Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Have you of you ever heard anything about Jesus being an Essene?

I don't think He could've been, because they were vegetarians.

Also, Do any of you know what kind of building the Last Supper took place in?

Thanks for any thoughts or links. :)

John Wells

Nov 29, 2004
Knoxville/TN
✟138.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
brotheralex said:
Jesus was not an "Essene", rather the son of man was Jewish. Paul is founder of Christianity. From the Apostle came hence, "Pauiline Christianity". When reading the dead sea scrolls, it appears the "Qumran sect" was in identification with, Apostolica Chrisindom.
Huh?

To the original post, Jesus & the early Church, like the Essenes (or whoever produced the DSS's) were 1st century Jewish apocalypticists who all originated from the same religious pool in Palestine. Thus scholars have noted many similarities which would be expected but there is little reason to believe Jesus actually was an Essene.

Some have speculated based on the Gospels description of John the Baptist, they he was but in the end there simply isnt enough historical inofrmation about him to base a decision on.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
✟15,554.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
ESSENE is actually a general term given as one of the four major sects of Judaism before and during the time of Christ. There were several different groups of Essenes. There was the radical cave-dwelling group at Qumran. There were the Egyptian Essenes known as "Theraputae" or the healers. There was also the group that lived near Mt. Carmel "the holy mountain" known as Nazarenes.
Actually, considering historical and Biblical evidence, Jesus was most likely an Essene. We know that He and His followers were vehemently opposed to the Sacrificial Temple cult. We also know that he was an Extreme Pacifist and Healer. These are all Essene traits. If you look up the historical information about the Essenes and compare it to Jesus you will see an uncanny resemblance.
The Essenes were a major sect of Judaism, yet, they were the radicals! They were the ones on the cutting edge. Jesus condemned the Pharisees. Jesus condemned the Saducees. Jesus condemned the Scribes. Jesus condemned all of the religious and political figures in His time except for the Essenes. This is fascinating, revolutionary information and I encourage you to research the subject. I have devoted my life to finding and spreading the Truth and Message of Jesus, so I must advise you to look into this.
God Bless,

Gregory

Upvote 0

dvd_holc

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
Arkansas
✟12,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, Jesus was not an Essene. Essenes were dualist who lived outside the normal establishments and did not have much to do with anyone else. They believe that God would destroy children of darkness, cleanse the temple, and install them as the proper priesthood. Jesus on the other hand constantly was getting in the face of the established leaders. He went into the synagogues around Galilee and taught the masses. He functioned as a Rabbi with authority, similar to the Pharisees. He taught in parables which the Pharisees used (not the Essenes). He was very close similarities to Honi the circle drawer or Hanina Ben Dosa. And finally, Jesus spoke against the Essenes (children of the light) in Luke 16:1-13. Now, in connection to the last supper, Jesus sought out the Essenes as they were waiting for that moment.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.