Jason Aldean’s anti-woke anthem shoots to No. 1 on iTunes after CMT pulls video

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There were Polynesian islanders who did use shells. But, no, bartering doesn't work in the long run and over the long course of trade. That's why systems of currency were invented across so many cultures.
Certainly makes it easier. But there are organisations like this: Home - IRTA — International Reciprocal Trade Association

And this: Could bartering become the new buying in a changed world?

'The increase in bartering is nowhere better exemplified than in Fiji, which inspired Dunne’s London group. The country has a long tradition of barter, known as ‘veisa’. It’s only grown amid Covid-19, and Fijians have harnessed modern technology to connect even more people.

“I knew that money would be tight to stretch out and even harder to come by. I asked myself what happens when there’s no more money? Barter was a natural solution to that,” says Marlene Dutta, who started the Barter for a Better Fiji group on 21 April. Its membership is just under 190,000 – more than 20% of Fiji’s population. Items changing hands have run the gamut – pigs for kayaks, a violin for a leather satchel and doughnuts for building bricks – but the most commonly requested items have been groceries and food.'

I'm retired now so I have time to pursue one hobby, which is making (ahem) certain types of beverage. And I've used bottles of that for getting some gardening done, some plumbing and I have a regular exchange with someone who brews their own beer. One bottle of mine for a case of his. I'm going to try out my wife's hairdresser next...

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is this the philosophy that Marxist Oligarchs rely on to justify killing off everyone who stands in the way of their better way?
No. That was just a means to control society taken to an extreme.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,479,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly makes it easier. But there are organisations like this: Home - IRTA — International Reciprocal Trade Association

And this: Could bartering become the new buying in a changed world?

'The increase in bartering is nowhere better exemplified than in Fiji, which inspired Dunne’s London group. The country has a long tradition of barter, known as ‘veisa’. It’s only grown amid Covid-19, and Fijians have harnessed modern technology to connect even more people.

“I knew that money would be tight to stretch out and even harder to come by. I asked myself what happens when there’s no more money? Barter was a natural solution to that,” says Marlene Dutta, who started the Barter for a Better Fiji group on 21 April. Its membership is just under 190,000 – more than 20% of Fiji’s population. Items changing hands have run the gamut – pigs for kayaks, a violin for a leather satchel and doughnuts for building bricks – but the most commonly requested items have been groceries and food.'

I'm retired now so I have time to pursue one hobby, which is making (ahem) certain types of beverage. And I've used bottles of that for getting some gardening done, some plumbing and I have a regular exchange with someone who brews their own beer. One bottle of mine for a case of his. I'm going to try out my wife's hairdresser next...
Bartering is not going to get an automobile built with thousands of parts machined in dozens of manufacturing plants from materials gathered from around the world and delivered by a trucking company with trucks built through a similar process running on diesel fuel procured on the other side of the planet, refined in a refinery and delivered across country to a fuel station with the automobile finally being delivered to the cherry farmer who only had to deliver his cherries to a food broker.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,479,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correct...bartering tends to only work in small communities where there's a common idea of what's "valuable"

In a big country, there has to be some common form of currency that weighs out and represents value across a variety of regions and interests.

For instance, if you had a northern territory where pelts for warmth were a valuable commodity, those aren't going to be exactly appealing to a southern territory where it's hot outside most of the year.

Much like if you live in a dry dessert environment, fresh drinking water it going to be a hot commodity...not so much in an area that has a dozen fresh springs and streams within walking distance.
We see in ancient writings like the Old Testament and things that even by 4000 BC entire nations were specializing in single products sold in quantity to other nations. Metal ores of one nation were sold to the smelters of another nation, then those tools sold to yet another nation.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bartering is not going to get an automobile built with thousands of parts machined in dozens of manufacturing plants from materials gathered from around the world and delivered by a trucking company with trucks built through a similar process running on diesel fuel procured on the other side of the planet, refined in a refinery and delivered across country to a fuel station with the automobile finally being delivered to the cherry farmer who only had to deliver his cherries to a food broker.
True. It's small scale only.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If religion ever became a burden to capitalism, capitalism would march boldly on leaving religion in the dust.
It already is in most materially successful capitalist countries. The rest will follow to the extent that capitalism brings properity.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,104,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No. That was just a means to control society taken to an extreme.
I see. It was about control.

What I don't understand, is that if Marxism is such a great idea; why aren't people jumping to sign up for it?

