Katrina Poll Taken...Racial Discrimination?

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
NFSteelers said:
Where exactly does she claim discrimination? She said that poverty and race go hand and hand.

The reference to the "old south" certainly wasn't one of claiming southern pride.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
NFSteelers said:
Where exactly does she claim discrimination? She said that poverty and race go hand and hand.

COME ON!

You don't think that "poverty and race" referred to African Americans? If her statement is true, two possibilities ONLY are possible.

1) African American's are disproportionately poor because the government has not righted the economic wrongs of segregation (only 50 or 60 years in the past)
2)African Americans are lazy, stupid, or both.

I think that I'll go with #1. Which would you choose? Or maybe you have a third possibility.

Upvote 0

rosenherman

Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten
Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
I <3 Abraham said:
COME ON!

You don't think that "poverty and race" referred to African Americans? If her statement is true, two possibilities ONLY are possible.

1) African American's are disproportionately poor because the government has not righted the economic wrongs of segregation (only 50 or 60 years in the past)

I think that I'll go with #1. Which would you choose? Or maybe you have a third possibility.
3. Victimization by the dems, they are so invested in keeping blacks believing they are dependent on the government for everything that they will do anything to keep blacks from succeeding.

Once you get a taste of attempting and acheiving, you leave the entitlement mindset behind and realize it is all up to you. When you do that, the dems lose their hold on you. And once again, their support base shrinks even more.

Upvote 0

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I <3 Abraham said:
COME ON!

It is a known fact that many African Americans are in poverty.... it deals with the fact that many of these people were raised poor, and so they become poor, and the cycle continues.

Upvote 0

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
NFSteelers said:
yes, because it was a breakdown of the system reacting to a catastrophic natural disaster, not because of race. There were young white women and children trapped in the Superdome. All races were involved.

In talking specifically about the massive group of people in the Superdome, there were a couple of white people there, but by far, the large majority of them were poor people and black people. I don't believe, like a few fiery zealots have claimed in outrage, that it was a deliberate action by the government not to rush aid and transportation out of the dome.

However, this country has had a long history of discrimination and racial violence against people of color, especially in the South, ever since the end of the Civil War. Prior to that, we had institutionalized slavery in about half of our country. Eugenics and race played a part in our country in anti-miscegenation laws : http://www.eugenicsarchive.org/html/eugenics/essay7text.html

My point was that Hurricane Katrina didn't reveal so much deliberate racial discrimination on the part of the government, but that there is indeed a large and once-again growing divide in this country between race AND classes. I think poor people and black people are just not on everyone's radar screen in terms of a social problem.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
rosenherman said:
3. Victimization by the dems, they are so invested in keeping blacks believing they are dependent on the government for everything that they will do anything to keep blacks from succeeding.

Once you get a taste of attempting and acheiving, you leave the entitlement mindset behind and realize it is all up to you. When you do that, the dems lose their hold on you. And once again, their support base shrinks even more.

Do you have a source for this? It sounds a lot like partisan finger pointing, my post was a straightforward reading of Condoleeza Rice's comment. Is she a "Dem"? She called it a holdover from the "old south", not a holdover from "old Carter" or "old clinton".

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
NFSteelers said:
It is a known fact that many African Americans are in poverty.... it deals with the fact that many of these people were raised poor, and so they become poor, and the cycle continues.

I agree, this goes back, oh you know, a couple hundred years. Unless, of course, there is some point in American history I am forgetting.

Point 1-Equal opportunity amendment. Have we SERIOUSLY addressed the problems prompted the passage of the EEA? The answer is no, and you seem to agree with me since equal opportunity exists only nominally, not in reality.

Let me ask you this question: should the government try to redress the economic disparities that exist along racial lines?

If not who should address this problem?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
MichaelFJF said:
It has to be a racial issue. How else would you explain all that aid instantaneously appearing in Mississippi where the majority of people were white?

Well nothing instantly appeared anywhere, white or black.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My thoughts:

A person continously threatening sexual harrassment is doing sexual harrassment,
People that continue to accuse racism, are in fact being racist.

NOt saying this might turn out to be a racist issue, but to accuse without the benefit of truth, that is racism.

Racism, any race doing it is wrong.

If you want special treatment for your race then you need to leave this country.
NO ONE should be above another race. No one should be below another race.
And unless you are American Indian you are an imigrant. How your family got here has no influence on how I live my life or spend my money.

How about stepping forward and making something with your life instead of
screaming, to any that listen, that you can't do something because some other race is keeping you down!

We all decide what to do with our lives. I could sit around with the chains of welfare on my ankle and complain about rich people not allowing me to make a living. But I choose to take resposibility and make a living my family can be proud of.
Racism is a problem, but it's more of an excuse then an everyday occurance.

Reactions: Oblivious
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
MichaelFJF said:
It has to be a racial issue. How else would you explain all that aid instantaneously appearing in Mississippi where the majority of people were white?

