or even Baptist.....
and understanding where someone comes from spiritually helps us understand their point of view in these matters.... and helps us help them or just be friend and understand them.....
I like that analogy!

Upvote 0

KevinDeath

Jan 22, 2008
✟7,844.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single

How different could these beliefs be from each other? Don't we all believe in God and believe in Jesus? Can't you put your beliefs aside to create a greater good?

Sometimes its like a quick overview of what someone believes. If someone came to me and said "I'm a catholic", I can remember everything I've learned about catholic teaching and get a good idea of what they've been taught, and what they believe.

So its all just an assumption on someone's beliefs? So everything your taught you are supposed to believe?

Like it or not some of these beliefs really do matter. Because honestly there are some beliefs out there by some of the "mainstream" protestant churchs that I quite personally find them to call Jesus a liar.

So basically you just proved my point. You disagree with protestant churches, therefore creating seperation between you and them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shadistarr

Nov 23, 2006
San Francisco
✟8,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Umm Kevin, I think you're pulling quotes out of context...

Different people have different ways to worship. I may like to dance and clap during worship others may like to stand still... nothing wrong with either. Some people may think you can lose your salvation, and others think once saved always saved. Some people think you have to have a full imersion baptism to be saved, others think it's simply by faith and that baptism is good but not necessary. There are denomintations because at one point someone questioned a stance that a church. You see churches are governed by people and sometimes we get it wrong, and sometimes we don't sort things out when they're managable.

Nothing is inherently wrong with denominations, what's wrong is when we argue with one another about who's right and who's wrong with no intent of resolving matters.

I noticed that you are non-denominational... Capo Christian... I knew people who went to that school... (tangent). Non-denominational churches usually have their own doctrine and usually have some sort of denominational roots, you should find out about your church's doctrine and see if it's similar to any other denominations.

IMO non-denom is pretty much it's own denomination now.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there are certain truths that are distinctively Lutheran, or Methodist, or even Baptist.....

Well it may help us understand them but there is only one true doctrine or teaching.

Either its a true teaching or its a false teaching. There is only one true teaching and only one true faith.

So basically you just proved my point. You disagree with protestant churches, therefore creating seperation between you and them.

They disagreed with me first. Because see my church is the oldest protestant denomination. They broke off and used the chaos to make up their own beliefs.

And yes I do disagree with any church that says Jesus is lying when he says "This is my body" and "This is my blood"

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Luther your right, I shouldn't have said truths, I should have said Distinctives..... mind sets.... view points..... While we all agree on the core principles there are great differences.... and I've read the 95 Thesis and agree with them, just not a Lutheran because the only Lutheran Congregations I know are the Liberal ones.....that and I've been raised a Baptist and been a Baptist all my life......

Upvote 0
F

fuerein

How different could these beliefs be from each other? Don't we all believe in God and believe in Jesus? Can't you put your beliefs aside to create a greater good?

There are significant differences and they strongly affect they way we see, perceive, and interact with God. Asking people to merely "put your beliefs aside" is asking the person to put aside beliefs that are essential truths to their faith and accept an "I'm okay, you're okay" easy-believe-ism where all you have to do is accept beliefs ABCD. Oh but what about when someone decides they don't like belief D? Oh, I guess thats alright too, we've watered it down before, we'll just commonly believe ABC, until someone doesn't like one of those of course until the ultimate fate of such a path, where any and all beliefs are permissible and nothing is truly true.

Upvote 0

KevinDeath

Jan 22, 2008
✟7,844.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Nothing is inherently wrong with denominations, what's wrong is when we argue with one another about who's right and who's wrong with no intent of resolving matters.

Ok, so basically what is happening here: look below

They disagreed with me first. Because see my church is the oldest protestant denomination. They broke off and used the chaos to make up their own beliefs. And yes I do disagree with any church that says Jesus is lying when he says "This is my body" and "This is my blood"

See, he's saying he's right and they are wrong

I noticed that you are non-denominational... Capo Christian... I knew people who went to that school... (tangent). Non-denominational churches usually have their own doctrine and usually have some sort of denominational roots, you should find out about your church's doctrine and see if it's similar to any other denominations.

I don't follow denominations, that's why it's non-denominational. I completely understand that my church has it's own doctrine, I might not agree %100 but I am willing to put aside my selfish desire to be right in order to follow God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KevinDeath

Jan 22, 2008
✟7,844.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
There are significant differences and they strongly affect they way we see, perceive, and interact with God. Asking people to merely "put your beliefs aside" is asking the person to put aside beliefs that are essential truths to their faith and accept an "I'm okay, you're okay" easy-believe-ism where all you have to do is accept beliefs ABCD. Oh but what about when someone decides they don't like belief D? Oh, I guess thats alright too, we've watered it down before, we'll just commonly believe ABC, until someone doesn't like one of those of course until the ultimate fate of such a path, where any and all beliefs are permissible and nothing is truly true.

I agree, it's a broad subject to discuss. I don't believe in anything that is absolute truth, there is no such thing.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luther your right, I shouldn't have said truths, I should have said Distinctives..... mind sets.... view points..... While we all agree on the core principles there are great differences.... and I've read the 95 Thesis and agree with them, just not a Lutheran because the only Lutheran Congregations I know are the Liberal ones.....that and I've been raised a Baptist and been a Baptist all my life......

That happens, there are three different major Lutheran churchs and all of them of course vary. Technically I'm in the most liberal national body but my church is only slightly more liberal then a southern baptist church.

(You should check with the Missouri Synod and see if they have a nearby church. http://www.lcms.org)

Of course I'm saying they are wrong! For 2 reasons.

1 Is that if I didn't believe they where wrong then I wouldn't be able to hold that my own beliefs are right since they are mutually exclusive.

2. They actually are wrong. :D

Upvote 0

shadistarr

Nov 23, 2006
San Francisco
✟8,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok, so basically what is happening here: look below

I don't follow denominations, that's why it's non-denominational. I completely understand that my church has it's own doctrine, I might not agree %100 but I am willing to put aside my selfish desire to be right in order to follow God.
Yes some people are going to say that their denomination is the only true denomination, and that is unfortunate. I'm signed up here as non-denom, that's my background, but I currently to a church that is a denomination. I don't fully agree with all of the docrines but it doesn't stop me from going there. I love the community at my church and I like the overall denomination so I go. I may have disagreement with how people interpert those doctrines, and I also disagree with people who put the denomination above Christ (which some people do)... we can have pride in our denomination, but that's all it is, a denomination and being part of a denomination doesn't make you christian or not, your personal relationship with Christ does. I hope we can agree on that!

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Anyone here read what Paul has to say about false teachings?

Its not about being right its about preserving the accuracy in the teaching of the gospels and good news of Jesus Christ.

I belive that Christ is fully physically present in the bread and wine of communion (Which BTW he is) and you do not belive that. Then that is a huge difference because those who don't belive that according to Paul are sinning by doing so.

If I belive that infants should be baptized because Jesus tells us to baptize ALL people (not just adults) and because in Acts entire families where baptized and you do not belive that then that is a huge difference!

It matters a lot and very little has to do with being right.

Upvote 0