Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
“Never miss an opportunity to complement or encourage someone.”
author unknown

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God.”
Matthew 5:9 NKJV

I returned home from Vietnam in the summer of 1968. That fall I attended Indiana State University in Evansville. The next fall I decided to move to Springfield Missouri so I packed up what I had did a bunch of speed, got on my motorcycle and headed west on US highway 60. About two hours out I was in western Kentucky and it started to rain cats and dogs. I pulled into a service station to wait out the rain and there sat this older gentleman who had the love of God in him and it shinned like new money. There was an old guitar in there and he played a couple of songs and I blew some harmonica. That old man must have witnessed to me, I don’t remember. But the rain never let up, so I went down the road to a motel for the night. In the room I found a Bible and I picked it up and started reading the New Testament. The only reason I have for believing why I did that, is something the old man must have said. As I sat there long-hair and beard all cranked up on speed, I read this verse about the peacemakers and I thought surely this is me. I believed this for years until I came to know Jesus Christ the man who said the words. At that time of my life I was at war with everyone and everything and considered myself a peacemaker. How wrong I was. At that time in my life I was all about me. Today I realize that being a peacemaker is all about others and the love of God working through our lives. I think that old man in Kentucky sowed a seed that lay dormant for over twenty-four years until a correctional guard at Leeds Farm put a little water on it. I am grateful. God is still doing for me what I could not do for myself……….JRE

AA Step 9: Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Most people want peace in their lives, but many will never know the complete peace that is available to them, because they are not willing to be true peacemakers. We may simply want to put the past behind us, or at least sweep it under the rug, and get on with our lives. That is the “easy” way, the dysfunctional way of doing things.
We can have the courage and wisdom to be peacemakers because of God’s love working in and through us. First John 3:1 says, “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!” Not only do we have God’s love to guide us in our peacemaking; John 14:27 tells us that we have the promise of God’s own peace resting upon our lives, which frees us from fear.
With our hearts full of God’s love and peace, we can extend forgiveness and make appropriate amends where needed.
NELSON SERENITY BIBLE page 6

Words of Jesus, John 14:27 NIV

“Peace I leave you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”