Percentage of people living in poverty (top 3 and bottom 3 compared)
Number of PeoplePercentage
United States 11.9%
Louisiana 18.3%
Mississippi 18.2%
New Mexico 18.2%
Connecticut 7.5%
Minnesota 7.5%
New Hampshire 6.8%

Additionally poverty rates are more than double and nearly tripl in black families compared to white ones. http://www.plu.edu/~poverty/stats/home.html

Now to the real bread and butter. Mississippi has a HUGE black population. This statistic was used for a different argument, but I only am interested in the data.

"Mississippi, a state with a 35% Black population, somehow manages to keep its annual rate of violent crimes under 600 crimes per 100,000 persons per year. That's an astonishingly low rate of violence for a state with so many Blacks. Mississippi's rate is commensurate with those of Pennsylvania and Connecticut, which states are only nine percent Black"
http://www.jabpage.org/features/racestat/racestat10.html

The black population in America is only 12%. (this is from the census)
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_sse=on

So mississippi although "mostly white" has almost 3 times as many black people the national average.

What was your argument again?

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Billnew said:
My thoughts:

A person continously threatening sexual harrassment is doing sexual harrassment,

NOt saying this might turn out to be a racist issue, but to accuse without the benefit of truth, that is racism.

If you want special treatment for your race then you need to leave this country.
And unless you are American Indian you are an imigrant. How your family got here has no influence on how I live my life or spend my money.

screaming, to any that listen, that you can't do something because some other race is keeping you down!

We all decide what to do with our lives. I could sit around with the chains of welfare on my ankle and complain about rich people not allowing me to make a living. But I choose to take resposibility and make a living my family can be proud of.

You: why should we help the poor? It's their fault their poor, why dont they make their situation better?

Christ:WHAT?!?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.pollingreport.com/race.htm

The above link shows various polls, many of them recent, on perceptions about race and ethnicity in America by whites, blacks and Hispanics. Although there appears to be agreement in many cases by whites and blacks about reasons for social problems within the black community - several cited were problems such as single teen motherhood, drugs and alcoholism, lack of moral values - there was a wider gap in the perception of white racism present in American society, and what to do as far as helping to narrow the income gap between minorities and whites.

The history of black people in American society is so very unique, in that blacks were brought to this country as slaves. Slavery and racism as an institution was in existence for about two hundred years and had a profound affect in shaping black people's cultural and economic history, and white people's relationships with black people. After slavery ended almost 150 years ago, Jim Crow laws and racism continued to shape relations between whites and blacks, up until the beginning of the civil rights movement 40-50 years ago. Although slowly changing in make-up, there is still a signficant division in terms of social ties between whites and blacks. How many blacks and whites are neighbors, are friends, are related to one another, worship together? The only thing that will change that, hopefully, will be increased rates of intermarriage. Until then, social separation will continue to maintain the gap all the way around.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
christalee4 said:
http://www.pollingreport.com/race.htm

The above link shows various polls, many of them recent, on perceptions about race and ethnicity in America by whites, blacks and Hispanics. Although there appears to be agreement in many cases by whites and blacks about reasons for social problems within the black community - several cited were problems such as single teen motherhood, drugs and alcoholism, lack of moral values - there was a wider gap in the perception of white racism present in American society, and what to do as far as helping to narrow the income gap between minorities and whites.

The history of black people in American society is so very unique, in that blacks were brought to this country as slaves. Slavery and racism as an institution was in existence for about two hundred years and had a profound affect in shaping black people's cultural and economic history, and white people's relationships with black people. After slavery ended almost 150 years ago, Jim Crow laws and racism continued to shape relations between whites and blacks, up until the beginning of the civil rights movement 40-50 years ago. Although slowly changing in make-up, there is still a signficant division in terms of social ties between whites and blacks. How many blacks and whites are neighbors, are friends, are related to one another, worship together? The only thing that will change that, hopefully, will be increased rates of intermarriage. Until then, social separation will continue to maintain the gap all the way around.

:thumbsup:

You mean there is more to the problem of race in America than lack of proper bootstraps? Thank you for your thoughtful and informed post.

I don't think that intermarriage is necessarily the only solution however, off the top of my head I would say that a couple decades long process of improving public education and attempting to create meaningful prison reforms would go a long way.

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billnew said:
My thoughts:

This is the best post I've read in this thread - Reps to you.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Oblivious said:
This is the best post I've read in this thread - Reps to you.

Well since you think it the best post perhaps you can answer the question of how he knows racism isn't an everyday occurance.

Upvote 0

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I <3 Abraham said:
:thumbsup:

You mean there is more to the problem of race in America than lack of proper bootstraps? Thank you for your thoughtful and informed post.

I don't think that intermarriage is necessarily the only solution however, off the top of my head I would say that a couple decades long process of improving public education and attempting to create meaningful prison reforms would go a long way.

I agree with you as well on your two points. But think of this - if the majority of poor people in this country were white, don't you think that the top politicians of this country would put war on poverty at the top of their agendas?

Relationships and ties between kinsmen have a deep visceral effect on people. Race prejudice and hatred can't grow between friends and relations. Intermarriage will create more harmony and lessen social divisions between races.

Upvote 0