Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
John 3:16, i finally realized, should never be "skimmed" over, but read S-L-O-W-L-Y and meditated on and always under the direction of the Holy Spirit because it is true that we will be shown things we've never ever noticed before...new discoveries in this verse (and others) that we could recite in our sleep, but haven't fully meditated on......

There's VOLUMES of wisdom in this verse.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John 3:16, i finally realized, should never be "skimmed" over, but read S-L-O-W-L-Y and meditated on and always under the direction of the Holy Spirit because it is true that we will be shown things we've never ever noticed before...new discoveries in this verse (and others) that we could recite in our sleep, but haven't fully meditated on......

There's VOLUMES of wisdom in this verse.

It's about many topics and about how they all fit together:

1) God

2) love

3) people's need of a Savior

4) faith in Him as the key

5) everlasting life for those who believe in Him.

It's such a finely balanced and profound verse!

Blessings.

• Winner
Reactions: EllyGrace7
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
John 3:16 is generally not translated well. In saying "God so loved the world" people get the impression that this speaks of the magnitude of God's love. In fact a paraphrase version explicitly states "God loved the world so much". But in fact that is not the precise meaning the author intended in that passage. The Greek word for "so" is houtos which, as you can see with any greek lexicon, is not speaking of the magnitude of God's love, but the manner of it. It means "in this manner" or "thusly". It's much as Paul saying in Rom 5:8 "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

John 3:16 describes the manner in which God loves us. People ask "how does God love us?" They have certain expectations as to how love should be expressed. The manner of God's love often doesn't fit such expectations, but it's the way God does it. The way God love us and the way Christians love others often goes unappreciated, and is even responded to with hostility by the world. That's what Jesus says we should expect.

Upvote 0

LadyJaden

Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth
Jul 25, 2014
Tennessee
✟15,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a supporter of Paul's ministry and believe the heart of the Gospel comes from Him (through God). After Jesus died, grace came into play. He took all the sins from us and paid our price for them. And that gift is our for the taking. Before that, the First Covenant was what was used, the Law. But at the last supper, Jesus told them of the new covenant. I believe that the new covenant (accepting Christ through faith, not works) started after Jesus rose from the dead. Christ fulfilled the Law We are saved by faith in Christ as our Savior, not by our works. BUT, being a Christian, I want to do works. I know nothing I can do can save me. Only Christ can.

And by the way, I love John 3:16!!!!!!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John 3:16 is generally not translated well. In saying "God so loved the world" people get the impression that this speaks of the magnitude of God's love. In fact a paraphrase version explicitly states "God loved the world so much". But in fact that is not the precise meaning the author intended in that passage. The Greek word for "so" is houtos which, as you can see with any greek lexicon, is not speaking of the magnitude of God's love, but the manner of it. It means "in this manner" or "thusly". It's much as Paul saying in Rom 5:8 "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

John 3:16 describes the manner in which God loves us. People ask "how does God love us?" They have certain expectations as to how love should be expressed. The manner of God's love often doesn't fit such expectations, but it's the way God does it. The way God love us and the way Christians love others often goes unappreciated, and is even responded to with hostility by the world. That's what Jesus says we should expect.

BB Warfield said that the measure of God's love ('so loved') is seen in the greatness of the One given.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of the 4 gospels I enjoy John the most. Luke used to be my favorite, but after sitting down and re-reading them again.. John wins. John 3:16 is the only verse that I can speak from the heart and know exactly where it is. I can quote other parts of scripture, but not with the same accuracy and the knowledge of where it is like John 3:16.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of the 4 gospels I enjoy John the most. Luke used to be my favorite, but after sitting down and re-reading them again.. John wins. John 3:16 is the only verse that I can speak from the heart and know exactly where it is. I can quote other parts of scripture, but not with the same accuracy and the knowledge of where it is like John 3:16.

