✟1,358,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 5 ESV

“It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.” 1 Corinthians 5:1-2

So, a man in the church gathering was apparently sleeping (in sexual union) with his father’s wife, i.e. with his mother or with his stepmother. That was considered incest at that time and as something not even tolerated by pagans (by the ungodly of this world). So this was horrific that this was being tolerated within the gatherings of the church. Yet not only was the church tolerating this evil, but the people were arrogant, and they didn’t even mourn over this horrific evil being tolerated among them.

Then let’s fast forward to the year 2023, and I will focus mainly on the church in America, for that is where I live, and that is what I know. Sexual immorality is running rampant within the gatherings of what are called “churches” here in America, overall, although not in every congregation. Incest, homosexuality, extra-marital affairs, inappropriate contentography addiction, self-gratification and all sorts of sexually explicit and deviant behaviors are being tolerated, for they are not being brought under biblical church discipline.

Instead, the churches largely seem to be pampering them in their sinful lifestyles, either by ignoring their sinful practices, or by giving them free license to continue in sin without feelings of guilt or remorse, and/or by providing support groups for the sexually addicted which, in reality, allow the sexually addicted to continue on in their sexually addictive practices indefinitely, all under the guise that they are being helped. But is that how Paul dealt with such sin within the gatherings of the church? No!

We live in a day and age here in America, and in the world, and within the gatherings of what are called “churches” where sin is being not only tolerated, but it is being supported and applauded, in some cases, and even encouraged. And this is also a time period where the truth of the gospel of Christ is not being tolerated, and it is not being supported and applauded, but it is being vilified and altered and reinvented to make it more agreeable and acceptable to those who want to continue in their sinful practices.

“For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 5:3-5

Do you know of any church gatherings where they are actually putting this into practice? I don’t! My experience has been the opposite. In my experience they tolerate such sins as this but while they are intolerant of those who are teaching or sharing the truth of the gospel of Christ. The truth tellers are the ones they are being encouraged to cast out of their gatherings, not the addicted to sexual immorality. Those they embrace. For the truth offends, and they don’t want to offend the sinners.

And this isn’t just taking place within literal physical gatherings of what are called “churches,” but this is taking place in many virtual gatherings of professers of faith in Jesus Christ where the truth is being squelched in favor of the lies, and where sin is being promoted, and where the commandments of God are being rejected and vilified. For the goal of “the church” in America (at large, overall) is to attract the world to their gatherings and to not offend the people of the world with the truth, lest they not come back.

“Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.” 1 Corinthians 5:6-8

Again, this is not what is happening in the majority of such gatherings of what are called “church” here in America. And that is because the majority of them have unified with the government and with the world and with big business in turning the gatherings of the church into marketplaces which they are then marketing to the people of the world. And any good “business” person knows that if you want people to buy your product that you have to make it something that they will like, not something that they will reject.

So, most of them don’t seem to be concerned about the fact that by this approach to “doing church” they are actually leading people into sin, not out of sin. For they are giving them free license to continue in deliberate and habitual sin against God, and against other humans, while they are promising them forgiveness of all sins and heaven as their eternal destiny guaranteed, regardless of how they live. And so sin is running rampant in the gatherings of what are called “churches,” and lives are being destroyed.

“I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. ‘Purge the evil person from among you.’ 1 Corinthians 5:9-13

Now these instructions were given to the church, as a whole. This is not something that one individual person can do on his own. But one individual person can speak out against such goings on as what are described here, and that can make a difference in other people’s lives. So we should not be silent on these issues even if our voices may not be heard by the majority, and even if others may attempt to silence us. One individual person can stand up against evil and say “No!” to it, but the church needs to act.

The church as a whole body needs to “take the bull by the horns,” so to speak, and deal bravely and decisively with this difficult and dangerous (for the body of Christ) and unpleasant and uncomfortable situation which the church, at least here in America, is finding herself in these days. And then we must pray individually, seeking the counsel of the Lord as to how we should respond to such situations. But they have to be known (provable) situations like the one in the Corinthian church.

Even if we suspect foul play, and that something is going on with some people, which should not be going on with them, we can’t accuse them on the basis of suspicion only. So there all we can do is to pray that what is going on will be brought out into the open and exposed for what it is so that we will have legitimate cause to address the situation for what it is. For many such sins are being kept secret, for the sinners do not want them exposed. And so we pray for the truth to come out in the open, and then we can act accordingly.

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,