Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What is "Al-taqiyya" and how would you know if any who deny it is telling the truth . They all say they are peaceful until the ball is in their court . Al-taqiyya is a license to lie for Islam .

That sounds familiar. Perhaps our own government has taken to using Al-taqiyya as well.

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
That sounds familiar. Perhaps our own government has taken to using Al-taqiyya as well.
I know right ?

It didn't hit me till i read your post, that THAT is EXACTLY what our government is doing.

Now it makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
How many people has ISIS killed in the last month?

If the Daily Mail is anything to go off of, their global death toll for the month of June was about 800. Meanwhile, Malaria probably killed more than that yesterday (based on an average of annual deaths). Again: peanuts. It's a tragedy, but you are still blowing it way out of proportion.

It is not tiny. Burying your head in the sand and pretending it is will not help anyone. While I may be safe here in my little cozy office, my friends are in danger. I lost two in France. How about you?

My SO lost a family member to cancer yesterday. You know how many people die of cancer in a month, worldwide? 683,000.

Let me ask you something. Do you drive? If so, you are at a greater risk of dying in a car crash every single time you step foot in that car than you are at risk of dying in a terrorist attack. In fact, it's not even close - traffic accidents, like cancer, malaria, and many others, kill more people per day than terrorists can manage to kill in a month. Why are you so terrified of such a statistically tiny threat? It seems borderline pathological; like you're so scared of being struck by lightning that you refuse to go outside if there's a cloud in the sky. We need to move past this as a society. Terrorism is scary. But it's not this constant looming threat. Your odds of dying in a terrorist attack are similar to your odds of dying from a cattle stampede.

Reactions: SepiaAndDust
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If the Daily Mail is anything to go off of, their global death toll for the month of June was about 800. Meanwhile, Malaria probably killed more than that yesterday (based on an average of annual deaths). Again: peanuts. It's a tragedy, but you are still blowing it way out of proportion.

My SO lost a family member to cancer yesterday. You know how many people die of cancer in a month, worldwide? 683,000.

Let me ask you something. Do you drive? If so, you are at a greater risk of dying in a car crash every single time you step foot in that car than you are at risk of dying in a terrorist attack. In fact, it's not even close - traffic accidents, like cancer, malaria, and many others, kill more people per day than terrorists can manage to kill in a month. Why are you so terrified of such a statistically tiny threat? It seems borderline pathological; like you're so scared of being struck by lightning that you refuse to go outside if there's a cloud in the sky. We need to move past this as a society. Terrorism is scary. But it's not this constant looming threat. Your odds of dying in a terrorist attack are similar to your odds of dying from a cattle stampede.

Yes, ISIS needs to be stomped out. They have declared war on us how many times, and we sit here like sitting ducks, as does the rest of the world.

That's insane.

This country should've already done away with ISIS.

They should be yesterday's memory.

Our leaders and/or us putting our heads in the sand is never a good thing.

As a matter of fact, it's deadly.

God help us.

Trump, 2016.

"Da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt." ~Mark Twain

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This country should've already done away with ISIS.

I don't disagree. Ideally, ISIS would be a thing of the past. As would be Al Qaeda, and islamic terrorism as a whole.

Why do you think we haven't done that? After all:

Yes, ISIS needs to be stomped out. They have declared war on us how many times, and we sit here like sitting ducks, as does the rest of the world.

ISIS has indeed declared an open-ended war against the west. Why haven't we killed all of them? What possible motivation could we have for not just going in there and killing them all?

I'll give you a hint: it's not that simple. They aren't uniformed fighters. They aren't playing by the rules of war. Any attempt to wipe out ISIS will necessarily have a huge number of civilian casualties. And when you consider that ISIS tightly controls media access to those citizens, it will lead to a lot more people with nothing left to lose who are really mad at the USA. And meanwhile, we've committed an atrocity, spent millions of dollars, and for what?

