Jesus teaches us how to keep the Sabbath holy...

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your verse citation points out my point on your hymnal contents very well.

What do I care about a silly hymnal? I didn't write it and I don't use it so I coudn't tell you what's in it or why they wrote what's in it. But God did write something. God wrote, "Don't forget to keep the Sabbath Holy" and you people are worried about hymnals, the counting order of the ten commandments and whether or not I answer questions given by people who won't receive the answer.

Let's stick to what the Word of God says.

Romans 2:13 The people who only listen to law are not right with God, but the people who obey law are the ones who are made right with God.

James 1:22-25 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who observes his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But he who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer that forgets but a doer that acts, he shall be blessed in his doing.

Now my question to you, did Jesus teach us how to keep the Sabbath holy or not?

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do I care about a silly hymnal? I didn't write it and I don't use it so I coudn't tell you what's in it or why they wrote what's in it. But God did write something. God wrote, "Don't forget to keep the Sabbath Holy" and you people are worried about hymnals, the counting order of the ten commandments and whether or not I answer questions given by people who won't receive the answer.

Romans 2:13 The people who only listen to law are not right with God, but the people who obey law are the ones who are made right with God.

James 1:22-25 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who observes his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But he who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer that forgets but a doer that acts, he shall be blessed in his doing.

My friend, you need to be free of your bondage to Mosaic Law. Christians DO the law, but not because we follow statutes.

Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

But this willfull obediance to God's standards comes as a natural fruit of TRUE faith and not by any purposeful adherence to any specific written statutes, code or LAW.

In this way, we are saved by Grace through the faith (a gift of God) and not by the works which we produce.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

God saves us completely apart from our works. It was His plan from the foundatons of the world.

2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Balance is crucial.

If your asking do we need to obey Mosaic law, the answer is no.

If your asking do true Christians do the things contained within the law by nature, the answer is yes.

Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10:4 "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth."

just saying............. :prayer::amen:

This is where the freedom comes when we understand that we don't keep the Law to become righteous before God, we keep the Law because we love God.

If you love God you won't worship other God's because this is the heart of God. We won't use His name in vain, we will keep the Sabbath holy, we won't lie, steal and so on. And if we do, God tells us to 1 John 1:9 because we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ. All this does not been we can worship other Gods, use God's name in vain, forget the Sabbath, lie, steal and so on. It does mean we will obey these things because we love God, which is the fruit and testimony of salvation.

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is where the freedom comes when we understand that we don't keep the Law to become righteous before God, we keep the Law because we love God.

If you love God you won't worship other God's because this is the heart of God. We won't use His name in vain, we will keep the Sabbath holy, we won't lie, steal and so on. And if we do, God tells us to 1 John 1:9 because we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ. All this does not been we can worship other Gods, use God's name in vain, forget the Sabbath, lie, steal and so on. It does mean we will obey these things because we love God, which is the fruit and testimony of salvation.

Gentiles were never given the law. So how can you expect them to keep its ceremonial ordinances. They keep the moral law by nature, as a fruit of faith. Everything hangs on love, this is the Gospel.

You are trying to put a yoke on the brethren which not even the Hebrew fathers could bear. Why tempt ye?

The sabbath for us is kept EVERY DAY. It is our eternal rest in Christ.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

You still didn't answer the question, are they or are the not in your hymnal. Refusal to answer is not discussion. Yep I know that you obviously don't want to discuss this. Why?
Now there's a good idea. Why don't you think my question is about what the Bible says? I Tim 4:1-5.
What about Jesus telling them that their righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and pharisees? Where did they get their righteousness from? I think it is the law. The same book 6:23 says it is a gift and can't be gotten any other way. Works bring death.
Yes. Are you a doer or just a part time doer or even a partially part time doer? Have you ever sinned? The Bible says you have so I don't need to accuse you. In order for a law keeper to quailfy for life by the law, they must do as Jesus did and never ever sin. Well it appears I'm to late with that news. The Bible was written before my birth so the choice isn't mine.
The simple answer you can understand is no.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Given what I know by personal experience this is nothing more than a deceiving statements to sucker someone into your belief system. I don't think that is what you believe at all. I have read many testimonies from ex-SDA to believe such a statement. The first thing an ex-SDA is greated with is about the Sabbath - law keeping. They infact teach that one can't be saved unless they keep the Sabbath. IOW be justified by the law.
I see you need to make use of it frequently. BTW you have just made a double minded statement. Worshipping on Sunday is not worshipping other gods as you allude to and your church teaches.

