it is wrong to physically defend yourself from your parents when your children still live with them but are adults

Oct 5, 2023
Ponte serrada
✟10,493.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is it a sin to defend yourself from your parents' aggression if you still live with them?

ok first don't worry, it's not about me, but I have an adult acquaintance who lives with her mother who last week tried to attack her with a spatula and she defended herself, she still lives with her but has a job, is she wrong? some people in our church, including the priest, are angry with her

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it a sin to defend yourself from your parents' aggression if you still live with them?

ok first don't worry, it's not about me, but I have an adult acquaintance who lives with her mother who last week tried to attack her with a spatula and she defended herself, she still lives with her but has a job, is she wrong? some people in our church, including the priest, are angry with her
No it’s not wrong to defend herself as long as it’s done correctly and gently. Why is this adult female still living with her mother? Is it possible the mother needs to have a medical check up? Why did the mother go after the daughter with a spatula?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

As this is not in the Christian only ethics and morality sub fora she has every right to defend her self.

Parent or not, assault is assault.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When my father's dementia was leading him to occasionally strike out physically, I asked my martial arts instructor for lessons in self-defense that didn't involve any strikes, just blocks and deflection. That kind of self-defense would be my first choice if a family member wielding a spatula came after me. (A spatula? What an odd weapon.)

If we're talking about serious assault, with fists or knives or something like that, then that's a different matter. Defend as best as you can in the moment, and call the police. As a Christian, I'd still try for self-defense that doesn't inflict serious damage, if that's possible.

Like Michie, I'm curious. What led up to the spatula incident?

And, what kind of defensive action did she take? Why are the priest and congregation mad at her?

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By defending ourselves what exactly does this entail?

Are we talking about snatching the weapon out of their hand and running for our lives? Or are we talking about now physically attacking them back even after we've gotten hold of their weapon?

By attacking them back, I'm looking at examples like, kicking them, punching them and even throwing objects or something at them. Now, that will no longer be defending ourselves but that will have now spiralled into something very very nasty.

They could have just left them holding their spatula & rushed off to their room & locked the door until things had eased off.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2023
Ponte serrada
✟10,493.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Não, não é errado se defender, desde que seja feito de maneira correta e gentil. Por que essa mulher adulta ainda mora com a mãe? É possível que a mãe precise fazer um exame médico? Por que a mãe foi atrás da filha com uma espátula?
Sorry, I wrote this question poorly, I was
I'm really looking forward to the day when I can erase and write better

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2023
Ponte serrada
✟10,493.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Quando a demência de meu pai o levava a atacar fisicamente ocasionalmente, pedi ao meu instrutor de artes marciais aulas de autodefesa que não envolvessem golpes, apenas bloqueios e deflexões. Esse tipo de autodefesa seria minha primeira escolha se um membro da família empunhando uma espátula viesse atrás de mim. (Uma espátula? Que arma estranha.)

Se estamos falando de agressão grave, com punhos ou facas ou algo parecido, então a questão é diferente. Defenda-se o melhor que puder no momento e chame a polícia. Como cristão, eu ainda tentaria uma autodefesa que não infligisse danos graves, se isso fosse possível.

Assim como Michie, estou curioso. O que levou ao incidente da espátula?

E que tipo de ação defensiva ela tomou? Por que o padre e a congregação estão bravos com ela?
Desculpe, escrevi mal esta pergunta, estava
Estou realmente ansioso pelo dia em que poderei apagar e escrever melhor

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Desculpe, escrevi mal esta pergunta, estava
Estou realmente ansioso pelo dia em que poderei apagar e escrever melhor

[ Google translate tells me this is: "Sorry, I wrote this question poorly, I was I'm really looking forward to the day when I can erase and write better". ]

I thought the English in your original post was fine! I'm just curious to know more details about the situation.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Sounds like a mess to run, not walk, away from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums