Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton criticized President Joe Biden's approach to Russia, telling Newsmax on Friday that Biden's tough rhetoric lacks meaningful action.

"Well, you know, Biden, like a lot of world leaders, is great at expressing outrage. But when it comes to doing something, it's usually deficient," Bolton said on "Eric Bolling The Balance."

"You know, we were supposed to have put the Russian economy in a tailspin after they invaded Ukraine. The sanctions have failed. And you know, if we wanted to do something really to put pressure on Russia because of Navalny's death, making those sanctions work would be a good start," he added.

Bolton continued: "I mean, I won't get into the technical details; but Russia's economy certainly has been hurt somewhat, but it's functioning. And it is still carrying on the war in Ukraine. So you know this is why [Russian President Vladimir] Putin hears this kind of tough rhetoric all the time. And then he doesn't see results, and he thinks he can get away with whatever his next act is."

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,098.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Neocons like John Bolton annoy more more than the Neo Liberals like Biden. What more was Biden supposed to do? Declare war on Russia directly? More sanctions that won't work but will likely hurt the US and the West more than they will Russia? We've heard the Neocon plan and it's failed and quite frankly I'm glad it has. The Neocons are a destructive force who in the effort the preserve the American Empire will end up destroying it.

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of aspects to this whole thing ...

The very fact that Russia invaded Ukraine was a massive diplomatic failure. Not simply between the US and Russia, but EU leaders as well. I think this could have been avoided, but incompetent people are running our country, Germany, and the UK. Meanwhile, a gangster runs Russia

That being said ...

I will give some credit where credit is due: Biden did not listen to people like Bolton and start WWIII. He responded with harsh sanctions, booted Russia out of SWIFT, and sent arms and money to Ukraine. He couldn't have done much more than that in the first 6 months of the war. He emphasized that there would be no American boots on the ground, and I think he handled that correctly. But it was a little bit like closing the barn door after the horse has run off

Sanctions largely failed because India and China are buying massive quantities of Russian oil. Those countries, in addition to Iran and North Korea, are happy to supply Russia with goods, materials, and even arms.

We could begin to confiscate Russian property worldwide, BUT, that should be held back as a threat / bargaining chip to be used in a peace agreement

I have said this many times to my conservative friends, and I know they don't want to hear it, but it is true: there is absolutely no "path to victory" for Ukraine. There never was. The idea that Zelensky was going to drive Russian forces out of the country, re-take Crimea, and even march on Moscow, was a fantasy promoted by the MSM.

Did Russia lose a large number of men and equipment? Absolutely --just like they did in 1941. Their industrial capacity, fossil-fuel revenues, population, and reckless determination, will overwhelm Ukraine. Russia isn't even in a full war-economy right now.

Putin's goals are as follows:

1. Keep Ukraine in a state of conflict, which prevents it from joining NATO or the EU. He will dig in and drag out the conflict for years if necessary.
2. Obtain more arms and resources from his allies and India. Build the war-chest back up.
3. Wait for popular dissent in the EU to get to a boiling point. Germany is in recession, the UK economy is a mess, and people are angry. Inflation is a huge problem.

If Putin suffers a set-back, he can do a general mobilization and dump 2 million men into Ukraine within 2 months. He can go to a full war-economy. The costs will be huge, but Ukraine will be overwhelmed, Khiv will be taken, and Zelensky will probably be dead, or in exile.

Some kind of peace agreement has to be reached, and Ukraine is going to have to give up territory (likely). There is a way to give up territory, and yet win major concessions. It could look like this:

Ukraine gives Russia the following:

1. The territories in the east that have been seized
2. A peace agreement that guarantees Ukraine will not seek NATO membership

Russia gives Ukraine the following:

1. Monetary reparations
2. Uncontested EU membership
3. Profit-sharing agreements regarding oil pipelines, gas, and minerals.
4. A formal peace agreement with new borders
5. Complete withdrawal of Russian troops from the eastern territories, and UN troops can come in to keep peace between ethnic Russians and Ukrainians

If a peace agreement is not reached, hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians and Russians will die, including civilians. The Neocons are cynically dragging this out in an effort to punish Russia, but Ukraine is suffering.

Life is many times not about making a good decision vs. a bad. It is making a choice between two bad choices.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0