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about Jesus telling them that their righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and pharisees? Where did they get their righteousness from? I think it is the law..

Thanks for that Scratch. I never looked at the verse in that light before.

May God bless you. :groupray:

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

There are many days called, sabbaths, all throughout the OT. The seventh day was blessed and called holy by God at creation, even before sin was in the world. It has nothing to do with sin or the shadows that God gave to help us understand the work of Jesus.

If you notice in Hosea 2:11 the sabbaths are called, her, sabbaths, not God's and they are being taken away as punishment.
I thought that is exactly what you would say to weasel out of the truth. So identify her Sabbaths for us, please. The list in Hosea 2:11 is the exact same list found in Col 2:16 which you quote below. God gave Israel her Sabbaths and holy days and new moons. That make them hers by the way we speak in English. Now which new moon is still not God's? Which day doesn't belong to God, He made all of them.

Hosea 2:11 is very much in sync with Jer 31:31-34 and the whole NT or NC.
When you read in Colossians 2:16 we see a list of special events and rituals.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

All the foods and drink offerings, festivals and sabbaths came after the fall and were instituted as a result of sin and were to be used as shodows. Since Jesus is the fulfillment of the shadows we are not no longer to judge anyone regarding them. The seventh day of creation is not a shadow, it's a creted day that was blessed by God at creation and since we still have seven days in a week the seventh day still bears witness to a creation and creator.
Yes and the 7th day of creation is neverever called the Sabbath. In Gen 2 God blessed the 7th day only. God didn't bless the Sabbath. This shows in both Exodus and Deuteronomy. It seems that you miss a very important word found in Exodus wherefore and Deuteronomy - therefore. And BTW the 7th day creation is not the reason given in Deuteronomy for the establishment of the Sabbath.
Jesus is the end of the Law as it pertains to keeping it in order to be acceptable to God. The Law for those who have been born again is a means to express love towards God and man, it's a relationship. In relationships we don't think of things as violations, but rather, we experience them as being unfaithful, uncaring or unloving. Those who feel as though they are violating the Law might still be under the old way of thinking.

Those who are alive to God through Jesus Christ will have a love within them that is very hard to explain. When we keep the Sabbath we do it because we love God and love fellowshiping with His people on the day He blessed for such an occation. It's not like we can't do things on the Sabbath but the things we do have to be acceptable in light of our relationships.
Well for me you may be very well speaking at least a partial truth for you. First as Dr Strangelove pointed out the Sabbath and the law were never ever given to the goyim gentile. If you read the Scripture you will find it is only given to the Israelite and no one else according to Deuteronomy 5:1-5.
Look at it this way. My son just turned five and his birthday is tonight. We got him his first bike for his birthday, it's going to be a huge surprize for him. I'm a detective who gets call in for a sexual assault in volving a firearm. Do you think I want to miss my son's birtday? Is it a violation when I miss his party or is it more a hurt relationship? I might be at the crime scene but my heart is at the birthday party. My son understands the importance of my job so he doesn't hold it against me. This is what the Sabbath is like when something comes up that we need to take care of. We hate it when it happens and heart would rather be with God's people on the Sabbath but God and His peolple understand things happen.
A very unconvincing argument for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jesus teaches us how to keep the Sabbath holy...

Oh goodie! Another Sabbath thread :thumbsup:...Subscribing

http://www.christianforums.com/t7430788/
This Thread Will End All Debate On The Sabbath Once And For All

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Praise God for the grace found in the new covenant because people were stoned for adultery too under the old covenant. But don't think the grace of God has done away with the sin adultery or has allowed us to forget the Sabbath.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?

Under Moses, where the sab is, they had to be stoned though, u can't just observe the law, the way u want to.

That is wht they tried to get Jesus, under sab laws to kill him.

