Isn't it just the coolest thing when....

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
your priest comes to your home to bless it? Yeah, I know. I've had Father over before, but for him to drive an hour south and enter into our home, you just feel the presence of Christ in all gathered. It's such a cool experience each time. Father blessed our icons, our home, the kids, Kate, and I. He is in a wheelchair so he had me carry up the basil and bless the upstairs rooms with it and the holy water.

Such a wonderful experience. Ok. I'm done. Just had to say it. :) I never get tired of this stuff, I swear....:crosseo:

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright, maybe I was silly starting a thread like this, but having been Catholic for so many years, it was like PULLING TEETH to get your priest to come to your house! In Orthodoxy, it's so normal, so expected, so natural. I just still feel it's a tremendous thing.....

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Alright, maybe I was silly starting a thread like this, but having been Catholic for so many years, it was like PULLING TEETH to get your priest to come to your house! In Orthodoxy, it's so normal, so expected, so natural. I just still feel it's a tremendous thing.....

I enjoy seeing converts getting so excited about Orthodoxy. Many cradle Orthodox would not bat an eye about it....which is sad.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Almost two years in our new apartment and we still don't have it blessed. Not because the priest is unwilling, but because my wife has stalled, wanting things "just so" and not really making it a priority.

But it certainly is nice when you can do it!

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at all silly. You SHOULD be thrilled and excited about it.

Some friends moved in down the block from us, and before they even brought the first box inside, our preacher (we all go to the Vineyard) came and blessed every room of the house.

One block over, a guy had a "Habitat for Humanity" house built, and he invited the entire neighborhood to the dedication and blessing by their preacher. It was so cool!

Shortly after we moved in, thirty-some years ago, my wife and I went around our house, and anointed every door with oil, praying the whole time about the use we hoped to see the home put to in the future.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm with you, gurney. I love having our house blessed. I put it off for a year during remodeling, but then when we put it on the market, I asked Father to come bless it. And now that we have moved into an apartment, he said don't wait too long - he doesn't care if it's a mess! So it's time to have him come bless the messy apartment.

Mary

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My priest lives an hour north, is in a wheelchair, and is really busy. He's a priest who is really committed to his holy orders and taking them seriously. He has told us before that NEVER under any circumstances would he deny a person confession. He says that he will accept a request for a confession any time. He says his soul is on the line if he denies an opportunity to grant a person absolution and healing. Father is a guy with a lot of integrity.

Father really loved my new icon, too---my Three Hierarchs icon. He blessed it while he was there.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My priest lives an hour north, is in a wheelchair, and is really busy. He's a priest who is really committed to his holy orders and taking them seriously. He has told us before that NEVER under any circumstances would he deny a person confession. He says that he will accept a request for a confession any time. He says his soul is on the line if he denies an opportunity to grant a person absolution and healing. Father is a guy with a lot of integrity.

Father really loved my new icon, too---my Three Hierarchs icon. He blessed it while he was there.
Okay now THAT is the mark of a true priest! :thumbsup:

Ah yes, the house blessings are always a good time. I can't wait for the day when I have my own place and get it blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's incredible! I had never heard of this icon until you just mentioned it...I read up on it a little. I bet you and your husband were blown away when he showed up with that!

The last time our priest was at our house he brought the Kursk Root Icon with him!

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was amazing for sure! I knew the Icon was in town for a few hours and we had planned to go to the Church to venerate it later in the day. I spent the morning gardening and the operative word for the day was "muddy." I was just getting out of the shower when my friend phoned and said "Xenia, Father is on his way to your house with the Icon! He'll be there in three minutes!" So I threw on some clothes and did as much tidying as could be done (remember: muddy) in a few minutes and I looked out the window and there was Father with the blessed Icon. He blessed every room in our house. What a great blessing! I still can't believe it happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums