Jan 28, 2012
✟256.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Except they said, "said Michael Francis, president of J. C. Penney Company, Inc. "Importantly, we share the same fundamental values as Ellen."

Like someone posted earlier, the wicked acting wicked, shocking.

I think you are the one that needs to chill out and take your views where they are welcome,

Whosoever Will, May Come - Liberal
http://www.christianforums.com/f401/

If I am not welcome here why are you welcome here? Maybe you should post on the conservative forum? We are all brothers and sisters in Christ and it's tragic that you wish to divide instead of strive for inclusion.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Except they said, "said Michael Francis, president of J. C. Penney Company, Inc. "Importantly, we share the same fundamental values as Ellen."
If "sharing the same values" is the criteria by which you decide who you will patronize, start growing your own food, making your own clothes, building your own house, and don't plan on owning any TVs, radios, computers, cell phones or notepads. How are you at building cars?

Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If I am not welcome here why are you welcome here? Maybe you should post on the conservative forum? We are all brothers and sisters in Christ and it's tragic that you wish to divide instead of strive for inclusion.

Are you Baptist?

Reactions: SimplyByFaith
Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If "sharing the same values" is the criteria by which you decide who you will patronize, start growing your own food, making your own clothes, building your own house, and don't plan on owning any TVs, radios, computers, cell phones or notepads. How are you at building cars?

Wait? Aren't you and others "judging" me for my opinion? Sounds a little hypocritical, no?

Again,

"Realistically, there is no way to avoid all such business. But when a company openly makes an unrepentive sinner, who actively engages in immoral behavior, it's spokesperson, and states that this spokesperson's immoral values are our values, which are in direct opposition to the bible, then we as Christians need to make a choice."

Your statement lacks common sense but to answer your question, shamefully no, I do not. But I try when I can and when it is so in your face or when companies refuse to take a neutral position.

The point is a company should stay neutral on these topics. It's like when everbody's panties got in a bunch when Lowes decided to stop advertising for that muslim sitcom. All of a sudden people are now boycotting Lowes. And when the Salvation Army this past Christmas made a stand against homosexuality. Same thing, people boycotting them. And here is a clue, that is their perogative. Go ahead and boycott them. It made me give them more support.

I bet your tune will change when in this country, it will be illegal to speak out against certian practices that the Bible calls sin. But I'm sure people will just compromise then to.

Upvote 0

tawnde

Aug 28, 2011
Dallas/Fort Worth
✟15,186.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
JC Penney is a company this isn't about them taking a position on marriage equality or equal rights for gay people. This is about them promoting their company with a comedian who millions of Americans love and they found financially savvy to partner up with. Chill out!

Seriously.

You're not entitled to shop at JCPenney. If you don't like it, just don't take your business there.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wait? Aren't you and others "judging" me for my opinion? Sounds a little hypocritical, no?
Actually, I'm just pointing out what will be required of you if you choose this path. Not judging you. Just informing you.

Upvote 0

C-Man

Apr 12, 2010
Texas
✟9,173.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Marilyn Manson is an idiot. Nobody would use him to endorse their products, unless they're selling death metal and goth merchandise. :p
I personally don't care if JC Penney hires Ellen DeGeneres to endorse their company. I believe she's living in sin, and I don't agree with her lifestyle. But it is her lifestyle, and she's not trying to force it on anyone. However, I'm not going to raise a stink if JC Penney finds it to be beneficial to hire her for her comedic skills. I've got a lot better things to do.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I don't think that there is a problem with JCP having Ellen as a spokesperson (or Marilyn Manson). And I don't see a problem with Christians boycotting them if it is a matter of conscience.

I agree with this. I see no problem with JCP's choice of spokesperson. But, I also agree that nobody is obligated to shop anywhere they don't want to. But, if JCP had hired an unrepentant gossip, slanderer, or even an adulterer to be their spokesperson, I doubt there would half as much fuss from so-called "family values" groups.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
... I doubt there would half as much fuss from so-called "family values" groups.
We are "family values" oriented, and to disparage us with the insulting phrase "so-called" is why there is more argument on here than honest, productive discussion.

That said, yes, many of us fail to see that homosexual behavior is just one of many sins condemned in the Mosaic Law which remains effective today for Christians, but as a guideline, not as a requirement. Christians have developed a "buzz word" approach to condemning sin, when in fact we should all condemn all sin. That's not to say boycotting or shunning or ignoring, because that is only part of God's word to us regarding associating with sin. He also says to love others, and that includes the sinners too.

God is able to love perfectly and hate perfectly simultaneously. That is to say, He can love the person committing the sin and at the same time hate them for what they do to themselves and to their potential relationship with Him by continuing in sin. There is no malice in God's hate, as there is no partiality in His love. Human beings are absolutely incapable of that approach to sinners and their sins. We must let Christ speak through us, separating ourselves emotionally and soulfully from the sin and the sinner, while spiritually reaching out to the sinner, teaching of God's truth, and helping people recognize the call of God as it applies to them.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

WinBySurrender said:
We are "family values" oriented, and to disparage us with the insulting phrase "so-called" is why there is more argument on here than honest, productive discussion.

That said, yes, many of us fail to see that homosexual behavior is just one of many sins condemned in the Mosaic Law which remains effective today for Christians, but as a guideline, not as a requirement. Christians have developed a "buzz word" approach to condemning sin, when in fact we should all condemn all sin. That's not to say boycotting or shunning or ignoring, because that is only part of God's word to us regarding associating with sin. He also says to love others, and that includes the sinners too.

God is able to love perfectly and hate perfectly simultaneously. That is to say, He can love the person committing the sin and at the same time hate them for what they do to themselves and to their potential relationship with Him by continuing in sin. There is no malice in God's hate, as there is no partiality in His love. Human beings are absolutely incapable of that approach to sinners and their sins. We must let Christ speak through us, separating ourselves emotionally and soulfully from the sin and the sinner, while spiritually reaching out to the sinner, teaching of God's truth, and helping people recognize the call of God as it applies to them.

Those who get offended by the mere fact that someone is gay, but who easily let other equally serious moral issues slide without much concern are not interested in family values. If someone is truly motivated by a desire to preserve Christian family values, they well be as turned off by gossiping and dissension as they are by homosexuality. So, no, I don't think I insulted anyone who is truly interested in family values, just questioning the sincerity of many who claim to be.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Humans can condition themselves to believe and condone anything under the sun under the name of liberty, loving like God loves, or merely because they don't want to take a stand on anything.

Now, if humans could just get God to do the same, they would be right in their beliefs.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Having heard a few of Paul's sermons, methinks he should follow his own advice. :thumbsup:

He has. He has openly said he has misspoke and has apologized publicly. And no sarcasm intended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Those who get offended by the mere fact that someone is gay, but who easily let other equally serious moral issues slide without much concern are not interested in family values.
I'm thoroughly convinced that many people on this forum don't care what anyone else says, they are simply going to ramble aimlessly and unwittingly without consideration of any opinion other than their own. You did not read my post. You couldn't have. Otherwise this is not how you would have started your reply. So do me a favor: Unless you have read every word of one of my posts, do not bother replying to it. You make yourself look silly.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I'm thoroughly convinced that many people on this forum don't care what anyone else says, they are simply going to ramble aimlessly and unwittingly without consideration of any opinion other than their own. You did not read my post. You couldn't have. Otherwise this is not how you would have started your reply. So do me a favor: Unless you have read every word of one of my posts, do not bother replying to it. You make yourself look silly.

I did read your whole post, and I agree with most of it. But, your first paragraph made it seem as though you were offended by my use of the phrase "so-called family values groups", so I clarified. Until just now, I actually thought you were one of few rational voices in this thread; but now I don't know why you are taking such offense at me.

Upvote 0

AChristian4Life

Jan 28, 2012
✟256.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I called JC Penney today to let them know I support their decision to have Ellen. She is a bright and cheery positive role model as far as I am concerned. I agree with you that anyone who is just a lousy person wouldn't be an issue it's only an issue because she was born gay.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I called JC Penney today to let them know I support their decision to have Ellen. She is a bright and cheery positive role model as far as I am concerned. I agree with you that anyone who is just a lousy person wouldn't be an issue it's only an issue because she was born gay.
She is gay. No one knows if she was born that way. The evidence is inconclusive at best. Making that statement is a "Big Lie" tactic that doesn't reflect well on the person saying it, or the person he's talking about.

Upvote 0

AChristian4Life

Jan 28, 2012
✟256.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
She is gay. No one knows if she was born that way. The evidence is inconclusive at best. Making that statement is a "Big Lie" tactic that doesn't reflect well on the person saying it, or the person he's talking about.

All the science points to biology and while they can't pinpoint one specific gene they also can't pinpoint that for being a certain eye color or left handed. Do you think people choose to have brown eyes?

Studies show that something probably occurs in utero that influences our sexual orientation. In addition there are physical differences between the hypothalmus in the brain of gay people versus straight and other physiological differences.

Upvote 0