Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Justification/Righteousness/Salvation by Faith Alone
Rom 4:
1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather [a]humanly speaking, has found? [Has he obtained a favored standing?]

2 For if Abraham was justified [that is, acquitted from the guilt of his sins] by works [those things he did that were good], he has something to boast about, but not before God.

3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed in (trusted, relied on) God, and it was credited to his account as righteousness (right living, right standing with God).”

4 Now to a laborer, his wages are not credited as a favor or a gift, but as an obligation [something owed to him].

5 But to the one who does not work [that is, the one who does not try to earn his salvation by doing good], but believes and completely trusts in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited to him as righteousness (right standing with God).

6 And in this same way David speaks of the blessing on the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
(MY NOTE: Righteousness/a right standing with God is given thru FAITH apart from personal works. Also see (Eph 2:8-9)

7 “Blessed and happy and favored are those whose lawless acts have been forgiven, And whose sins have been covered up and completely buried.
(MY NOTE: All sins FORGIVEN & BURED thru FAITH placed in Christ's: death, burial & resurrection! Also see Rom 10:9-10, 1 Cor 15 1-4).

8 “Blessed and happy and favored is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account nor charge against him.
(MY NOTE: All praise, glory & honor belong to our Lord, Savior & God, Jesus the Christ. Amen & Amen

Acts 10:
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all those who were listening to the message [confirming God’s acceptance of Gentiles].
(MY NOTE: As Peter spoke, (Faith comes by hearing - Rom 10:17) those hearing believed)

45 All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles
(MY NOTE: Thru faith alone, regeneration/Christ's salvation sealing/eternal life giving Holy Spirit (2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, 2 Tim 1:14, Eph 4:30) was/is given!)

Rom 5:17 For if by the trespass of the one (Adam), death reigned through the one (Adam), much more surely will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in [eternal] life through the One, Jesus Christ.
(MY NOTE: The FREE GIGT of righteousness reign in [eternal] life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Rom 6:23 (B) the free gift of God [that is, His remarkable, overwhelming gift of grace to believers] is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(MY NOTE: God's "grace & eternal life re a free gift given to believers in Christ's sin payment & resurrection)

Rom. 3:24 and are being justified [declared free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God, and granted eternal life] as a gift by His [precious, undeserved] [c]grace, through the redemption [the payment for our sin] which is [provided] in Christ Jesus,

Post cross salvation (Christ's baptism/sealing with His Holy Spirit) is a free gift given via faith in the merits/work/sin payment & resurrection of Christ.

Final thought:
Righteousness/justification/eternal life are God's GIFTS to believers. A gift is given not earned.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobRyan

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Rom 4:
1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather [a]humanly speaking, has found? [Has he obtained a favored standing?]

2 For if Abraham was justified [that is, acquitted from the guilt of his sins] by works [those things he did that were good], he has something to boast about, but not before God.

3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed in (trusted, relied on) God, and it was credited to his account as righteousness (right living, right standing with God).”

4 Now to a laborer, his wages are not credited as a favor or a gift, but as an obligation [something owed to him].

5 But to the one who does not work [that is, the one who does not try to earn his salvation by doing good], but believes and completely trusts in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited to him as righteousness (right standing with God).

6 And in this same way David speaks of the blessing on the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
(MY NOTE: Righteousness/a right standing with God is given thru FAITH apart from personal works. Also see (Eph 2:8-9)

7 “Blessed and happy and favored are those whose lawless acts have been forgiven, And whose sins have been covered up and completely buried.
(MY NOTE: All sins FORGIVEN & BURED thru FAITH placed in Christ's: death, burial & resurrection! Also see Rom 10:9-10, 1 Cor 15 1-4).

8 “Blessed and happy and favored is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account nor charge against him.
(MY NOTE: All praise, glory & honor belong to our Lord, Savior & God, Jesus the Christ. Amen & Amen

Acts 10:
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all those who were listening to the message [confirming God’s acceptance of Gentiles].
(MY NOTE: As Peter spoke, (Faith comes by hearing - Rom 10:17) those hearing believed)

45 All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles
(MY NOTE: Thru faith alone, regeneration/Christ's salvation sealing/eternal life giving Holy Spirit (2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, 2 Tim 1:14, Eph 4:30) was/is given!)

