Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

Colossians 3:1-4 ESV

“If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.”

If we have been raised with Christ to walk in newness of life in him, that means that we have first of all died with him to sin so that we are no longer enslaved to sin but now we live as slaves (servants) of God and of his righteousness. So we are to no longer let sin reign in our mortal bodies, to make us obey its sinful passions, for if sin is what we obey, and if obedience to our Lord and righteousness are not what we obey, that will lead to death, and not to life eternal with God (see Romans 6:1-23; Romans 8:1-14).

Also, if we have truly been crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we have been raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, our lives should be hidden with Christ in God. Jesus should now be Lord and Master of our lives, and our lives should now be surrendered to him to follow him wherever he leads us. He should now be our life, and our lives should now revolve around him and his will for our lives, and not around ourselves, and not around the trappings of this sinful world.

And if all of the above is true in our lives, then we should be seeking things that are above, where Christ is. And we should be setting our minds (thinking, reasoning) on things that are above, not on things that are on the earth. Now this doesn’t mean that we don’t live normal lives or that we hide ourselves away from the world to where we can’t possibly be influenced by the world. But we are to be God’s holy people who are separate (unlike, different) from the world because we are becoming like Jesus in character.

And so we should be focused on the Lord Jesus and on his will for our lives, and our lives should be committed to doing his will and to not living for the pleasures of this world. For we are not to be worldly people who are all caught up in the things of this sinful world, but we are to be godly people who are different from the ungodly, and who stand out as different, because we are walking in holiness and righteousness and not in sin, even if we are mocked and called names and thought to be oddballs.

And then when Jesus returns, if we have continued in him steadfast in faith, in walks of holiness and righteousness, and not in sin, in walks of obedience to our Lord, and not in obeying sin, then we will go to be with him for eternity. And this is not works salvation. It is the salvation message that Jesus and his New Testament apostles taught. For the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in us who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. And if our minds are set on the flesh, and not on our Lord, our lives will end in death, not in life everlasting (see Romans 8:1-14).

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Caution: This link may contain ads

Wordless Book Song

Child Evangelism Fellowship

My heart was dark with sin
until the Savior came in.
His precious blood I know
has washed me white as snow.
And in God's Word I'm told
I'll walk the street of gold.
To grow in Christ every day,
I read my Bible and pray.

Caution: This link may contain ads