Why didn't paul want the jewish calendar for the galatians? 4:10.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

it is not a sin, because we are not under mosaic law, where ther is no law, it is not a transgression 5;13 and 4;15 of romans.

paul did not want Moses, judaism for his churches. Was Paul sinning, when he taught that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
it is not a sin, because we are not under mosaic law, where ther is no law, it is not a transgression 5;13 and 4;15 of romans.

paul did not want Moses, judaism for his churches. Was Paul sinning, when he taught that?
:thumbsup:
Thankfully, Moses will not be our accuser :)

John 5:45 "No be ye supposing that I shall be accusing of-ye toward the Father, is the one-accusing of-ye, Moses into whom ye have hoped"
[Reve 12:10]

Reve 12:10 And I hear great voice in the Heaven saying "now became the salvation and the power and the Kingdom of the God of us, and the authority of the Christ of Him,
that was cast the Accuser of the brothers of us, the one-accusing them in sight of the God of us day and night.
[John 5:45]

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you think he was a "poor soul"? Ever consider the idea that he might have been in rebellion against God and that's why he was stonned?

The order did come from God so do you think God, the one who judges the heart, was being harsh?

Ok, he was happy for being stoned, for gathering sticks.:D
Lets not forget, Paul called law life, as bondage, 4 times in Galatians.:)

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
There are many days called, sabbaths, all throughout the OT. The seventh day was blessed and called holy by God at creation, even before sin was in the world. It has nothing to do with sin or the shadows that God gave to help us understand the work of Jesus.

If you notice in Hosea 2:11 the sabbaths are called, her, sabbaths, not God's and they are being taken away as punishment.

When you read in Colossians 2:16 we see a list of special events and rituals.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

All the foods and drink offerings, festivals and sabbaths came after the fall and were instituted as a result of sin and were to be used as shodows. Since Jesus is the fulfillment of the shadows we are not no longer to judge anyone regarding them. The seventh day of creation is not a shadow, it's a creted day that was blessed by God at creation and since we still have seven days in a week the seventh day still bears witness to a creation and creator.

Jesus is the end of the Law as it pertains to keeping it in order to be acceptable to God. The Law for those who have been born again is a means to express love towards God and man, it's a relationship. In relationships we don't think of things as violations, but rather, we experience them as being unfaithful, uncaring or unloving. Those who feel as though they are violating the Law might still be under the old way of thinking.

Those who are alive to God through Jesus Christ will have a love within them that is very hard to explain. When we keep the Sabbath we do it because we love God and love fellowshiping with His people on the day He blessed for such an occation. It's not like we can't do things on the Sabbath but the things we do have to be acceptable in light of our relationships.

Look at it this way. My son just turned five and his birthday is tonight. We got him his first bike for his birthday, it's going to be a huge surprize for him. I'm a detective who gets call in for a sexual assault in volving a firearm. Do you think I want to miss my son's birtday? Is it a violation when I miss his party or is it more a hurt relationship? I might be at the crime scene but my heart is at the birthday party. My son understands the importance of my job so he doesn't hold it against me. This is what the Sabbath is like when something comes up that we need to take care of. We hate it when it happens and heart would rather be with God's people on the Sabbath but God and His peolple understand things happen.

No, col 2 was about not being judged, for NOYT keeping the sabbath.

16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

Are we to worship angels, it says let no one judge you for not doing that, so why would it be a different intention, for not keeping Sabbath. Context, they were pushing all theses things, and judging them for not doing additions.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The let "no ones" speak volumes. If we do not apply the let no ones evenly, then we are left to think we should worship angels. If the let no one is not for sabbath, then the let no ones are not stopping angel worship!

4 I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ

16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance
belongs to Christ.

18 Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind,

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
:thumbsup:
Thankfully, Moses will not be our accuser :)

John 5:45 "No be ye supposing that I shall be accusing of-ye toward the Father, is the one-accusing of-ye, Moses into whom ye have hoped"
[Reve 12:10]

Reve 12:10 And I hear great voice in the Heaven saying "now became the salvation and the power and the Kingdom of the God of us, and the authority of the Christ of Him,
that was cast the Accuser of the brothers of us, the one-accusing them in sight of the God of us day and night.
[John 5:45]
exactly..tell that also to john hagee, who keeps saying america will be under a curse. The jews are under the curse of moses, as per gal 3:10, not those who believe.^_^

Upvote 0