Is your parish getting prepared for the Synod?

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is a powerful graphic reminding us of what we are facing - the make-believe "Imagine" world of John Lennon's song - the final day-dream masking their dystopia - the dark black-and-white "evolution" (replacement) of the saving and true Gospel of the Kingdom.

• Prayers
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is hard to prepare for what appears to be coming further into the Church.
It is heartbreaking sometimes to think of it ... I so loved 'the one, holy, Catholic Church' of old ...
but like most everywhere else now, we are seeing sin and modernism move in and take over.

There are still remnants of 'the old' ... and I believe there will be a remnant, true and thru to the end ...
but the remnant is getting harder and harder to find ...

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is hard to prepare for what appears to be coming further into the Church.
It is heartbreaking sometimes to think of it ... I so loved 'the one, holy, Catholic Church' of old ...
but like most everywhere else now, we are seeing sin and modernism move in and take over.

There are still remnants of 'the old' ... and I believe there will be a remnant, true and thru to the end ...
but the remnant is getting harder and harder to find ...
Yes, harder to find, but growing by His grace in numbers (!) and in faithfulness, hope, and charity - thus HIs Bride grows in her beauty in His eyes. God permits such evil to continue, drawing forth greater good such as that.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
FYI:
Bishop Athanasius Schneider posted this prayer on his website yesterday:

Prayer for the 2023 “Synod on Synodality”​

Lord Jesus Christ, Our God and Saviour, You are the Head of the Church, Your spotless Bride and Mystical Body. Look mercifully upon the profound distress to which Our Holy Mother Church has been subjected. Doctrinal confusion, moral abomination, and liturgical abuse have, in our day, reached an unprecedented height. “The heathens have come into your inheritance, having defiled your holy temple, and laid Jerusalem in ruins” (Ps 79:1). Churchmen who have lost the true Faith and become promoters of a worldly globalist agenda, are intent on changing Your truths and Commandments, the Divine Constitution of the Church, and the Apostolic tradition.

O Lord, with humble spirit and contrite heart we beseech you, prevent the enemies of the Church from exulting in a victory over the authentic Catholic Church obtained by imposing a counterfeit church under the guise of “synodality”. Stir up Your power, O Lord, and come to the aid of Your Church with Your almighty strength. For where sin and apostasy in the Church abounds, the victory of Your grace will abound the more.

We firmly believe that the gates of Hell will not prevail against Your Church. In this hour, in which our beloved and holy Mother Church is suffering her Golgotha, we promise to remain with her. Graciously accept our interior and exterior sufferings, which we humbly offer in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mother of the Church, as a reparation for our own sins and for the sins of sacrilege and apostasy within the Church.

O Lord, send forth your Holy Angels under the command of Saint Michael the Archangel, to bring your heavenly light to the Pope and synod participants, and to frustrate the plans of your enemies within the synod assembly. O Lord, look mercifully upon the little ones in the Church, look upon the hidden souls who sacrifice themselves for the Church, look upon all the tears, sighs and supplications of the true children of the Church, and through the merits of the Immaculate Heart of Your Most Holy Mother, arise, O Lord, and by Your intervention grant Your Church holy shepherds who, imitating Your example, will give their lives for You and Your sheep. O Lord, we beseech You: Through the Blessed Virgin Mary, grant us a holy Pope, zealous in promoting and defending the Catholic Faith, we implore You, grant it! Through the Blessed Virgin Mary, grant us holy and intrepid bishops, we implore You, grant it! Through the Blessed Virgin Mary, grant us holy priests, who are men of God, we implore You, grant it! In You, O Lord, we rest our hope: let us never be put to shame. To You, O Lord Jesus Christ, be given all honour and glory in Your Holy Church. You live and reign with the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit: God, forever and ever. Amen.

September 29, 2023

+ Athanasius Schneider

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is it like in your parish? Diocese?

I just came across these instructions, on our diocesan website:

Pray for the Synod​

On October 4, 2023, the Holy Father, Pope Francis, will open the first session of the 16th Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod for Bishops, “For a Synodal Church, Communion, Participation, Mission.”

