Aug 3, 2006
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
✟8,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not read this whole tread but are people really comparing Olsteen to Satan? He is motivational preacher. He focuses on empowering people to be all they can be using God as your support system. God blesses many people with many different styles of reaching the people.

The most famous preacher of all, Jesus Christ did not focus on fire and brim stone. Jesus focused on healing the soul, he focused on love. You people judging Olsteen, and deeming him the Devil should beware, you will be Judged with the same harshness.

I for one do not listen to him, only a few times.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I did not read this whole tread but are people really comparing Olsteen to Satan?
Him to Satan? No. His lack of preaching the whole gospel and often distorting what he does quote? Yes.

He is motivational preacher. He focuses on empowering people to be all they can be using God as your support system. God blesses many people with many different styles of reaching the people.

The most famous preacher of all, Jesus Christ did not focus on fire and brim stone. Jesus focused on healing the soul, he focused on love. You people judging Olsteen, and deeming him the Devil should beware, you will be Judged with the same harshness.

I for one do not listen to him, only a few times
A preacher/Shepherd isn't a motivational speaker, but one who feeds his flock on solid food and prepares & equips his flock for spiritual warfare (as soldiers) etc.
If his church is boot camp, and he's leading his camp into battle, I highly suggest he take them into the janitor's closet or kitchen to cook for those properly prepared for warfare.

If people want motivation, there's plenty of motivational special speakers in the body of Christ - a Pastor is a different office.

Reactions: PeacaHeaven
Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Him to Satan? No. His lack of preaching the whole gospel and often distorting what he does quote? Yes.

A preacher/Shepherd isn't a motivational speaker, but one who feeds his flock on solid food and prepares & equips his flock for spiritual warfare (as soldiers) etc.
If his church is boot camp, and he's leading his camp into battle, I highly suggest he take them into the janitor's closet or kitchen to cook for those properly prepared for warfare.

If people want motivation, there's plenty of motivational special speakers in the body of Christ - a Pastor is a different office.
Well, there are a lot of different ways to view what God's people are called to do in the coming of the Kingdom. Soldiers, I suppose, but also as those who feed the weak and meekly accept the hatred that the world has for the spirit of gentleness that comes from God.

I don't like Joel Osteen's preaching, I think he does not challenge his followers to grow in their faith. I do, however, know that a preacher can only do so many things, their gifts will be limited as all people are limited.

So, if people come to Jesus by Osteen, God bless him. No one man can preach the full gospel, that's why we have 4.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not read this whole tread but are people really comparing Olsteen to Satan? He is motivational preacher. He focuses on empowering people to be all they can be using God as your support system. God blesses many people with many different styles of reaching the people.

I for one do not listen to him, only a few times.

False teachers are what they are because of Satan. Esp when it comes to error concerning Christ.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, there are a lot of different ways to view what God's people are called to do in the coming of the Kingdom. Soldiers, I suppose, but also as those who feed the weak and meekly accept the hatred that the world has for the spirit of gentleness that comes from God.

I don't like Joel Osteen's preaching, I think he does not challenge his followers to grow in their faith. I do, however, know that a preacher can only do so many things, their gifts will be limited as all people are limited.

So, if people come to Jesus by Osteen, God bless him. No one man can preach the full gospel, that's why we have 4.

No one man can preach the full gospel, that's why we have 4

1 Cor 15:3 is pretty easy . . . anyone can preach the full Gospel dude. everyone of the 4 Gospels lands here . . . it is in the substitutionary death and atonement of Christ, followed by His resurrection, that the four accounts converge. If Joel cannot preach this . . . then he is NO preacher of the Gospel. Period. We have four because four men were moved to do so . . . not because we needed four to tell us, as if we wouldn't get it from one.:)

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally, for what Joel Osteen preaches, I think he should reconsider when he calls himself a pastor. I think the term "minister" would be more appropriate for him. He is a blessing to the body of Christ. He changes people's lives everyday. So, you got to appreciate him for that. However, the message of hope he preaches every Sunday is not enough for the body of Christ live off of. I'm quite sure a lot of you listen to other pastors besides him which is good because he's only a supplement. However, listening to Osteen only is not going to help you much in your walk with God. He has a great message of hope. But there is no chance in hope without discipline.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Personally, for what Joel Osteen preaches, I think he should reconsider when he calls himself a pastor. I think the term "minister" would be more appropriate for him. He is a blessing to the body of Christ. He changes people's lives everyday. So, you got to appreciate him for that. However, the message of hope he preaches every Sunday is not enough for the body of Christ live off of. I'm quite sure a lot of you listen to other pastors besides him which is good because he's only a supplement. However, listening to Osteen only is not going to help you much in your walk with God. He has a great message of hope. But there is no chance in hope without discipline.

Sadly...I consider for many...JO is the only "church" they attend and I consider it's HUGE because so many prefer "encouragement" over truth.:sigh:

That whole deny yourself thingy prolly isn't as attractive...

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sadly...I consider for many...JO is the only "church" they attend and I consider it's HUGE because so many prefer "encouragement" over truth.:sigh:

That whole deny yourself thingy prolly isn't as attractive...
:thumbsup:
That's the important point in this, that IS what they choose to hear and be fed on.
Motivation isn't preparing us for the Christian life - it's teaching you be dependant on the pep rally that needs to continue.
You aren't learning the deeper meat of the word where God's principles for life are found thru alot of OT stories in how to gain victory.
Victory is NOT just standing there talking myself into believing "I have faith, I WILL get thru this"... It's knowing how to use God's weapons of warfare & principles.

I think it creates spiritual infants & keeps them that way; depending on their next pep rally in just 'hanging in there' to wait on God to provide.
For instance, there are stipulations to meet in prayer to God, but you won't learn those from Osteen.
SO you have people living in chronic unrepented sin & then expecting God to bless their situation & fix it all....
We NEED to know God's principles - but since Osteen finds alot of the scripture "anathema" to preach to a crowd, he won't tell you God's principles when they involve sin or anything you're doing wrong.

It's really sad and irresponsible on his part. How do you equip people for battle with motivation?

Upvote 0

ahiggs

Aug 4, 2008
Carthage Missouri
✟8,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

one can only come to Jesus through the gospel and he NEVER presents any kind of gospel message. it is all what can God do for me, how can one be saved with out repentance? cause he dosn't preach that either

Reactions: Nadiine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
:thumbsup:
That's the important point in this, that IS what they choose to hear and be fed on.
Motivation isn't preparing us for the Christian life - it's teaching you be dependant on the pep rally that needs to continue.
You aren't learning the deeper meat of the word where God's principles for life are found thru alot of OT stories in how to gain victory.
Victory is NOT just standing there talking myself into believing "I have faith, I WILL get thru this"... It's knowing how to use God's weapons of warfare & principles.

I think it creates spiritual infants & keeps them that way; depending on their next pep rally in just 'hanging in there' to wait on God to provide.
For instance, there are stipulations to meet in prayer to God, but you won't learn those from Osteen.
SO you have people living in chronic unrepented sin & then expecting God to bless their situation & fix it all....
We NEED to know God's principles - but since Osteen finds alot of the scripture "anathema" to preach to a crowd, he won't tell you God's principles when they involve sin or anything you're doing wrong.

It's really sad and irresponsible on his part. How do you equip people for battle with motivation?

I agree...

I did a small study this morning and with a word search &#8220;encourage&#8221; (NKJV)

Interestingly to me&#8230;the word is not used a whole big bunch throughout Scripture.

encourage &#8211; 7 verses

encouraged &#8211; 16 verses

encourages &#8211; 0 verses

encourager &#8211; 0 verses

encouraging &#8211; 0 verses

Almost all of the verses which used encourage are regarding encouragement IN FAITH not in our ability to &#8220;hang in there&#8221;

I personally consider that&#8217;s because God knows what tribulation we have in this world and the enemy's plan to devour and destroy as we walk through this world and we are to encourage one another in FAITH in Christ Jesus and to walk according to His word.

1Th 3:2 and sent Timothy, our brother and minister of God, and our fellow laborer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you and encourage you concerning your faith,
1Th 3:3 that no one should be shaken by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we are appointed to this.

IMHO Paul is explaining to the Colossians the importance of attaining the FULL assurance of understanding&#8230;.not simply the understandings that we tend to cling to&#8230;those that are pleasing to our ears.

Col 2:1 For I want you to know what a great conflict I have for you and those in Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh,
Col 2:2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ,

This is wonderful! Teaching us that no matter how discouraged we may get that we &#8220;continue&#8221; WITH the Lord.

Act 11:19 Now those who were scattered after the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to no one but the Jews only.
Act 11:20 But some of them were men from Cyprus and Cyrene, who, when they had come to Antioch, spoke to the Hellenists, preaching the Lord Jesus.
Act 11:21 And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number believed and turned to the Lord.
Act 11:22 Then news of these things came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent out Barnabas to go as far as Antioch.
Act 11:23 When he came and had seen the grace of God, he was glad, and encouraged them all that with purpose of heart they should continue with the Lord.

And that is one of my big concerns with encouragers such as JO&#8230;what will happen to those who simply cannot &#8220;hang in there&#8221; when persecution, trials and tribulations and spiritual attack are too much to bear without the full measure of God&#8217;s word to uphold them and strengthen them. When the god that JO presents&#8230;doesn&#8217;t move in the way that JO teaches according to his personal vision of God.

Paul not only wanted to teach the churches and fellowships he planted&#8230;but he also wanted to see them &#8220;established&#8221; supernaturally in faith.

Rom 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established--
Rom 1:12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

I wonder&#8230;how many of us today could Paul say this about with confidence:

Php 2:19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state.
Php 2:20 For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state.
Php 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.
Php 2:22 But you know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel.

How many of us would Paul be encouraged about concerning our &#8220;state&#8221;

How many pastors sincerely care about the &#8220;state&#8221; of their flock? Apparently the pickin&#8217;s were slim even back then. Timothy (and a few others) seemed to be the exception&#8230;not the rule.

LOL&#8230;I guess my study wasn&#8217;t all that &#8220;small&#8221; after all&#8230;

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ahiggs

Aug 4, 2008
Carthage Missouri
✟8,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You said a positive message would get no one saved.
to clarify what JO preaches is what can God do for me...true the Gospel is a positive message, but far different than "Your best life now' or "Become a better you". no one will get saved without repentance and faith. there is no Gospel message in anything that he teaches

Upvote 0

Wade Smith

Aug 5, 2008
L.A.
✟1,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
His message is complete PMA sugar-daddy hogwash.

The fact that he can't make up his mind if Jesus is the only way to heaven shows that he has no business being in any pulpit.

to clarify what JO preaches is what can God do for me...true the Gospel is a positive message, but far different than "Your best life now' or "Become a better you". no one will get saved without repentance and faith. there is no Gospel message in anything that he teaches

Agreed.

Upvote 0

Wade Smith

Aug 5, 2008
L.A.
✟1,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You said a positive message would get no one saved.

Correct. A positive message doesn't get anyone saved. Read the synoptic Gospels.

Jesus first recorded words in his ministry is "REPENT! Believe the Gospel!"

The gospel is summed up in John 3:13-21, plus this one statement:

"Deny yourself and take up the Cross daily and follow Jesus."

or

"I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live. Yet not I that liveth, but Christ that liveth in me, and the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me."

Joel Osteen teaches the exact opposite of "Jesus Christ and him Crucified."

Joel Osteen teaches, "You can do it. Believe in yourself."

Jesus taught, "No you can't(Jn. 15:5) Deny Yourself and take up the Cross and follow me."

Joel Osteen teaches, "Only God can judge the heart...I don't know if Christ is the only way."

Jesus taught, "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life...I am THE door...all who ever came before me are thieves and robbers..."

Joel Osteen rarely uses scripture.

Jesus, who was and is God, quoted from scripture all the time. A common response he had when someone asked him a question was, "What does the Scripture say?" And the bereans in the Book of Acts "searched the scriptures whether it was so..."

Reactions: Jerrell
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.