Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, today, I think, in a ceremony in St Paul's.

According to the official ABC's website, his tenure officially began on the 1st. There are a lot of ceremonial dates still to come, and his public ministry, as I stated before, does not actually begin until his enthronement in a month and a half (March 21st), but his actual tenure as the Archbishop of Canterbury, Primate of All England, and primus inter pares of all bishops and Primates of the Anglican Communion did begin on the 1st of February.

As seeking_perfection states, it can get confusing with all these various dates in which various ceremonies and events in the process occur.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know anything about him. Is he conservative, liberal, middle of the road...?

He's voiced his beliefs that homosexuality in terms of its activity is contrary to Christian teaching, although he affirms that homosexuals are people and deserve the same dignity as any other person (basically what Lambeth 1.10 says), and he's been even more clear that he favors complete women's ordination.

He is definitely on the more conservative side. Mind you, women's ordination is not a solely "liberal" possession; many conservative clergy and laity are vocal supporters of women bishops in England.

Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
He's voiced his beliefs that homosexuality in terms of its activity is contrary to Christian teaching, although he affirms that homosexuals are people and deserve the same dignity as any other person (basically what Lambeth 1.10 says)

Yep.

He is definitely on the more conservative side. Mind you, women's ordination is not a solely "liberal" possession; many conservative clergy and laity are vocal supporters of women bishops in England.

Perhaps - it's a very complicated issue in the C of E as it is often a combination of churchmanship and viewpoint. There are a fair few liberal Anglo-Catholics and broach-church Anglicans uncomfortable with women's ordination - they'd bite your head off if you called them conservative!

Justin's somewhat conservative but a charismatic - many of whom have no problem with women's ordination.

Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
According to the official ABC's website, his tenure officially began on the 1st. There are a lot of ceremonial dates still to come, and his public ministry, as I stated before, does not actually begin until his enthronement in a month and a half (March 21st), but his actual tenure as the Archbishop of Canterbury, Primate of All England, and primus inter pares of all bishops and Primates of the Anglican Communion did begin on the 1st of February.

Of course, as others have said, it really doesn't matter, but I think the date given on the archbishop's home page is an error. The ceremony it refers to, conducted by the Archbishop of York, took place on the 4th. On the Diary page it says:

Confirmation of Election at St Paul's Cathedral
Monday 4th February 2013
A legal ceremony, the Confirmation of Election, will take place on 4th February 2013 at St Paul's Cathedral. At this point, the Bishop of Durham will become the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kb5462

Oct 7, 2012
✟177.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Of course, as others have said, it really doesn't matter, but I think the date given on the archbishop's home page is an error. The ceremony it refers to, conducted by the Archbishop of York, took place on the 4th. On the Diary page it says:

Confirmation of Election at St Paul's Cathedral
Monday 4th February 2013
A legal ceremony, the Confirmation of Election, will take place on 4th February 2013 at St Paul's Cathedral. At this point, the Bishop of Durham will become the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Think about it like this: the Queen became the reigning monarch as soon as her father died. However, she didn't have her coronation until later. Yesterday's service was the handing over, so to speak; the enthroning on 21st March will be like the coronation. The time between yesterday's Confirmation and the enthronement is spent preparing the Archbishop for the tasks he has to do; his public ministry will then begin once he has been enthroned.

In response to the OP, I am delighted. It is a new era for the Church of England, and the Anglican Communion as a whole, and I'm very excited for what the future holds.

Upvote 0

seekingsister

Oct 2, 2012
UK
✟15,521.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep.

Perhaps - it's a very complicated issue in the C of E as it is often a combination of churchmanship and viewpoint. There are a fair few liberal Anglo-Catholics and broach-church Anglicans uncomfortable with women's ordination - they'd bite your head off if you called them conservative!

Justin's somewhat conservative but a charismatic - many of whom have no problem with women's ordination.

Yes, the charismatic evangelicals in CofE (like myself) are largely pro-women's ordination and status as bishops. The New Wine Network and Fulcrum, both evangelical groups (the former is not exclusively Anglican but includes many CofEs), are in favor of women bishops. +Justin comes from this background.

The Anglican Mainstream represents traditional evangelicals in the CofE, and they promote complementarian views quite explicitly.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm really excited about the future of the C of E, in particular, with ++Justin. And I think he's here at just the right time for the Anglican Communion as well.

I agree and I hope that you are right! Prayers for ++Justin :crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums