✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gomez said:
Is there any evidence for this from a secular source?

That depends on how you define a "secular source." For example, all of the sources that Seed mentioned seem to be religious works. I checked all of the primary sources that the website's author used. They are either from the tenth century onwards, or make references to people who only vaguely resemble Jesus Christ. The only direct reference in most sources is to a man called "Yuz Asaf." How they get Jesus out of this, I do not know. The closest thing I can find on this site to a reference to Jesus in a manuscript called "Bhavishya Mahapurana," which I have never heard of. They claim it is from the first century AD, but it makes no reference to any death of Jesus (as if the Son of God can die after being resurrected from death). Christians already believe that the Apostle Thomas evangelized India, and died there when the Hindus killed him. It is entirely possible that at some point in his ministry, Jesus appeared to certain people in visions.

In any case, Christians do not believe that Jesus ever travelled to India. I am amazed that the same people who deny the historicity of the Bible believe in the "Jesus in India" theory, which is based on gross misinterpretations of various ancient documents. Jesus never went to India, and I doubt that anyone can provide evidence which is more credible than the ancient Christian witnesses.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There are legends and that's about all there is... No one has come up with substantive proof.

The Kashmiri tomb could just as well have been for a Sufi saint named Yuz Asaf.. There is also a tomb of Moses also in the general neighborhood but again no real evidence.

From what I've read of the Bhavishya Mahapurana it is a very late work and it refers to Jesus and Moses but not in a complimentary way ...more as a catalog of mlechcha religions.

There is also a spurious "Gospel" written by Nicholai Notovich that is also unverified claiming Jesus went to India. No one has ever verified any documentation for this.

- Art

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Arthra said:
There is also a spurious "Gospel" written by Nicholai Notovich that is also unverified claiming Jesus went to India. No one has ever verified any documentation for this.

That's not all. Notovich claimed to have heard the story from a certain Buddhist monk in India, and he publishes his book circa 1900. One of his contemporaries visited the monk at the very same Buddhist monestary, and denied having ever heard the story that Notovich had recorded.

So effectively, the Notovich account is "something that one guy heard from another guy." No manuscript witness, no archeological evidence, nothing at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IronPillar

Oct 21, 2005
Visit site
✟15,594.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jesus saw the glory and splendor of all the kingdoms of the earth including India at that time.The devil showed it to him in a moment and promised to give him all of it if Jesus would worship Satan.
The Devil said to Him, "I will give You their splendor and all this authority, because it has been given over to me, and I can give it to anyone I want. If You, then, will worship me, all will be Yours." And Jesus answered him, "It is written: You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him alone you shall serve." Luke 4:6-8

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(We're talking about non-religious sources, and if he visited, and taught or learned there and stuff, but you've certainly provided a strong arguement coming from religious sources, IronPillar)

Theree was a book I read that brought up a coin being struck in Jesus's honor in the first century. But, they didn't document it, the book was by a freemason who just happened to have too much spare time, and the book also included a masonic (or rather, the masonic author's) interpretation of Atlantis.

So I doubt it's veracity.

Upvote 0

MAXX

Oct 17, 2004
✟504.00
Faith
Hindu
Jesus in India theory is becoming very popular in India, among Hindus and some other sections of the world.

Christ and Chrishna similarities (I do things like father?), India is Holy land of the East and light of Christ came from East, Jesus in India theory etc. I would say this theory will destroy future of Christianity in India and later elsewhere because Christ is presented as messenger and devotee of Lord Chrishna who was in Holy land of India during what we call missing years of Jesus life and after surviving crucification according to those Hindus who know about Jesus and this theory and according to those western scholars who have studied Hinduism.

Well, even without this theory Christianity has no future in India because there is nothing in Christianity which is new to Hindus. Thats why even after 2000 years of Christian presence and efforts , Christianity is only 2% in India but the way this theory is spreading i believe it will definately have global effects sooner or later.

Upvote 0

ElderChiLLze

Feb 23, 2006
✟141.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
The fact that Jesus is entombed in India somewhere is a rough call at that.. (seeing as he himself said he would return to his father's kingdom and sit on his right hand side.. and act as advocate for this world.) Jesus is now in his glorified resurrected state, never to suffer a mortal death again..

the fact that he possibly visited people all around the world after his resurrection isn't too much of an impossibility..

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (mormons) believe that Jesus visited the americas..(after his resurrection) and have scripture written by ancient american prophets testifying of his coming and his importance for the salvation of mankind all across the world..

If this is hard to accept for some.. read some ancient latin american mythology, and work out who the incas/mayans saw as the 'white bearded God' who promised he would return..

the fact that he may have visited other bodies of people around the world would indeed prove that He loves people everywhere and of all kinds no?

or else why would he be referred to as the saviour of mankind.. He who died for ALL our sins?

chil

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MAXX

Oct 17, 2004
✟504.00
Faith
Hindu
Not related to this topic but i love his Quotes:

"It is already becoming clear that a chapter which had a Western beginning will have an Indian ending if it is not to end in self-destruction of the human race. At this supremely dangerous moment in human history , the only way of salvation is the ancient Hindu way. Here we have the attitude and spirit that can make it possible for the human race to grow together in to a single family."-- Arnold J. Toynbee

Upvote 0
G

Gomez

MAXX said:
Jesus in India theory is becoming very popular in India, among Hindus and some other sections of the world.

Christ and Chrishna similarities (I do things like father?), India is Holy land of the East and light of Christ came from East, Jesus in India theory etc. I would say this theory will destroy future of Christianity in India and later elsewhere because Christ is presented as messenger and devotee of Lord Chrishna who was in Holy land of India during what we call missing years of Jesus life and after surviving crucification according to those Hindus who know about Jesus and this theory and according to those western scholars who have studied Hinduism.

Well, even without this theory Christianity has no future in India because there is nothing in Christianity which is new to Hindus. Thats why even after 2000 years of Christian presence and efforts , Christianity is only 2% in India but the way this theory is spreading i believe it will definately have global effects sooner or later.

Christ and Chrishnah? It would seem like a similiarity in name but you have to remember christ comes from the greek word Christos and Christos is just a greek translation of the hebrew word moshiach. Moschiah and Krishnah don't sound too much alike.

Upvote 0

MAXX

Oct 17, 2004
✟504.00
Faith
Hindu
Gomez said:
Christ and Chrishnah? It would seem like a similiarity in name but you have to remember christ comes from the greek word Christos and Christos is just a greek translation of the hebrew word moshiach. Moschiah and Krishnah don't sound too much alike.
Ofcourse the names are similar but did i say they are connected also?

Hey, Christos is also another name of Chrishna. Do you know that? :)

Also, Chrishna in Greek is same as Christos.:)

Don't just concentrate on similar names , also compare similar incidents of their life History for much more coincidences (?) (I do things like father?) :)

In no way i am trying to say that Christ never existed. I am just saying that Chrishna is God, Christ is messenger or devotee or son of God. Every self-realized soul is in oneness with God as per Hindu philosphy. So, when Christ said, I and the Father are one, He was absolutely right.

Upvote 0
G

Gomez

MAXX said:
Ofcourse the names are similar but did i say they are connected also?

Hey, Christos is also another name of Chrishna. Do you know that? :)

Also, Chrishna in Greek is same as Christos.:)

Don't just concentrate on similar names , also compare similar incidents of their life History for much more coincidences (?) (I do things like father?) :)

In no way i am trying to say that Christ never existed. I am just saying that Chrishna is God, Christ is messenger or devotee or son of God. Every self-realized soul is in oneness with God as per Hindu philosphy. So, when Christ said, I and the Father are one, He was absolutely right.
So Chrishna means anointed one? I'm sure they have similiarities but a lot of religions have similiar myths.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Gomez said:
So Chrishna means anointed one? I'm sure they have similiarities but a lot of religions have similiar myths.

they were both born to virgins with an angel present at the birthplace. Krishna was born as a cowhearder and Jesus as a sheperd. Krishna was praised as God, Jesus killed to be resurrected. That's the only difference. THat difference is due to the people, not because of God's nature.

Upvote 0