Reformed Baptist

Dec 3, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
✟7,942.00
Faith
Christian
Oblio said:
I haven't ordered one from there so I can't say. You might try buying one from a monastery, I bought a handful made by the Greek nuns in Jerusalem.
I wish...does anyone on this forum use the prayer of the heart? I have personal questions that I would like to ask them...just pm me. :pray: Since I no longer attend an Orthodox church I do not have access to a spiritual father. I know I would be accept anytime, I just don't feel right going.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:
I wish...does anyone on this forum use the prayer of the heart? I have personal questions that I would like to ask them...just pm me. :pray: Since I no longer attend an Orthodox church I do not have access to a spiritual father. I know I would be accept anytime, I just don't feel right going.
Most of us here are converts, and relatively new ones. Is there a reason why you can't/won't contact a priest or even better, seek counsel at a monastery? They would be much more qualified to answer questions about prayer of the heart.

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:

Because the Prayer of the Heart is a medatative prayer, it must not be undertaken lightly. It should only be prayed under the guidence of your spiritual father. I think that none of the Orthodox posters here will be able to give any help beyond the most basic facts of the Prayer.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dear Reformed Baptist,
I don't know what it is you are going through, but I discern it is deeply upsetting and dar to your heart. I will pray, as best as I know how, that the Lord will anwer your prayer. (I am slowly gravitating toward Orthodoxy. it is very painful for me. If you will pray for me and my journey, I would appreciate it!@)
Love, in Christ,
Suzannah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:
I wish...does anyone on this forum use the prayer of the heart?
I do, but I don't follow a rule (saying a specific number of prayers), I simply pray the Jesus prayer whenever an opportunity or need arises, as well as the trisagion in addition to my regular morning and evening prayers. I don't use a prayer rope and it is generally not recommended unless you are either a monk or nun, or you have specific guidance from your spiritual father. Following a prayer rule without the advice and guidance of your spiritual father can very easily lead to a false sense of personal piety with the deep pit of pride waiting right behind.

The Jesus prayer is often referred to as the prayer of the heart because it eventually moves from the head to the heart, becoming permanently rooted there, but remember that the context in which it is referred to in this way is always with regard to monastics with many years of experience under the strict guidance of their spiritual father. Do not imagine that you can acheive the same outside of this context. Even monastics have fallen into delusion, believing that what they experienced was from God when in fact it was from the evil one.

Pray the prayer when you are driving, when you are washing up or setting the table. If you find yourself being distracted in church, pray the prayer. If you find yourself giving in to anger or temptation, pray the prayer to bring your focus back to Christ and rediscover the strength he had given you to resist your passions. This use of the prayer will bring you nothing but benefit and you don't need a prayer rope to do it.

John.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.