To commemorate this event and in prayerful support of it, all parishes are being asked to include the following at weekend Masses from October 1, 2023 to October 29, 2023:
  • Prayer for the Synod: The assembly should pray the “Prayer for the Synod” (The Adsumus Prayer) before the Opening Song at weekend Masses from October 1-29, 2023.
  • Universal Prayer: A petition for the Synod should be included each week in the Universal Prayers from October 1-29, 2023.
  • Special Solemn Blessing: A special Solemn Blessing is to be included at Mass on the Twenty-Sixth Sunday of Ordinary Time (September 30-October1, 2023) to commemorate the opening of the Synod.

So I looked up "The Adsumus Prayer". It is this:

We stand before You, Holy Spirit, as we gather together in Your name.
With You alone to guide us, make Yourself at home in our hearts;
Teach us the way we must go and how we are to pursue it.
We are weak and sinful; do not let us promote disorder.
Do not let ignorance lead us down the wrong path nor partiality influence our actions.
Let us find in You our unity so that we may journey together to eternal life and not stray from the way of truth and what is right.
All this we ask of You, who are at work in every place and time, in the communion of the Father and the Son, forever and ever.
Amen.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just came across these instructions, on our diocesan website:

Pray for the Synod​

On October 4, 2023, the Holy Father, Pope Francis, will open the first session of the 16th Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod for Bishops, “For a Synodal Church, Communion, Participation, Mission.”

To commemorate this event and in prayerful support of it, all parishes are being asked to include the following at weekend Masses from October 1, 2023 to October 29, 2023:
  • Prayer for the Synod: The assembly should pray the “Prayer for the Synod” (The Adsumus Prayer) before the Opening Song at weekend Masses from October 1-29, 2023.
  • Universal Prayer: A petition for the Synod should be included each week in the Universal Prayers from October 1-29, 2023.
  • Special Solemn Blessing: A special Solemn Blessing is to be included at Mass on the Twenty-Sixth Sunday of Ordinary Time (September 30-October1, 2023) to commemorate the opening of the Synod.

So I looked up "The Adsumus Prayer". It is this:

We stand before You, Holy Spirit, as we gather together in Your name.
With You alone to guide us, make Yourself at home in our hearts;
Teach us the way we must go and how we are to pursue it.
We are weak and sinful; do not let us promote disorder.
Do not let ignorance lead us down the wrong path nor partiality influence our actions.
Let us find in You our unity so that we may journey together to eternal life and not stray from the way of truth and what is right.
All this we ask of You, who are at work in every place and time, in the communion of the Father and the Son, forever and ever.
Amen.

I find that prayer ("Adsumus" - Latin for "We are here" [Google Translate]), sounds presumptuous - appealing to subjectivism - presuming a knowledge of divine purposes and direction (i.e. solid catechesis in Church Tradition) and true experience / relationship with the Guide the Holy Spirit (through possession of the supernatural Gifts of wisdom, knowledge, prudence, counsel, fortitude, fear, understanding).

Good to read: Recent from Card Burke; Synodality versus True Identity of the Church as Hierarchical Communion – Cardinal Raymond Burke

• Informative
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I find that prayer ("Adsumus" - Latin for "We are here" [Google Translate]), sounds presumptuous - appealing to subjectivism - presuming a knowledge of divine purposes and direction (i.e. solid catechesis in Church Tradition) and true experience / relationship with the Guide the Holy Spirit (through possession of the supernatural Gifts of wisdom, knowledge, prudence, counsel, fortitude, fear, understanding).

Good to read: Recent from Card Burke; Synodality versus True Identity of the Church as Hierarchical Communion – Cardinal Raymond Burke

I don't like the prayer either. I agree, it presumes alot. Lacks alot.

I imagine it was read aloud together at the progressive parish I had been visiting regularly for the late Sunday Mass.
That parish has the habit of someone (pastor?) 'making up' a prayer for all to stand and recite together before the Mass. Every Sunday.
After awhile, they change the prayer and replace it with a new one.
Just isn't a practice I like. Doesn't seem very sincere to me.