Rom 5:17 For if by the trespass of the one (Adam), death reigned through the one (Adam), much more surely will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in [eternal] life through the One, Jesus Christ.
(MY NOTE: The FREE GIGT of righteousness reign in [eternal] life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Rom 6:23 (B) the free gift of God [that is, His remarkable, overwhelming gift of grace to believers] is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(MY NOTE: God's "grace & eternal life re a free gift given to believers in Christ's sin payment & resurrection)

Rom. 3:24 and are being justified [declared free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God, and granted eternal life] as a gift by His [precious, undeserved] [c]grace, through the redemption [the payment for our sin] which is [provided] in Christ Jesus,

Post cross salvation (Christ's baptism/sealing with His Holy Spirit) is a free gift given via faith in the merits/work/sin payment & resurrection of Christ.

Final thought:
Righteousness/justification/eternal life are God's GIFTS to believers. A gift is given not earned.
I agree with a lot of the above.

Gal 1:6-9 there is only one Gospel
Gal 3:8 - that "Gospel was preached to Abraham"

John 8: Abraham saw My day and was glad
Heb 4:2 "The Gospel was preached to us - just as it was to them also"

1 Peter 1:
10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

Eternal Life salvation is given to any person who trust in The Messiah for Eternal Life. Believe that He, Jesus is the promised prophesied Messiah from The Tanakh and is The Resurrection and Life.

A person who does trust in The Messiah crosses over from death to life and becomes a born again child of God. Who can never be unborn even if they fall away from the faith, they are an Eternal born again child of God. No one can take them out of God's hand.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Rom 4:

In the same way that there is no such thing as being courageous apart from choosing to take actions that express courage, there is no such thing as being righteous apart from choosing to take actions that express righteousness. There can be any number of reasons for doing what is righteous, some of which are correct while others are incorrect, so what is said against incorrect reasons, such boasting (Romans 4:2) and earning our justification as a wage (Romans 4:4-5) should not be mistaken as speaking against correct reasons that have nothing to do with boasting or earning a wage, such as expressing our faith and love. In Romans 2:13, Paul said that only does of the law will be justified, so there must be correct reasons for why our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to rely on God is by obediently relying on what He has instructed, while it is contradictory for someone to think that we should rely on God and should not rely on what He has instructed.

Likewise, Ephesians 2:8-10 speaks against works does for the purpose of boasting, but it does not speak against works done for other purposes, because verse 10 says that we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so doing good works is nevertheless an intrinsic part of our salvation from not doing good works. In Romans 10:5-10, our faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey, that the one who obeys it will attain life, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing Jesus as Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God raised Jesus from the dead. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe everything in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (Acts 21:20).

Acts 10:

In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God. In Ezekiel 36:26-27, God will take away our hearts of stone, give us hearts of flesh, and sent His Spirit to lead us in obedience to His law, and in Jeremiah 31:33, God will put His law in our minds and write it on our hearts, so these verses are describing God circumcising our hearts. In Romans 2:25-29, the way to recognize that a Gentile has a circumcised heart is by observing their obedience to God's law and circumcision of the heart is a matter of the Spirit, which is in contrast with Acts 7:51-53, where those with uncircumcised hearts resist the Spirit and do not obey God's law.

Again, there is no such thing as being righteous apart from being someone who chooses to do what is righteous, so the gift of righteousness is the gift of becoming someone who chooses to do what is righteous in obedience to God's law. Likewise, that is the content of Gods gift of eternal life. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him his way that he might know Him and Israel too, and in John 17:3, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus. In Romans 2:6-7, eternal life is given to those who persist in doing good. In Matthew 19:17, Jesus said that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments. In Luke 10:25-28, Jesus said that the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying the greatest two commandments. In Hebrews 5:9, Jesus has become a source of eternal salvation for those who obey him. In Revelation 22:14, those who obeyed God's commandments were given the right to eat from the Tree of Life.
In Romans 6:19-23, we are no longer to present ourselves as slaves to impurity, lawlessness, and sin, but are now to present ourselves as slaves to God and to righteousness leading to sanctification, and the goal of sanctification is eternal life in Christ, which is the gift of God, so again obedience to God's law is the content of His gift of eternal life.

