Is your spouse similar to your opposite sex parent?

Is your spouse similar to your opposite sex parent?

• I am a man and my wife is NOT like my mother.

• I am a man and my wife IS like my mother.

• I am a woman and my husband is NOT like my father.

• I am a woman and my husband IS like my father.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jd032700

Jan 23, 2005
Texas
✟15,701.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The reason I am asking this is that my husband is at my dad's house right now. They went fishing this morning and are now doing some other stuff; who knows what. My DH has been gone since 5:30 this morning.

When I got married I didn't think I was marrying a man just like my husband, but 4 1/2 years later they are exactly a like. Sometimes when my husband is talking I feel like I'm listening to my father. They get along like brothers and I honestly think that they are both enjoying the best friendship they've ever had.

I know that some people who didn't have great childhoods purposely do not marry someone like their parents, but did any of you try to marry someone like your parent. I didn't really try one way or the other.

Just curious.

Ellethidhren

Wise Elf Maiden from Middle Earth
Apr 22, 2005
Lothlorien, Middle Earth
Visit site
✟657.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Dad, bless his soul, had the most hillarious sense of humor. I think the reason why I did marry my husband is because he's had me laughing since the day we met and married 13 years ago. I think both men and women have a need to have some favorite qualities of their parent in their spouse.

Upvote 0

~Mrs. A2J~

According to your faith will it be done to you
Aug 13, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟10,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think my husband and father are very much alike and I think they would be good friends if it wasn't for the fact that they live 5000 miles apart. They have a good relationship now but obviously can't do things regularly together since they only see each other once a year or so. I love that my hubby has some of the qualities that I love about my dad but unfortunately my hubby has some of the less desirable ones too! I love them both anyway :D

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I never really thought about it but my husband does share some similar interests with my father and they do have some similar personality traits also. However, my dad is so quiet whilst my hubby is more confident and talkative. So there are some differences and some similarities.

Upvote 0

indagroove

Apr 14, 2005
USA
✟9,211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dr. Fraud could have a field day with this poll.

My wife has many of my mother's excellent traits. They would have gotten along very well. Unfortunately my wife never knew my mother.

But my wife in no way, mothers me. And I did not marry her because she reminds me of mom.

paging Dr. Fraud.....

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
Wifey is nothing like mom.

Wife has a very dominant, outgoing personality. Mom is reserved and very conservative.

I also look at the interactions that take place between my mom and dad. My dad gets away with saying things to my mom that couldn't happen in my house.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelwings67

May 10, 2005
Texas USA
✟1,857.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that's one of the things that first attracted me to my husband. He reminded me so much of my father, that it was just easy to trust him and to talk to him. Not to mention he has a sense of humor simular to my father.

Perhaps too, I might have been looking for a substitute father. My father has advanced Alzhiemer's (hence the purple ribbon in my armor). My husband and have been married almost five years, and five years ago was about the time my father was first diagnosed. But of course, my husband fill a lot of my needs, that my father never could. :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

chrislife

OCDS
Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
✟17,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My first husband was a lot like my dad. After I divorced, I spent 6 years alone, and got to know myself a lot better... well enough to know that I needed to look for love, not familiarity. My dad does not know how to love, but my husband is the most loving person I know.

---Christina

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jd032700

Jan 23, 2005
Texas
✟15,701.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. It's interesting to me that many more women have said they married men like their fathers than men have said they married women like their mothers.

Anyway, I didn't really mean similar in physical characteristics. My husband is a foot and a half taller than my father, so they don't look alike at all, although they both have blue eyes. I really meant personality traits and thought processes. My husband and father think about things exactly the same and if I want to know what one of them thinks, I just need to ask the other one.

Anyway.... any more responders?

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think subconciously, if you have a good example from your parents, you seek out someone similar. That is the example you have growing up as to what a marriage is suppose to be, and if it was a good one, you strive for the same thing.

I always thought my dad was the best guy in the entire world. I never thought I'd ever find a guy as good as him. I thought they were extinct. But all of great qualities my father has, my husband has.

And my husband has said, how much I remind him of his mother, in the ways that she was. She passed away over 20 years ago, but he says it's kind of comforting to him that he found a wife that is just as wonderful as mom was.

Wonder if my kids will repeat the cycle?

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
jd032700 said:
It's interesting to me that many more women have said they married men like their fathers than men have said they married women like their mothers.

I can't help but wonder what conclusions can be made from this? I'll pull a few out of the air and some of you can feel free to say which ones apply to you.

1. A lot of women admire their fathers so much, that they really only feel comfortable marrying men like their fathers.

2. A lot of guys like their moms, but don't want to have a romantic interest in someone like their mom.

3. It's no wonder wives and mothers-in-law never get along... they're usually quite different.

Upvote 0