Kirk Cameron's documentary "MONUMENTAL: In Search of America's National Treasure"

Suomipoika

Vito Corleone
Dec 3, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
✟23,288.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know (the synopsis link is broken on his page) but you can get a study guide and a 40 day family devotional to go with it Monumental Resources

Kirk Cameron is well-known for being a none-too-bright yec - think crocoduck and how God created bananas in the perfect shape (google for lulz).

Upvote 0

Suomipoika

Vito Corleone
Dec 3, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
✟23,288.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'm currently listening to a YouTube interview of Cameron, and it sounds as if he was confusing the "forefathers" (the Plymouth Colony Pilgrims of 1620->) with the "founding fathers" (the founders of the United States of 1760-> or so). Will have to listen and watch further to be sure...

...of course, it would be another question why the Plymouth Pilgrims would be considered *the* "forefathers" of the USA, why not as well all the colonists down in Virginia, New Amsterdam, New Sweden, Pennsylvania etc. (many of whom were there before the Pilgrims)?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Strange you say that, since you had to cut the end of his sentence where he shows why Cameron is not terribly bright. I guess you are proving your own statement?

...Daisy go in for surgery or something? :p

Upvote 0

Btodd

Oct 7, 2003
✟20,354.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Any suspicious interpretation of history involved?

David Barton is featured in the film, so the easy answer is 'Yes'. Be prepared for the usual 'America was founded as a Christian Nation' revisionism, among whatever further hilarity Kirky has swallowed this time.

Btodd

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Remember, kids: when you can't refute them, just call them names.

This strike me as the adult version of "they make fun of you cause they're jealous." Didn't make sense in grade school either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Anyone seen this? Comments?

What was the "coming disaster" that Cameron is talking about and wants his country to avoid? When does he think it got started and how? Any suspicious interpretation of history involved?

I wouldn't call this film revisionist history, but "selective history". As you noted Cameron is acting as if Plymouth Colony was the first and only European and British settlers in what now is U.S. territory. Jamestown predated it by over a decade and was primarily an economic outpost. Also, by highlighting how wonderful the folks in Plymouth were, they ignore the harsh dark side of the colony which lead to things like the Witch Trials in Salem and Roger Williams having to leave and found Rhode Island in order find actual religious freedom.

The fact that David Barton is involved in this propaganda piece says everything about it I need to know... above and beyond Crocoduck Boy's participation.

Reactions: Suomipoika
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Remember, kids: when you can't refute them, just call them names.

As Daisy noted, Cameron isn't a bright guy. Anyone who considers himself sufficiently informed on a subject (like evolutionary theory) to go on TV and attack it while clearly having no understanding of it is either an idiot or suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Kirkcameroncrocoduck.JPG

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And for those that haven't witnessed the banana-as-proof of God's existence video, I paste it below for your viewing pleasure. While watching it, think of one word. Coconut.

Kirk Cameron And Bananas - YouTube

• Informative
Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ever notice that the tomato makes the perfect projectile to fit in a child's hands? Not so heavy it can't be sufficiently lobbed, not so light that it doesn't have trajectory. Yet it remains just a tomato. Why don't we see something like half tomato half tobacco?

Tomacco.jpg

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Grizzly said:
And for those that haven't witnessed the banana-as-proof of God's existence video, I paste it below for your viewing pleasure. While watching it, think of one word. Coconut.

Is that how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped?

It makes it easier for God to have "the whole world in his hands"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't know (the synopsis link is broken on his page) but you can get a study guide and a 40 day family devotional to go with it Monumental Resources

Kirk Cameron is well-known for being a none-too-bright yec - think crocoduck and how God created bananas in the perfect shape (google for lulz).

Synopsis link works for me. But it looks like it is a pop-up and more and more people have pop-ups disabled (for good reasons).

One more example of being out of touch with the rest of the world.

Here is the synopsis, note American Exceptionalism is taken to a new level, not best, best ever. All that remains to add is "The best there ever will be".

Film Synopsis

Monumental is the story of America’s beginnings. Presented, produced, and starring Kirk Cameron, the 90-minute true story follows this father of six across Europe and the U.S. as he seeks to discover America’s true “national treasure” – the people, places, and principles that made America the freest, most prosperous and generous nation the world has ever known.
Monumental is heralded as “inspiring,” “beautifully executed,” “powerful,” and “one meant to teach.”
Long regarded as “the land of opportunity,” there’s no question the tiny band of religious outcasts who founded this country hit upon a formula for success that went way beyond what they could have imagined. How else can you explain the fact that they established a nation that has become the best example of civil, economic and religious liberty the world has ever known?

What formula did they discover? What motivated them to come here in the first place? More importantly, how can we apply these same foundational truths today?
Take your family on a new adventure to discover the true national treasure of America. Monumental is playing now in select theaters.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Suomipoika

Vito Corleone
Dec 3, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
✟23,288.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
From the synopsis: "Long regarded as “the land of opportunity,” there’s no question the tiny band of religious outcasts who founded this country..."

Woah woah woah wait a sec. The small Plymouth Colony of Pilgrims were the ones who "founded the United States of America"?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
From the synopsis: "Long regarded as “the land of opportunity,” there’s no question the tiny band of religious outcasts who founded this country..."

Woah woah woah wait a sec. The small Plymouth Colony of Pilgrims were the ones who "founded the United States of America"?

This is history in Bartonistan. There were no other colonies (British or otherwise) and no other groups who influenced the direction and worldview of those who, 150 years later, would actually found the United States.

Upvote 0