Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
My Wife and I go into the cell block each month to teach a Bible Study to 5 to 20 prisoners . We also write a weekly letter to 5-6+ inmates at other facilities.

We start out with a prayer , then ask if there are any questions , then proceed with lesson we have prepared for that week , if there is time .

We believe that the Holy Spirit protects us , our home , and family as we work within and correspond with prisoners .

A Few Qestions :
1. Is there any other Jail Ministers out there ?
2. Is anyone interested in doing so ?
3. Would you like to share best / worst day within facility ?
4. Would you like to share some do's and don'ts
:groupray:

B

brinley45cal

plmarquette said:
My Wife and I go into the cell block each month to teach a Bible Study to 5 to 20 prisoners . We also write a weekly letter to 5-6+ inmates at other facilities.

We start out with a prayer , then ask if there are any questions , then proceed with lesson we have prepared for that week , if there is time .

We believe that the Holy Spirit protects us , our home , and family as we work within and correspond with prisoners .

A Few Qestions :
1. Is there any other Jail Ministers out there ?
2. Is anyone interested in doing so ?
3. Would you like to share best / worst day within facility ?
4. Would you like to share some do's and don'ts
:groupray:
I think thats great that you do that for the prisoners.I used to work as a corrections officer and deputy jailer and i could tell you some stories that would make your hair stand up.But you have to remember that not everyone in prison is a bad person or violent.Some are good people that have made bad decsions,and they just want to do there time and go back to there families.I knew some who didnt have a home or money or family and commit petty crimes just to be able to have a roof over there heads with a warm bed and a hot meal,so they do just enough to get put in jail for awhile.
Then you have the ones that have been given the label of instatutionalized.These are the ones who have been in prison for so long that they could not survive on there own in society,They cant function if they dont have someone tell them when to get up,when to go to bed ,when to go to work,and when to eat.I have actualy seen a few that were finaly going to be released and they begged and cried to stay there because they were affraid to be out and on there own.Its pretty sad actualy.
Then you have the ones who would cut your throat just for looking at them.
I could go on and on about different subjects related to that.Like prisoners have there own rules ,they call it jail house rules,like no snitching on another prisoner,that could get you shanked,never stare someone in the eyes unless your talking to them,its a sign of aggression,ect ect.I would be more then happy to try to answer any questions you might have about it,just let me know.Oh yeah before i forget,whatever you do ,do not call them convicts that could get you killed,you call them inmates,they consider being called a convict as a very very bad insult,thats a no no.
Your doing a good thing,i know you will be blessed because of it.

Upvote 0

LauraC

Nov 6, 2004
PA USA
✟174.00
Faith
Christian
I work with women in a state prison once a week, I meet with an average of 12 women we do a 16 week group. I feel more secure inside the fence than I do on the outside. The women are hugry for to learn and and to be heard by those who dont pass judgement on them, they made mistakes and are paying the price. they want to go home find jobs and be productive, they just need ppl to listen as they tell there stories and given the time to ask questions. I find that when you give them a question, they will give you so much in ways of answering, I learned so much from them as I hope they have learned from me.

Upvote 0

Maplehugger

Mar 18, 2004
✟7,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can tell you from personal experience with jail ministry that it is much needed. Whatever you can do... do it. Inmates live 24/5/365 with nothing but evil around them. You care very much the only light of Jesus Christ they could see. So shine your light brightly and be consistent. They need consistency. However, be guarded about sharing your personal information with them. That is always a wise thing to do.

Thank you so much for wanting to do this. I will pray God will bless you as you seek to serve Him. I will also pray that the inmates you go to that their hearts will be softened and ready to receive that which you will share.

Maplehugger

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I once taught in a Youth Detention Center, but have never been involved in a prison ministry. Right now I do an internship with addicts and alcoholics who have been to prison, and are in treatment trying to avoid going back. Many prisoners are addicts who need to be freed of their addictions, and the crimes they have committed are connected to those addictions.

God bless your efforts.

Upvote 0

stephanieamber

i am gonna love like you've never seen.
Jan 6, 2009
#upperleftusa
Visit site
✟21,918.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
My father went to jail for domestic violence when I was younger. It was there through the work of people like yours that he found Christ and came out a new man. His faith is one that I admire greatly.

Thank you for everything you do for people. You are changing lives :)

Upvote 0

feo

Angels Fall First
Feb 14, 2004
Arizona
✟12,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Priest at the old Coptic church held Bible studies at the prison.

I don't know if I just went to deprived churches growing up - but it wasn't often that I encountered prison ministry within the protestant umbrella. Just odd to me since they have the whole stereotype of hardcore evangelism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikki

Jul 20, 2006
Nevada
✟15,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As we all know God works in amazing ways which is how I ended up at Social Justice. I just watched "Dead Man Walking" yesterday, and it had a huge impact on me. I was trying to find a forum on this site to discuss my reactions to this movie, and when I came to this forum, the first thread was "Jail Ministry." I was not even considering this type of ministry for myself, but rather just a discussion of this amazing movie. Now I am thinking that maybe God is leading me towards this.....definitely time to pray and ask God for additional guidance in this area. I have taught children with behavioral needs for over 20 years in the public school system so maybe it is just the place our Lord is leading me!!
Has anyone else seen this movie and if so, what are your reactions? The themes of love and forgiveness are much more subtle than similar death row topics I have seen, but the nun's portrayal of understanding beyond anything she had even seen was what amazed me even more.

Upvote 0