Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

I feel better today. I went to my grocer friend's home (in the community of Givat Ze'ev, just north of Jerusalem) this morning to pay a shiva call (see http://www.jewfaq.org/death.htm#Mourning). His widow, brothers & sisters and children (the first-degree relatives who are obligated to mourn) were all there, sitting on cushions on the floor, as per custom. I knew only Yehuda (my deceased friend) & his brother Shimon because it was their grocery. Shimon introduced me around & said that I was from an office near the grocery & was a regular customer. I cited our Sages' dictum that every Jew has one precept (mitzva) that is specially "theirs" & that he/she fulfills in a unique way. Our great 1st century [acronym="Before Common Era (BC)"]BCE[/acronym] sage Shammai (http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=549&letter=S&search=Shammai) bids us, "receive all men with a cheerful countenance." This was Yehuda (http://www.israel-mfa.gov.il/mfa/go.asp?MFAH0of10). In the 10.5 years that I have been buying stuff at the grocery, I never saw him without a smile on his face & a kind word for whoever was in the grocery at the moment. Before I left, I greeted everyone with the traditional phrase: "May God comfort/console you among those who mourn for Zion and Jerusalem." The Hebrew is: HaMakom yenakhem etkhem tokh sha'ar avlei tzion v'yerushalayim. I told them something I heard from Rabbi Shlomo Riskin here in Israel. He said that one of his rabbis pointed out that the word for "God" in the greeting is HaMakom, literally "The Place." This is considered a name/euphemism for God because God is, of course, in every place. But Rabbi Riskin said that his rabbi put a different spin on it. This rabbi (who was himself in mourning at the time; Rabbi Riskin was paying a shiva call when he first heard this) motioned around him and told Rabbi Riskin that it is the place, the Land of Israel, it was seeing the Jewish People flourishing again in our country, in the being-rebuilt-before-our-eyes Land of Israel, that was comforting/consoling him. In Amos 9:14-15, we read:

And I will return the captivity of My people Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them, says the Lord your God.

Yehuda's parents & some of his older siblings came from Iran & lived the above verses from Amos. Shouldn't those who mourn for him be comforted thereby?

Be well!

ssv :wave:

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AHHHHHH

hammock.jpg

Reactions: mle
Upvote 0

Grammalamma

Grammalamma
Dec 30, 2003
Michigan
✟17,226.00
Faith
Christian
Hi all,

I'm just dropping in to say "Hello". I hope everyone is doing well.
My day has been fine, not great, just fine. I have lots to do and not enough energy to do it. I seem to have that problem most of the time anymore. I don't mean to be a downer. I am blessed in many ways.

I guess I don't have much to say so I will be back when I do.

Kathie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TherapyDogLove

Christian Dog Lover
Feb 23, 2004
Maryland
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Hello fellow brothers and sisters in Christ! My name is Janet. I love in addition to serving the Lord, Dogs, Travel, Music and Movies. I use my dog to serve the Lord by taking him to an assisted living facility and mental hospital to bring people hope and cheer. I love sharing the unconditional love of God through my dog Coal. Music I like includes Christian Worship, Celtic, 80s Modern Rock, World and Reggae. I enjoy traveling especially to Florida. I am going to Disney World in late march and I can hardly wait! I enjoy movies of all types especially family and comedies. I am so much looking forward to seeing The Passion of the Christ on Friday March 5th. I can hardly wait! I hope to make some Christian friends in here. Ta Ta for now.

Your sister in Christ

Janet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

It's an unseasonably warm Sunday afternoon here in Jerusalem.

Welcome to all the newbies!

TherapyDogLove, that is a wonderful story about your dog. We must never call them "dumb animals". Animals serve God, by their very natures, they were created to do so. We, it is the struggle of our lives to learn to serve Him as devotedly as they do.

Yesterday, we (Jews all over the world) read Exodus 25:1-27:25 in synagogue. It is, of course, the account of God's instructions to Moses on how to build the Tabernacle and the various items that are to be put therein. Last thursday evening, we went to a big family wedding (see http://www.ohr.org.il/yhiy/article.php/1087 for a good read on the Jewish wedding ceremony). The rabbi who officiated (whom Wendy & I know very well & esteem very highly) spoke and commented on yesterday's Torah reading. He said that it shows what a model (Jewish) home should be. Inside the walls (that's the Tabernacle itself), one finds furniture & food (the Table for the Showbread & the Showbread itself), light (the Menorah/candelstick) and God (the Ark of the Covenant), the essentials of a successful home. He also commented on the wording of 25:8.

And let them [the children of Israel] make Me a sanctuary that I may dwell among them

In addition to noting that this verse constitutes the positive precept of building the Tabernacle/Temple, the rabbi cited our Sages' well-known homiletical interpretation of this verse. Our Sages note that the verse does not say:

And let them [the children of Israel] make Me a sanctuary that I may dwell within it
, thus referring to the Tabernacle/Temple, but rather says:

And let them [the children of Israel] make Me a sanctuary that I may dwell among them

referring to each individual (Jew). Each of us must make room for God in the private sanctuary/Tabernacle/Temple that we must construct in our own hearts. Thus the phyical sanctuary/Tabernacle/Temple resembles the inner, personal sanctuary/Tabernacle/Temple. The rabbi's blessing to the young couple was that with God's help, they would build a home together in which there was ample place for God, just as surely as they would make room for Him in their hearts.

Be well!

ssv :wave:

Upvote 0

FervidPrincess

Eternally Bonded
Oct 16, 2003
Midwest
✟8,030.00
Faith
Protestant
stillsmallvoice,

I believe animals are very devoted to God as well. I believe we should never, ever look at ourselves as better than them.

I read your lonk about the Jewish Wedding Ceremony...

It was quoted "one soul in two bodies." ...I could not agree with that more. :clap:

May the life of the new married couple be full of God's beautiful blessings.

It is warm here too...I love it. ...Spring is almost here.

Have a great day ssv...enjoy that warm weather to the fullest.

Upvote 0

Grammalamma

Grammalamma
Dec 30, 2003
Michigan
✟17,226.00
Faith
Christian
Good afternoon,

We had a great service at church today. Two sisters were baptised and many people went forward to rededicate their lives to Jesus. You could really feel God's presence.

It's 56 degrees in my part of Michigan. That's pretty good compared to what it was just a few weeks ago.

Have a good day in the Lord,

Kathie :pink:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.