But I've backed off from visiting the progressive parish even though I love the late Mass time.
After about a month+ of it, I could feel myself becoming lukewarm about Communion, and starting to doubt the faith.
While the Church is very friendly, there is apparently a kind of worldly, lukewarm spirit there that was beginning to attach to me.
Can't explain it, but last Sunday I went to 7:30am Mass at a more traditional parish, and all was good.

... Same diocese, but, at the more traditional parish, they did not have us recite the Adsumus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw the video of the opening dance act at the Synod. Wow - even some of the most liberal churches I have seen don't come close to that kind of crazy. And I saw a video by a Catholic apologist that basically said - "Nope, I am not defending this stuff any longer". Has anyone else seen the opening act of the Synod?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,681,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw the video of the opening dance act at the Synod. Wow - even some of the most liberal churches I have seen don't come close to that kind of crazy. And I saw a video by a Catholic apologist that basically said - "Nope, I am not defending this stuff any longer". Has anyone else seen the opening act of the Synod?
!! No! Got a link?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,681,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You sure you did not fall for this?

Is this the video you saw?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,681,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find this concerning.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,681,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find this concerning.

Another head scratcher:

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Christian life is a battle each person must fight against the temptation to be self-sufficient and against a paganism disguised as sacredness, Pope Francis said in an introduction to a small book distributed to participants at the Synod on Synodality.

Such “spiritual worldliness,” he wrote, “though it be camouflaged with the appearance of the sacred, it ends up being idolatrous because it does not recognize the presence of God as Lord and liberator of our lives and of the history of the world. It leaves us prey to our capricious desires.”

The booklet contains two republished essays by the pope that are “united by the concern, which I feel to be a loud call from God to the entire Church, to remain vigilant and to fight with the strength of prayer against every concession to spiritual worldliness,” he wrote in the introduction.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't like the prayer either. I agree, it presumes alot. Lacks alot.

I imagine it was read aloud together at the progressive parish I had been visiting regularly for the late Sunday Mass.
That parish has the habit of someone (pastor?) 'making up' a prayer for all to stand and recite together before the Mass. Every Sunday.
After awhile, they change the prayer and replace it with a new one.
Just isn't a practice I like. Doesn't seem very sincere to me.

But I've backed off from visiting the progressive parish even though I love the late Mass time.
After about a month+ of it, I could feel myself becoming lukewarm about Communion, and starting to doubt the faith.
While the Church is very friendly, there is apparently a kind of worldly, lukewarm spirit there that was beginning to attach to me.
Can't explain it, but last Sunday I went to 7:30am Mass at a more traditional parish, and all was good.

... Same diocese, but, at the more traditional parish, they did not have us recite the Adsumus.
Any religious ceremony that includes contradictions is harmful to one's spiritual health. In God there is NO contradiction, and He desires for us a life in Him of no contradiction. But worldliness in priest and/or people gathered in the Mass - without conviction and repentance - indeed, with comfortable ease - what horrific contradiction! And as we know, conscience ignored the first time may be severe and redemptive. The second time, troublesome. The next time, not too bad. The next time, not so much. And "lukewarm" - aka lifeless, dead, abomination in the Holy Place - is normalized.
Rev 3:16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew [lit. "vomit"]you out of my mouth.​
Salvation history is replete with instances of "fallen natural" mixed in with "God-breathed LIFE: the supernatural." But thanks be to God, He is working still to bring about the worship that He requires: worship in spirit and truth.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You sure you did not fall for this?

Is this the video you saw?
Yes I saw that one. A relative I have that is very Trad/Latin and well studied/informed said it was real. Do you know otherwise?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,681,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I saw that one. A relative I have that is very Trad/Latin and well studied/informed said it was real. Do you know otherwise?
He is not so well informed in this case. I spent a good part of the morning researching it.

Read the Forbes article. It was a circus troupe performing for the pope several years ago. There was no dance performance at the beginning of the Synod.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Salvation history is replete with instances of "fallen natural" mixed in with "God-breathed LIFE: the supernatural." But thanks be to God, He is working still to bring about the worship that He requires: worship in spirit and truth.

Thanks be to God! He hasn't given up on us ...
:plus:

Upvote 0