✟1,358,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James 3:13-18 ESV

“Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.”

You are probably wondering at this point what this passage has to do with joking and teasing. Well, let me share with you my situation. For, you see, my family members love to joke and to tease with one another, and so when I am with them, and this is going on, I sometimes get caught up in that. That isn’t all bad, though, because it is done lovingly and affectionately, and it is a way of showing affection to one another, so I am not all down on it.

And I am not speaking here of crude joking, but just normal family type humor that is usually understood as such within a particular family which understands the same kind of humor and accepts it for what it is. But the danger with joking and teasing is that it can be taken the wrong way, and we can give off the wrong impression, and even if done lovingly and kindly, it can hurt some people’s feelings.

So, after a time with some family members today, where we were having fun with one another, and I started to reflect on the things spoken, I began to wonder if maybe I should not have said some things that I said, not that they were bad things, but perhaps they were not wise things, and in being honest about it, I don’t think Jesus would have said the same things, for I don’t believe he was quite as human and some people make him out to be.

And then I read this passage of Scripture, and so I began praying and asking the Lord, “Did I do that?” “Was that my attitude?” “Was my heart not in the right place?” “Was that unwise?” “Was that prideful?” “Did I give off a wrong impression?” “Was I doing the opposite of meekness?” “Was I being false to the truth?” For some joking and teasing is saying the opposite of what is true, but with the understanding that the listeners know that.

I don’t want to ever be false to the truth. I don’t want to be prideful, in truth. I don’t want to speak words which are unwise. And I don’t want to willfully say what I know is going to hurt other people unless it is in teaching the truth of the gospel which I know is for people’s good, and it is what they need to hear. But I want to be someone who represents Christ well, and who says what I mean and who means what I say, so my words can be trusted.

But I also want to be able to enjoy my family and to be able to laugh with them in things that are not against the Lord, but never to the exclusion of obeying my Lord, and never in place of living my life to please my Lord. My Lord must always come first, and obedience to him and to his word must always take first place. And I want to be a godly woman who is wise in the ways of the Lord, and who represents Jesus well.

So, I am praying through this passage of Scripture, and I am asking for the counsel and wisdom of God in how to enjoy my family in a way that is never dishonoring to the Lord. And I am asking the Lord to show me what is in my heart and if there is anything there that needs to change. For I take my walk of faith in the Lord seriously. And so this song fits perfectly with my prayer, too, that the Lord would mold me and make me after His will. Amen!

Video Talk
Caution: This link may contain ads

Have Thine Own Way, Lord

Words by Adelaide A. Pollard, 1907
Music by George C. Stebbins, 1907

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

Wounded and weary, help me I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine!

Hold o'er my being absolute sway.
Fill with Thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me!

Caution: This link may contain ads