cushla4

Jul 25, 2011
Athlone
✟15,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I'm new here but have been a Christian for a number of years now. I have only just began to read the bible this year.
Thing is that I feel lost and feel that I am not hearing from God and I don't feel the Holy Spirit in me like I used to.

Its a horrible feeling and I actually have a physical heaviness, almost pain in my heart. I so want to feel the Holy Spirit's presence and I want to hear God.

Am I blocking them out somehow. Others seem to have such profound experiences and I feel nothing.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is about "feeling", friend, but assurance that you have done all that God says. Note the following quote that may help:

"There is a danger of intellectualizing God, rather than coming personally in faith (see Heb. 11:6). Here is something one should do:

Three things need to be appreciated to find God, be saved for eternity and enjoy His blessings:
1) Go into your "closet (Mt. 6:6) --private place away from other people, and speak humbly with your Creator-God;
2) Confess and own you are a sinner before God as He says (see Rom. 3:11-26), and you want to be saved, obey, and live for Him;
3) Confess to Him you are now receiving God's beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, into your heart as your Savior (read 1 Jn. 5:10-13), and give thanks honestly to the Lord Jesus for His sacrifice and suffering for you.

If you honestly do all that, you can go forth happy in your soul, walking and talking with the Lord Jesus, knowing from God's promises you have done all that is required in the Bible to be saved. The Lord Jesus will truly come and make His “abode” in you by the Holy Spirit, and you will be sealed as a child of God (see John 3 and John 14:23 and Eph. 1:13). It is really simple, but many miss salvation by taking short-cuts and follow religious ways and their own ideas, and are not honest and faithful in talking to the Savior. Be sure to read your Bible daily.

The above thoughts show that which is involved, but actually one can simply cry to the Lord Jesus to save oneself, and if done in real faith and trust in Him, God will do the work and convince one."

- 1 Watchman

Upvote 0

tcwoods91

Friend of God
Jun 11, 2011
Newberg, Oregon
Visit site
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our relationship with Jesus is exactly that, a relationship. You can read your Bible all you want, but if you are never connecting with God then it matters very little. Seek to know God more and more and you will be amazed at what happens in your life. When you read the Bible it will no longer be about just reading it and fulfilling some "requirement." It will be about drawing closer to the one and only true God. When this is happening your life is being transformed by God through the work of the Holy Spirit in Christ Jesus. It's all about the relationship with God. If the relationship is growing so will faith, love, and hope. Blessings my sister!

Upvote 0

s_s

Jul 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
✟7,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well blade :D
You say you've been Christian a while, but only just started reading the Bible? Can I ask - did you gradually come to faith, or can you define a moment when you "got saved"?
If it was gradual, it may be that you just aren't feeling that special joy of knowing that you're saved.
God speaks to us when we draw close. We do that via prayer. Are you part of any fellowship or prayer group? We all need to come together for edification and building up.

I hope you get that "unspeakable joy" back soon. it truly is unlike anything else.
All the best from sunny Tyrone.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've had what one would call "unspeakable joy". I do not currently have it, but that doesn't mean I think the Holy Spirit has left me since I have been baptized and sealed, however I felt the feeling before I was baptized - most likely leading me towards truth.

You can't rely on feelings. You can rely on the Word of God. He will not leave you or forsake you. You can only push him away. Pray for peace and request others to pray for you. I think this burden you have is a result of your own mind and fear.

Upvote 0

cushla4

Jul 25, 2011
Athlone
✟15,117.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes I am a Christian for years in that I believe in Christ and try to live a good life, but it is only lately that I have gotten in to reading the bible daily. Up to that I would dip i and out of it.

I attend a pentacostal church where I feel I belong and love going to. I have also completed the Alpha course and I have just started the Freedom in Christ course.

Yesterday my church friends prayed over me and I feel the presence of God yesterday and today.

I think its my own doubt that is affecting me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you have the holy spirit? He will give you the power to live a christian life. Human effort alone can't do this. Pray and you will get it. This will give you the inner strength to live the christian life.

Take one day at a time and get some inspirational friends that love God by their actions. Read the bible and pray daily. Get involved in a serious church. Its a life long lifestyle and you will know God more and more. True faith is demonstrated by actions than then the feelings will come. Feelings alone are like a roller coaster. Feel free to email me if have questions.

A method of praying-extra info
Adoration (if I do a to do list for God I'm left empty- when I praise Him because He's in control of the world and man is not I acknowledge He's God and I should let Him handle things bigger than me)
Confession (confess our sins and the things we forget to do like help someone)
Thanksgiving (all the things you're thankful for- I thank Him for my cats, our house all He's provided, for the hurricane that missed the NJ shore)
Supplication (for ourselves and others, help me stay focused at work, bless a person who is despairing)

Upvote 0