Just for final clarification yes, we evolved from monkeys.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
hmmmm on reptiles, I think that one actually is fair to say were not reptiles, could be wrong, but the one evolutionary tree I saw had humans splitting off from reptiles, before they became reptiles, as in they were still more amphibian end of the spectrum or such.

The same logic would apply. The common ancestor of reptiles and mammals, if alive today, would be classified as a reptile. The better term is actually amniote which includes both mammals and reptiles while excluding amphibians. The evolution of the amnion membrane in eggs allowed the amniotes to lay eggs on land instead of in water, an ability found in reptiles and some mammals (i.e. monotremes).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, a straight reply to your straight question. Do you disagree?
Yes, I disagree.

I'm not an evolutionist.

But for those who are: is Jesus a monkey, or isn't He?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When he was on Earth, he was one of the great apes, like the rest of us.
What about Heaven?

Doesn't He still have the nail scars (in human hands)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes, I disagree.

I'm not an evolutionist.

But for those who are: is Jesus a monkey, or isn't He?
If he's dead he's an ex-monkey. If he's alive he must be something else. You, I take it, believe he is alive, as would any Christian. Does that answer it?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Educate me. Doesn't incarnate mean embodied?

Yes, incarnate means embodied, or, more precisely, enfleshed. The human Jesus was God Incarnate. However, the human Jesus is no longer around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If he's dead he's an ex-monkey. If he's alive he must be something else. You, I take it, believe he is alive, as would any Christian. Does that answer it?
No.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
In colloquial language, we did evolve from monkeys. In scientific terms, there are no monkeys, either living or dead. To further cloud the issue, scientists often move freely from colloquial to scientific descriptions. However, if we stuck just to the scientific taxons, then not one of them would be called "monkey".

The real confusion springs from the fact that the colloquial terms predate the theory of evolution and do not reflect the tools that scientists currently use, namely cladistics. "Monkey" is a paraphyletic term, which is a big no-no in cladistics. Terms need to be monophyletic which means that the common ancestor and ALL descendants must be described by the same name. If we do stick with monkey, then humans are still monkeys according to cladistics.

Just to be clear, the same problem exists for other very common names such as reptile, mammal, and ape. These are also paraphyletic groups. I guess it all comes down to how much of a cladistics-Nazi you want to be. ;)
What's the issue with the "ape" classification? Unless we are only talking about ape as gibbon, chimp, gorilla and orangutan... but not humans?

Upvote 0

AdamSK

Jun 28, 2016
Ohio
✟16,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just don't understand educated people who scratch their heads and wonder, "What went wrong?"

Nothing went wrong.
Sure it did. The boys were raised to be productive and responsible members of society and instead they shot a bunch of people. Their upbringing did not accomplish the desired result. Something went wrong.

Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Difficult to see why this is so ... difficult. You ask if Jesus is a monkey. I reply that it depends on whether he is alive or dead.

If he is dead, it is not unreasonable to assume that the Resurrection did not happen and he is not divine, that he is a dead human, and in the terms of this thread a dead monkey.

If he is alive, it is not unreasonable to assume that the Resurrection did happen and he is divine, and therefore is not a monkey.

(I am assuming that, like me, you have no truck with divine monkeys. Theology may hold divinity and immortality to be characteristics of a god; science does not, I think, hold them to be characteristics of a monkey.)

Upvote 0

AdamSK

Jun 28, 2016
Ohio
✟16,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In colloquial language, we did evolve from monkeys. In scientific terms, there are no monkeys, either living or dead. To further cloud the issue, scientists often move freely from colloquial to scientific descriptions. However, if we stuck just to the scientific taxons, then not one of them would be called "monkey".

The real confusion springs from the fact that the colloquial terms predate the theory of evolution and do not reflect the tools that scientists currently use, namely cladistics. "Monkey" is a paraphyletic term, which is a big no-no in cladistics. Terms need to be monophyletic which means that the common ancestor and ALL descendants must be described by the same name. If we do stick with monkey, then humans are still monkeys according to cladistics.

Just to be clear, the same problem exists for other very common names such as reptile, mammal, and ape. These are also paraphyletic groups. I guess it all comes down to how much of a cladistics-Nazi you want to be. ;)
Mammal and ape are both Monophyletic clades. "Monkey" just means non-ape simian, and "reptile" just means non-bird sauropsids.

Upvote 0