Final thought:
God's law was never given as a means of earning our righteousness/justification/eternal life, but rather it was given as a gift to teach us how to know Him, or in other words, how to have a relationship with Him, and it is through knowing Him that we have eternal life (John 17:3).

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eternal Life salvation is given to any person who trust in The Messiah for Eternal Life. Believe that He, Jesus is the promised prophesied Messiah from The Tanakh and is The Resurrection and Life.
A person who does trust in The Messiah crosses over from death to life and becomes a born again child of God. Who can never be unborn even if they fall away from the faith, they are an Eternal born again child of God. No one can take them out of God's hand.
What you are claiming is NOT what scripture says.
Hebrews 10:25-31
(25) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
(26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
(27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
(28) He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
(29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
(30) For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
(31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God
This is not a warning to the lost "if we [Christians] sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, became Christians, there remains no more sacrifice for sins," Christ's sacrifice for sins is nullified.
This is a warning to Christians, "a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the [Christians who have become] adversaries.
Someone that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much worse punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden underfoot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite [insult] unto the Spirit of grace?
Again, this is a warning to Christians who were sanctified by the blood of the covenant then treat it like an unholy thing and insulted the spirit of grace.
Then God says "Vengeance belongs to me, I will recompense, The Lord shall judge his people.
It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. That does not sound like all mankind will be saved.

Reactions: Markie Boy
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What you are claiming is NOT what scripture says.
(25) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
(26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
(27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
(28) He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
(29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
(30) For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
(31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God
This is not a warning to the lost "if we [Christians] sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, became Christians, there remains no more sacrifice for sins," Christ's sacrifice for sins is nullified.
This is a warning to Christians, "a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the [Christians who have become] adversaries.
Someone that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much worse punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden underfoot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite [insult] unto the Spirit of grace?
Again, this is a warning to Christians who were sanctified by the blood of the covenant then treat it like an unholy thing and insulted the spirit of grace.
Then God says "Vengeance belongs to me, I will recompense, The Lord shall judge his people.
It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. That does not sound like all mankind will be saved.

The whole of people, who follow christianity, are so ate up with works salvation. I have addressed these verses again and again, so if you want to read the linked articles feel free to. But i am not going to spend more time going over the same discussion, i have had many times before.

A Punishment Worse Than Death — Hebrews 10:26-31 – Grace Evangelical Society

https://faithalone.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/04-Tanner-Hebrews-10.pdf

More Questions about Salvation in Hebrews – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The whole of people, who follow christianity, are so ate up with works salvation. I have addressed these verses again and again, so if you want to read the linked articles feel free to. But i am not going to spend more time going over the same discussion, i have had many times before.

A Punishment Worse Than Death — Hebrews 10:26-31 – Grace Evangelical Society

https://faithalone.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/04-Tanner-Hebrews-10.pdf

More Questions about Salvation in Hebrews – Grace Evangelical Society
A misinformed attempt to use my post for your own soap box. You didn't address anything I said. You don't need to go over anything previous. Whatever you post I can and will refute.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A misinformed attempt to use my post for your own soap box. You didn't address anything I said. You don't need to go over anything previous. Whatever you post I can and will refute.
Refute this:
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Show a verse or verse stating a born again child of God (a believer) can cross back over from life to death and lose their born again child of God status.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Refute this:
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
Show a verse or verse stating a born again child of God (a believer) can cross back over from life to death and lose their born again child of God status.
I did already my post #5 above. Which you replied to but did not address.

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not one mention in Hebrews about a believer becoming unborn and crossing back over from life to death.
You didn't read my post or you ignored what I posted.
(31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.​

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You didn't read my post or you ignored what I posted.

(31) It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

The verses in Hebrews, again are not not saying, what you are trying to make them say.
Which is, a believer is in danger of losing their eternal life. You think this because the use of judgment and fiery indignation.

What is in view here is God taking Judgment on believers who are going to leave the assembly and possibly a return to Judaism. God will judge them and more than likely take their earthly life. They are trampling underfoot the new convent, so if God judged Israel under the old convent and the new convent is far superior. How much more will God judge these believers for trampling underfoot The Messiah sacrifice.

Hebrews 10 is not a warning to believers, that if they do leave the faith, God will judge them and take away their eternal life.

An example of God judging believers and taking their life is Ananias and Sapphire

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The verses in Hebrews, again are not not saying, what you are trying to make them say.
Which is, a believer is in danger of losing their eternal life. You think this because the use of judgment and fiery indignation.
What is in view here is God taking Judgment on believers who are going to leave the assembly and possibly a return to Judaism. God will judge them and more than likely take their earthly life. They are trampling underfoot the new convent, so if God judged Israel under the old convent and the new convent is far superior. How much more will God judge these believers for trampling underfoot The Messiah sacrifice.
Hebrews 10 is not a warning to believers, that if they do leave the faith, God will judge them and take away their eternal life.
An example of God judging believers and taking their life is Ananias and Sapphire
Thank you for this unsupported opinion. I learned to read English when FDR was president. I learned to read Greek and Hebrew when Reagan was president. Therefore, I do not require instruction in any of the three. In the absence of any credible evidence to the contrary what I quoted says what it says.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Context is always key.

Heb 10 context opens teaching: Christ’s Sacrifice is BETTER because it is Once for All time.

Synopsis:

Verses 1-14: OT law sacrifices were endlessly repeated & a mere shadow of the BETTER Once for All time sin sacrifice to come. Bulls & goats animal sacrifices didn't remove sin (only covered) or guilt of the worshiper.

Verses 15-17: Cite OT Holy Spirit inspired proclamation of a new BETTER Blood sin management covenant to come.

Verse 18: When this new BETTER sin management is invoked. Sin will be forgiven/removed/washed away (guilt too) & NO further sacrifice for sin will be necessary/required.

Verses 19- 25 Since our great High Priest's perpetually cleansing God blood sacrifice. There is no longer a need for a curtain veil that separates us from Gods presents.

Verse 26: Having said that: After we have heard/know the truth/having been drawn by the Holy Spirit. If we continue to sin & by bringing an animal sacrifice (to appease Jewish leadership & avoid their persecution. Recall the sower of seeds parable here)

Verse 29: Warning! Anyone that continues to bring an animal sin sacrifice. This rebellion against the BETTER God blood shed covenant is far worst than the rebellion their ancestors committed against Moses. Peace, JJ

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for this unsupported opinion. I learned to read English when FDR was president. I learned to read Greek and Hebrew when Reagan was president. Therefore, I do not require instruction in any of the three. In the absence of any credible evidence to the contrary what I quoted says what it says.

Well looks like your education has lead you astray, that is if you believe a born again believer can lose their eternal life and face judgment, resulting in the lake of fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well looks like your education has lead you astray, that is if you believe a born again believer can lose their eternal life and face judgment, resulting in the lake of fire.
I quoted scripture word for word. If you have a problem with the scripture I quoted go talk to the Big Guy, He wrote it.
Context is always key.

Heb 10 context opens teaching: Christ’s Sacrifice is BETTER because it is Once for All time.

Synopsis:

Verses 1-14: OT law sacrifices were endlessly repeated & a mere shadow of the BETTER Once for All time sin sacrifice to come. Bulls & goats animal sacrifices didn't remove sin (only covered) or guilt of the worshiper.

Verses 15-17: Cite OT Holy Spirit inspired proclamation of a new BETTER Blood sin management covenant to come.

Verse 18: When this new BETTER sin management is invoked. Sin will be forgiven/removed/washed away (guilt too) & NO further sacrifice for sin will be necessary/required.

Verses 19- 25 Since our great High Priest's perpetually cleansing God blood sacrifice. There is no longer a need for a curtain veil that separates us from Gods presents.

Verse 26: Having said that: After we have heard/know the truth/having been drawn by the Holy Spirit. If we continue to sin & by bringing an animal sacrifice (to appease Jewish leadership & avoid their persecution. Recall the sower of seeds parable here)

Verse 29: Warning! Anyone that continues to bring an animal sin sacrifice. This rebellion against the BETTER God blood shed covenant is far worst than the rebellion their ancestors committed against Moses. Peace, JJ
I can read English, Hebrew and Greek. I do not require anyone to try to explain to me what it "really means." The vss. I quoted say exactly what I quoted. There is no hidden meaning that only a select few can understand.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I quoted scripture word for word. If you have a problem with the scripture I quoted go talk to the Big Guy, He wrote it.

I can read English, Hebrew and Greek. I do not require anyone to try to explain to me what it "really means." The vss. I quoted say exactly what I quoted. There is no hidden meaning that only a select few can understand.
I've surfed these discussion forums for many years. These types is interpretation disagreements rarely lead to anyone moving anyone off their personal beliefs.

Der Alte, Although post #14 was placed due to a discussion you were in. I purposely didn't direct my reply to you.

I placed post 14 to hopefully help others that have struggled with the much debated Heb 10:26-29 verses.

Your interpretation is just that, Your interpretation. You're welcomed to promote your beliefs/heart, as am I. I respectfully disagree with your posted position. I believe Christians can disagree without being disagreeable. May His grace be multiplied to you & yours. JJ

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I decided to circle back to this post. You seem to have bought into the BIG con. that scripture is filled with secret, special language that only a select few can understand. Heb. 10 says nothing about Jewish Christians forsaking Jesus and returning to Judaism. But it most certainly addresses,
Hebrews 10:29 Of how much sorer [worse] punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden underfoot the Son of God, [by willful sinning vs. 26] and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, [means he/she was definitely a Christian] an unholy thing, and hath done despite [insult] unto the Spirit of grace?​

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I decided to circle back to this post. You seem to have bought into the BIG con. that scripture is filled with secret, special language that only a select few can understand. Heb. 10 says nothing about Jewish Christians forsaking Jesus and returning to Judaism. But it most certainly addresses,
Hebrews 10:29 Of how much sorer [worse] punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden underfoot the Son of God, [by willful sinning vs. 26] and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, [means he/she was definitely a Christian] an unholy thing, and hath done despite [insult] unto the Spirit of grace?

I never said this (a return to Judaism) was stated in chapter 10. That is one area the book of Hebrews is addressing being written most;y to Jewish believers.

From Zane Hodges (1985). Hebrews. The Warning of Hebrews 6
the author’s heavy stress on Jewish prototypes and his earnest polemic against the permanence of the Levitical system are best explained if the intended audience of the book of Hebrews was largely Jewish and inclined to be swayed back to their old faith.”

The number of times words such as sin (27) priest (26), blood (23), sacrifice (19), law (13), offering (10), and tabernacle (9) are used by the author reveal the book’s focus on the Levitical system of sacrifice.

Throughout the book of Hebrews, the author is presenting Christ and Christianity as superior to Judaism and the Levitical priesthood. The theme of the book is the superiority of Christ, as the writer presents Jesus as superior to the prophets and angels, and the “exact representation of [God’s] nature” (1:3). The eternal priesthood of Christ, after the order of Melchizedek, is shown to be superior to the Levitical priesthood, which was temporary in nature. The writer argues for the cessation of the Levitical priesthood and sacrificial system of worship. The word covenant appears 21 times in the book of Hebrews to emphasize the new covenant, mediated by Christ (12:24), which made the old [Mosaic] covenant obsolete (8:13).

The Hebrew believers were under pressure from the Jewish community to give up Christianity and return to their ancestral faith. The author of Hebrews repeatedly warns against any Jewish believers who are tempted to become apostate. It is significant that “Josephus and Eusebius record that for the Christianity’s first decades it remained a sect of Judaism.

So the author to Hebrews admonishes these Jewish believers to grow in their newfound faith (occurring 33 times) in God and challenges them to put aside their reliance on the dead works of Judaism (6:1; 9:14). Faith is a major theme in the book of Hebrews as evidenced by the “Hall of Faith” in chapter 11.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never said this (a return to Judaism) was stated in chapter 10. That is one area the book of Hebrews is addressing being written most;y to Jewish believers.
Is that not what this means in your post I quoted? "What is in view here is God taking Judgment on believers who are going to leave the assembly and possibly a return to Judaism."

Upvote 0