Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

John 6 many of Christ's disciples took his symbolism too literally and then they left Him...

66 As a result of this many of His disciples left, and would no longer walk with Him

========= They were taking Him too literally

41 So then the Jews were complaining about Him because He said, “I am the bread that came down out of heaven.” 42 And they were saying, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does He now say, ‘I have come down out of heaven’?”... 51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats from this bread, he will live forever; and the bread which I will give for the life of the world also is My flesh.”

literally living bread falling down literally out of heaven... or possible the John 1 "Word" where the lesson of Manna is brought into John 6's discussion about manna -- "man does not live by bread alone but by every WORD the comes from the mouth of God" Deut 8:3

52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?”...58 This is the bread that came down out of heaven, not as the fathers ate and died; the one who eats this bread will live forever.”

Jesus says He is already bread - that already came down out of heaven and already is supposed to be eaten... not "some day in the future I will turn into bread and in the future you must eat my flesh".

66 As a result of this many of His disciples left, and would no longer walk with Him.

---- the real lesson of John 6

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh provides no benefit; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit, and are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray Him. 65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have told you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”
66 As a result of this many of His disciples left, and would no longer walk with Him. 67 So Jesus said to the twelve, “You do not want to leave also, do you?” 68 Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.

=============================

YET ANOTHER example where His followers were taking the symbol of BREAD too literally.

Matt 16:5 And the disciples came to the other side of the sea, but they had forgotten to bring any bread. 6 And Jesus said to them, “Watch out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 7 They began to discuss this among themselves, saying, “He said that because we did not bring any bread.” 8 But Jesus, aware of this, said, “You men of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread? 9 Do you not yet understand nor remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets you picked up? 10 Nor the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many large baskets you picked up? 11 How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you about bread? But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that He did not say to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

In both Matt 16 and John 6 - bread is used as a symbol for teaching

John 6

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Taking Christ too literally in Matt 16 made the disciples think Christ was warning against buying bread from Pharisees.

Taking Christ too literally in John 6 made the disciples think Christ was claiming to be bread that had fallen out of heaven.
It made them think his topic was cannibalism, so many left Him.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
John 6 many of Christ's disciples took his symbolism too literally and then they left Him...

66 As a result of this many of His disciples left, and would no longer walk with Him

========= They were taking Him too literally

41 So then the Jews were complaining about Him because He said, “I am the bread that came down out of heaven.” 42 And they were saying, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does He now say, ‘I have come down out of heaven’?”... 51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats from this bread, he will live forever; and the bread which I will give for the life of the world also is My flesh.”

literally living bread falling down literally out of heaven... or possible the John 1 "Word" where the lesson of Manna is brought into John 6's discussion about manna -- "man does not live by bread alone but by every WORD the comes from the mouth of God" Deut 8:3

52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?”...58 This is the bread that came down out of heaven, not as the fathers ate and died; the one who eats this bread will live forever.”

Jesus says He is already bread - that already came down out of heaven and already is supposed to be eaten... not "some day in the future I will turn into bread and in the future you must eat my flesh".

66 As a result of this many of His disciples left, and would no longer walk with Him.

---- the real lesson of John 6

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh provides no benefit; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit, and are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray Him. 65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have told you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”
66 As a result of this many of His disciples left, and would no longer walk with Him. 67 So Jesus said to the twelve, “You do not want to leave also, do you?” 68 Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.

=============================

YET ANOTHER example where His followers were taking the symbol of BREAD too literally.

Matt 16:5 And the disciples came to the other side of the sea, but they had forgotten to bring any bread. 6 And Jesus said to them, “Watch out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 7 They began to discuss this among themselves, saying, “He said that because we did not bring any bread.” 8 But Jesus, aware of this, said, “You men of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread? 9 Do you not yet understand nor remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets you picked up? 10 Nor the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many large baskets you picked up? 11 How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you about bread? But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that He did not say to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

In both Matt 16 and John 6 - bread is used as a symbol for teaching

John 6

There is nothing in that to make one believe that bread is a symbol of teaching. Jesus was referring to the Eucharist, which upon its blessing, becomes the flesh and blood of Christ. That has always been the belief of Christianity and is the belief taught by all of the Apostolic Churches. John 6 goes into the furthest detail, it is reiterated by Paul to the Corinthians at 1 Cor 10:16-21 and again at 1 Cor 11:23-29.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

The this in verse 666 is what was said in verse 65.

Really nothing to do with the bread discourse at all.

That would be the erroneous understanding of John 6, asserted the Roman Catholic denomination.

Joh 6:65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0