Why do the "stronger grasses" choke out the "weaker grasses" by exterminating millions of people?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yep.
What I don't understand, is that if Marxism is such a great idea; why aren't people jumping to sign up for it?
In an ideal world it would be an ideal system. But...it's not an ideal world. Individually, we always seem to want more of whatever we've got. Or it's got to be bigger, smarter, more up-to-date. Have a look around wherever you are sitting right now and see how much 'stuff' you have that you don't really need. And if someone in work gets a raise then hey, how come you didn't get one? Ever turn down a raise because you didn't need the extra money? Ever felt the need to share everything you have with everyone else? Gee, isn't that meant to be the Christian Way? Well, fat chance of either of us doing that.
Why do the "stronger grasses" choke out the "weaker grasses" by exterminating millions of people?
You need to have everyone on board with the system. If you don't then it will collapse naturally and head in a different direction, maybe with a helping hand. Or you try to force everyone to comply. If you do that, then eventually the people who rose up and kicked out the last group of bourgeoisie leaders will rise up and get rid of their thug replacements.

Mao led the people to rise up in his cultural revolution. But keep your boot on the necks of the people for too long and they will rise up again. That's one of the reasons why China is controlling the slow conversion of the country to a capitalist society. I was in China briefly after he died. And the place, at least in Canton (now Guangzhou) was a basket case. You didn't have to be an expert in sociology or political science to see that the system had no hope of lasting.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟144,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Does it surprise you that the “have-nots” would like to have a system where they were not the “have-nots”?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I see nothing redeeming in tilting at windmills, which is what most of the outrage about "wokeness" is. It's a distraction from substantive political and cultural engagement.

If we weren't (for some unknown reason) always distracted by trivial fights we might start thinking about important issues.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟706,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dont know if it matters, but Aldean didnt grow up in a small town, nor does he live in one. And he didnt write the song - which is fairly typical in the Nashville industry.

Some might call it faking. Others might call it acting. As a music artist myself (not a songwriter), Im ok with putting on a persona or writing from another pov.
And Elton John never was near a yellow brick road.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,104,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In an ideal world it would be an ideal system. But...it's not an ideal world. Individually, we always seem to want more of whatever we've got. Or it's got to be bigger, smarter, more up-to-date. Have a look around wherever you are sitting right now and see how much 'stuff' you have that you don't really need. And if someone in work gets a raise then hey, how come you didn't get one? Ever turn down a raise because you didn't need the extra money? Ever felt the need to share everything you have with everyone else? Gee, isn't that meant to be the Christian Way? Well, fat chance of either of us doing that.
I have turned down raises because I didn't need the extra money. I wouldn't share everything that I have with everyone. YHWH calls us to be wise stewards of the resources that he has given us. I make wise decisions on who I can help.

Most people will do the least amount of work for the most that they can get out of it. This is a big part of why Communism fails.

In addition, the Oligarchs who set up these systems, don't play by the same rules that they impose on the rest. These elitists shop at special stores, and take advantage of other benefits that are not afforded to the masses who live in squalor.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have turned down raises because I didn't need the extra money.
You didn't think that you should have taken it and donated every extra cent to some worthy cause? That's just...bizarre.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And Elton John never was near a yellow brick road.
Quite hard being near an analogy. You'd be better off using The Boss as an example. He wrote songs about a life he never experienced. But we shouldn't hold that against any singer - unless they are trying to convince us that it was true.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,209,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It already is in most materially successful capitalist countries. The rest will follow to the extent that capitalism brings properity.
I don't think capitalism ever has to get fully detached from religion, simply because religion itself can often be an "avenue of profit".

Televangelists have shown for years that religion itself can be a lucrative market-driven endeavor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟144,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quite hard being near an analogy. You'd be better off using The Boss as an example. He wrote songs about a life he never experienced. But we shouldn't hold that against any singer - unless they are trying to convince us that it was true.
That was Milli Vanilli

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟144,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I turned down a job making more money because I’m happy at the one I have, but if they would give me more money I would take it

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,479,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sting revived his career making a point of singing songs from the point of view of people he never was.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That was Milli Vanilli
They were hard done by. Pressured by the record company and their agent. And I remember Mcartney being asked if they actually played their own instruments. Then we had The Monkees of course...

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sting revived his career making a point of singing songs from the point of view of people he never was.
True. And there are very many more. But as long as they don't pretend that they did live that life or was that person then I'm happy to allow for some artistic license. I doubt if Cash actually shot a man in Reno..but a lot of what Paul Simon wrote about was autobiographical. Homeward Bound, Kathy's song and America for example.

Upvote 0