Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

philosopherthales

Oct 30, 2004
✟583.00
Faith
Deist
South Korea? Are they just asking to be attacked?

???

Who would attack them? I think you are confusing them with North Korea. The only people I can think of who would attack South Korea would be the North Koreans, but I can't imagine this being a trigger in that situation. On the other hand, if you mixed them up, I can see where you could come up with what you said. When people hear about weapons development in that country, they have said things like "they are asking to be attacked".

On another note, I wonder if the mine sweeping version is specifically made to counter the DMZ defenses if the South Koreans wanted to.

Upvote 0

philosopherthales

Oct 30, 2004
✟583.00
Faith
Deist
Ask and you shall recieve

The turtle-like, 90-centimeter- (three-foot-) long Banryu is one of the robots already on sale. But it's not cheap at 1.98 million yen (US$16,600). [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]It takes digital photos of a home and sends them to mobile phones so people can check for possible intruders. And it belts out an electronic roar if it ``sees'' a stranger.[/font]
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/japan_robots_030402.htm

military applications are a direct extension of this security robot.

A remote-controlled robot known as Souryu, or blue dragon, is 1.2 m long, and was designed by the Tokyo Institute of Technology's Hirose. The snake-like Souryu crawls using six tracks, two on each side of its three-part body. It is equipped with a camera and microphone to search for victims, and can bend at the joints or roll over on its side to manoeuvre through rubble.

Another robot, the COMET III, is a spider-like robot designed by Professor Kenzo Nonami of Chiba University as part of a state-funded project to develop de-mining technologies for use in Afghanistan.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s859346.htm

There you have a spybot for bombed out warzones and a robot for de-mining.

"My belief is that people shouldn't have to do dangerous tasks,"

Yeah, they already have military robots way before this Korean stuff. The U.S. also has tracked-robots with weapons mounted on currently deployed in Iraq.

Reactions: Nyvvy777
Upvote 0

NormalDan

May 17, 2005
✟304.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
a joint project worth 32.4 million dollars to develop the robot system by 2011.

That's a lot of money. Once they get a good working system, it's going to cost quite a bit per unit. They aren't going to be very expendable. Humans on the other hand are a dime a dozen, and they can generally do a better job. Plus, they are expendable. In my humble opinion, they should spend the money to build super intelligent robots with limited mobility that can act as generals and strategists. That will also leave more room in the front line for human soldiers.

Just my two cents :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
SkyNet rises...

terminator.jpg

Ok, so its a Japanese pic, but you know...

Upvote 0