John 3.16 seems like the Gospel in summary, right? :)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Indeed, it is. It summarizes the entire purpose of the Bible, and God's plan since the fall of man, in Genesis, when God says that the serpent's head will be crushed:

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." ~Genesis 3:15

and that brings us to God's Remedy, and WHY God provided a Remedy to the utter deadly mess man had gotten himself into:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." ~John 3:16

• Agree
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, it is. It summarizes the entire purpose of the Bible, and God's plan since the fall of man, in Genesis, when God says that the serpent's head will be crushed:

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." ~Genesis 3:15

and that brings us to God's Remedy, and WHY God provided a Remedy to the utter deadly mess man had gotten himself into:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." ~John 3:16

The verse, in a few words, seems to contain so many of the essential elements of the Gospel!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DanJudge

Jun 17, 2006
✟9,491.00
Faith
Christian
For me, John 3.16 contains the heart of the Gospel. So many essential elements are there, and it affirms the great love of the Savior and the living hope of those who trust in Him!

Faroukfarouk/Brothers/Sisters, Please listen to the still small voice. You must STUDY.

WHAT WORLD DID HE, (JESUS CHRIST) LOVE ?

When JESUS, (who is GOD), when HE quoted John 3:16, The World that HE loved is found in Genesis 1:31,

What happen, Genesis 2:17, So GOD in the form of man came into this world, which is OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, to restore the World that HE LOVES, of Genesis 1:31.

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Genesis 3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world (Genesis 1:31), that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Peace Be With You All
DanJudge

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It starts with God, and not us! The wondrous Divine initiative of love in sending His beloved Son to be the Savior! :)

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is my thoughts exactly. The book of John as a whole really speaks to me and is one of my favorites. But like ChristsSoldier said, I can quote other parts of scripture but not with the same accuracy as this one. :)

Great thread! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is my thoughts exactly. The book of John as a whole really speaks to me and is one of my favorites. But like ChristsSoldier said, I can quote other parts of scripture but not with the same accuracy as this one. :)

Great thread! :thumbsup:

JennieAmber: There is something very special with the language of John (seen also in his three Epistles and Revelation).

John 3.16 seems to contain so much wondrous truth in so few words! :)

Blessings.

Upvote 0

DanJudge

Jun 17, 2006
✟9,491.00
Faith
Christian
JennieAmber: There is something very special with the language of John (seen also in his three Epistles and Revelation).

John 3.16 seems to contain so much wondrous truth in so few words! :)

Blessings.

Faroukfarouk/Brothers/Sisters, Do you people study the Bible?

I would like to know if You have ever made a study on the word WORLD.

WHAT WORLD DID HE, (JESUS CHRIST) LOVE ?

When JESUS, (who is GOD), when HE quoted John 3:16, The World that HE loved is found in Genesis 1:31,

What happen, Genesis 2:17, So GOD in the form of man came into this world, which is OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, to restore the World that HE LOVES, of Genesis 1:31.

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Genesis 3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world (Genesis 1:31), that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Peace Be With You All
DanJudge

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
For me, John 3.16 contains the heart of the Gospel. So many essential elements are there, and it affirms the great love of the Savior and the living hope of those who trust in Him!

all scripture is valueable

however talking about God love will not save you unless how God loved the world is included

1 cor 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

no one can work there way to heaven ...

John 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

only reason a person goes to hell ....

why since so simple of a message do so many people go to hell ? Matt 7:13-14, rev 20:11-15

1 cor 1: 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God

1 cor 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Upvote 0
R

Receiver

Sadly, many who hold up this verse don't tell people what Jesus has just said ... concerning what it means to "believe in him" and how this life manifests ... because they themselves don't understand.

Without this, John 3:16 is a description, a postcard, a bunch of flowers, not the prescription you need to take.

As such it is an "ism", John 3:16-ism.

Jesus also says those that "believe in Him" will receive His Spirit and have signs following (John 7:37-39, Mark 16:15-20) ... his disciples and those who believed them all did!

John 3:8 "The wind blows (the Spirit breathes) where it wills, and you hear the sound thereof, but cannot tell whence it comes, and whither it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit"

Compare that with Acts 2:4, 33; 10:44-46 to understand the gospel that saves.
If you don't get that right you cannot understand or enter into the heavenly things (v3, 5, 12).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus also says those that "believe in Him" will receive His Spirit and have signs following (John 7:37-39, Mark 16:15-20) ... his disciples and those who believed them all did!

This is the only sign i'm concerned with showing.

John 13:35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Many will say to Him.

Mathew 7:22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

1 Co 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best[d] gifts.

And yet I show you a more excellent way.

13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love

Upvote 0