There's no quick and easy solution to ISIS or other forms of islamic terrorism. No, not even a psychopathic strongman like Trump being willing to level Iraq.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Airstrikes-600-LI.jpg

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But, but, but what about all of those environmentally friendly refrigerants they've been devising and using the last 30 years to combat manmade global warming and cooling???

So is Lurch saying they are useless, or is Lurch just saying Lurch is useless???
No not at all.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Protocol

CFCs are being phased out gradually, and Kerry is in Vienna discussing the next phase.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But, but, but what about all of those environmentally friendly refrigerants they've been devising and using the last 30 years to combat manmade global warming and cooling???

So is Lurch saying they are useless, or is Lurch just saying Lurch is useless???
Neither, the Montreal protocol on replacing CFCs gradually has worked now they are discussing this
Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs)Edit
Produced mostly in developed countries, hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) replaced CFCs and HCFCs. HFCs pose no harm to the ozone layer because, unlike CFCs and HCFCs, they do not contain chlorine. But it has been established that HFCs are not innocuous either.[16] They are greenhouse gases, with a high global warming potential (GWP), comparable to that of CFCs and HCFCs.

The Montreal Protocol does not currently address HFCs, but these substances figure in the basket of six greenhouse gases under the Kyoto Protocol. Developed countries following the Kyoto Protocol report their HFC emission data to UNFCCC; parties to the Montreal Protocol have no such obligation.

In November 2015 in Dubai, at the 27th Meeting of Parties of the Montreal Protocol, the 197 countries and other parties which participate in the Montreal Protocol agreed to begin working on an amendment to the Protocol which will reduce production and consumption of HFCs.[17]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Neither the Montreal protocol on replacing CFCs gradually has worked now they are discussing this
Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs)Edit
Produced mostly in developed countries, hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) replaced CFCs and HCFCs. HFCs pose no harm to the ozone layer because, unlike CFCs and HCFCs, they do not contain chlorine. But it has been established that HFCs are not innocuous either.[16] They are greenhouse gases, with a high global warming potential (GWP), comparable to that of CFCs and HCFCs.

The Montreal Protocol does not currently address HFCs, but these substances figure in the basket of six greenhouse gases under the Kyoto Protocol. Developed countries following the Kyoto Protocol report their HFC emission data to UNFCCC; parties to the Montreal Protocol have no such obligation.

In November 2015 in Dubai, at the 27th Meeting of Parties of the Montreal Protocol, the 197 countries and other parties which participate in the Montreal Protocol agreed to begin working on an amendment to the Protocol which will reduce production and consumption of HFCs.[17]
I see. So you are saying the representatives of all these countries are working to combat the environmental threat from greenhouse gases. Is that right? Is there some way we could twist, misrepresent and outright lie about what they are doing so we can make Secretary Kerry look bad? That would be useful, surely?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I see. So you are saying the representatives of all these countries are working to combat the environmental threat from greenhouse gases. Is that right? Is there some way we could twist, misrepresent and outright lie about what they are doing so we can make Secretary Kerry look bad? That would be useful, surely?
Just edited my post, forgot to include the comma after neither:doh:

Reactions: Picky Picky
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And, in carrying on with the example: How many people have died of water born disease in the last month? A paulty 120,000 (according to numbers provided above). How many WERE killed by ISIS in the past month, by the way?

It IS tiny and making it into a bigger threat than it is lends itself PRECISELY into what the "terrorists" want to accomplish (you will see the word "terror" in there for a reason). In the grand scheme of all the death in this world, it is tiny, whether it impacts me, you, or my best friend directly.

You want to win the war on terror? Don't be terrified. It's suuuuper simple.

Oh I'm not terrified. I've been pretty clear that I just expect better from politicians. When ISIS is the headlines, and people are dying because of it, it's not a good idea to compare global warming (something that may or may not actually be a thing, who knows) and equal it to terrorism.

brinny my friend.
Be not affraid.
Trust in the Lord.

I trust in the Lord completely.

But I still look both ways before I cross the street.

God doesn't tell us Christians to sit back and enjoy the show.

Again, I'm sure the people in France and Germany agree(d) with you.

No one is saying be terrified.

It's hard to get politicians, specifically Dems, to even acknowledge that terrorism exists. Kerry's gaffe is just further evidence of "sure, those guys killed some people, but LOOK WHAT GLOBAL WARMING IS DOING!!".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oh I'm not terrified. I've been pretty clear that I just expect better from politicians. When ISIS is the headlines, and people are dying because of it, it's not a good idea to compare global warming (something that may or may not actually be a thing, who knows) and equal it to terrorism.
That was directed at the person who wrote this:
Yes, it's terrorism killing right now, ev'ry where.

It's urgent.

Deadly.

A crisis.

A tsunami of murder that steadily claims more lives.

It's an SOS call.

I trust in the Lord completely.

But I still look both ways before I cross the street.
Kerry likens ISIS to fridges in terms of danger: "Preposterous". You compare it (in relative danger) to crossing the street: rational, reasonable, and totally sensible.

It REALLY doesn't look like anyone is having success in making direct comparisons with ISIS these days.

God doesn't tell us Christians to sit back and enjoy the show.
So where is the show enjoyment from people dying from dysentry? From starvation? From deaths that are EASILY preventable and easily solveable. Whatever God calls us to do, we as Christians are consistently FAILING at it. So again, why care so suddenly about a relatively minor threat?

It's hard to get politicians, specifically Dems, to even acknowledge that terrorism exists. Kerry's gaffe is just further evidence of "sure, those guys killed some people, but LOOK WHAT GLOBAL WARMING IS DOING!!".
It's not hard. When the evidence is there to support terrorist activities, it is acknowledged. What some people have come to realize is that bombing poor countries to oblivion and killing citizens is not the way to win hearts and minds. This twisted idea that you need to be tougher than them is going to rear up again and bite America in the butt; more attacks will come because of it, and you (the "collective you") will throw your lilly white hands up in the air, wondering "How can these barbarians kill us like this? They must hate our freedom".

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Kerry likens ISIS to fridges in terms of danger: "Preposterous". You compare it (in relative danger) to crossing the street: rational, reasonable, and totally sensible.

That comment was solely about trusting the Lord. I'd have said that no matter what we were talking about.

Yeah, we know the end of the story, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be cautious.

As to the rest, I don't have time to address it right now. My point still stands. Agree or disagree, that's fine.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

This might be your problem: global warming is not "something that may or may not actually be a thing, who knows". Almost every scientific institution in the world agrees: Global warming is happening, human consumption of fossil fuels is responsible for most of it, the effects will be largely negative.

No one is saying be terrified.

Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani seem to disagree. In fact, Republicans have been telling us to be terrified since 2002.

It's hard to get politicians, specifically Dems, to even acknowledge that terrorism exists.

Nonsense. When has this ever happened?

Kerry's gaffe is just further evidence of "sure, those guys killed some people, but LOOK WHAT GLOBAL WARMING IS DOING!!".

Yeah. It's about putting it into context. Some politicians want us to do whatever it takes to stop ISIS. Meanwhile, they won't lift a finger on climate change, despite it killing far, far more.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-kills-400-000-a-year-new-report-reveals.html

What is new about the Climate Vulnerability Monitor report is its calculation of 400,000 annual deaths from climate change. That is a significant increase over previous estimates. The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the gold standard for climate science, said in its Fourth Assessment Report in 2007 that climate change caused 150,000 extra deaths a year.

But the 150,000 figure took into account only deaths from malnutrition, malaria, and diarrhea caused by contaminated water, a common result of floods. Excluded were the effects of heat waves, crop losses due to an increase in pests, and a range of other deadly diseases, which can be substantial. For example, the record-breaking heat wave that blanketed Europe for six weeks in summer 2003 caused at least 71,449 excess deaths, according to a 2008 study sponsored by the European Union.​

Reactions: Oafman
Upvote 0