Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday, I watched a video that doesn't seem to get out of my mind. So I hope that I can explain this thread best enough to get answers or thoughts on it.

Do you feel that your heart is too big? Its so big that it might actually scare someone off?

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Xtvj_JVSM

Last edited:
Reactions: penNpaper

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I think my problems scare people off more than anything, lol.

My caring for others gets me too involved sometimes and makes me feel almost too empathetic at times, especially when I was not close to them or something. I care, and that sometimes works against me.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The problem with my heart is that it's naive. It's caused me nothing but trouble, yet I'm dumb enough to keep listening to it so I guess I have no one to blame but myself.

I've been told that I have a very giving heart and spirit. So far people have managed to exploit and use that so I don't think it's much of a gift.^_^

Reactions: Rhye
Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I definitely think mine is too open.

And as far as men, I might scare them off. I don't do well on the whole guarding your heart thing and tend to just go for it. If that makes sense. And I do tend to get hurt more easily than some others because I'm so open sometimes...with men and people in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

penNpaper

Keep on moving
Nov 14, 2006
Youngstown
✟33,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Sometimes I fear it yes...but I rather be a gentleman and a kind-hearted spirit as well as be alone the rest of my life than to see msyelf to be a jocky self-centered man that isn't giving and serving the Lord.

God Bless,
Drew

Reactions: Thunder Peel
Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The problem with my heart is that it's naive. It's caused me nothing but trouble, yet I'm dumb enough to keep listening to it so I guess I have no one to blame but myself.

I've been told that I have a very giving heart and spirit. So far people have managed to exploit and use that so I don't think it's much of a gift.^_^

I would hope that you consider me a friend, so when I say this please do not think I'm being a jerk.

You don't deserve to believe any of the crap you've been saying lately about yourself. Even though I've only known you online, I've seen the beauty of your spirit and the wisdom you really have deep down in there. Don't let the enemy rob you of what is rightfully yours and given to you by God. You do not deserve that, Austin. (People here know your name, otherwise I wouldn't have said that) We all have moments of wallowing and feeling down because of where life - or our choices - have taken us, but please don't let those feelings become your anthem song.

You're a cool person. You're an attractive young man. You're wise, even in your youth. You have the potential to do great things for God.

Tell all the lies to shut the front door [paraphrased].

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
To answer the OP: No, I don't think my heart is too big. Most of the time, I think it's sufficient or not nearly big enough. I'm a jerk sometimes. Sometimes, I talk crap about other people when I think I'm just venting it out. Sometimes, I'm impatient with others. Sometimes, I simply think I can do more.

On the other hand, I do know that I'm very sensitive. It's not because I'm a woman either because I've known men who are equally as sensitive. But, I've seen things, read things or heard things that have made my heart just hurt. And sometimes, that's lead me down a depressive route, mentally. It is my faith that sustains me.

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday, I watched a video that doesn't seem to get out of my mind. So I hope that I can explain this thread best enough to get answers or thoughts on it.

Do you feel that your heart is too big? Its so big that it might actually scare someone off?

You should share the video.

To answer the question- no. I don't think my heart is too big. And no, I don't think it would scare someone off.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oi, I used to have this problem when I was younger; in that I would get attached easily and often cause myself a lot of heartache, and it sometimes happens still (or at least to some extent). I've learned how to detach myself from things, people, and relationships a little too easily these days unfortunately...

Which, in some parts of my line of work, is necessary. Would I want to go back to being the easily love stricken lad I once was? Nope. Do I hope that I don't become a bitter man with only discontent for society? Sure. Will I learn to keep myself attached to things a bit better so I'm not 'that' much of a jerk? I'm trying, haha, and there's a lot of things I need to reverse a bit; but, I'll probably need to keep my skills available to myself for future work purposes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is an amazing video. Thanks so much for sharing. :hug:

To answer your question. YES! I feel my heart is too big sometimes. I care about people. Sometimes a little too much and well it gets me in trouble. I hold on too tight to people. (mainly because I think they're gonna disappear like everyone does in my life) I scare people away maybe because my heart is too big. I don't really know....

If this even makes sense.:sorry:

Upvote 0

Sapphyre

pew pew pew
Mar 4, 2009
San Francisco
✟13,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but that's just the unfortunate way the world works. Everyone's jaded.

Everyone assumes I have ulterior motives when I do something kind. I've had guys quit talking to me completely after I did something nice for them, because they assumed I was trying to hit on them or something. I've had people get offended over the stupidest things.

It's just my nature to be kind and generous. I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything - because it's clearly a curse as well as a blessing. :p I've flip-flopped my whole life between being a total jerk and completely kind because of the ridiculous things people think.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No, my heart isn't too big.

More like this:

grinch.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have too big a heart...I trust too easily/quickly, and I give people chance after chance.

But, I don't see those as negative things about myself. They make me who I am. They also cause me to react quickly/strongly when I am hurt or offended because I do feel so strongly (passionately) and deeply. So, it is an on-going process to know how to reconcile the two and learn to be big-hearted and trusting/forgiving...in a cautiously smart way.

I'm still a work in progress. :) I have learned that being this way usually causes a person to love me or hate me. If they hate me...their loss.

Upvote 0

BigMat

Jan 4, 2011
New Mexico, USA
✟8,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The way that I interact with others is greatly influenced by my relationship with God. Over twelve years ago, when I began my close relationship with Him, the moment I felt safe and comfortable the relationship was all-out-as-deep-as-I-could-go. My relationship with God was my first true relationship with anyone and that instant depth of intimacy kind of influenced the way I perceive and pursue relationships with others. Initially, I have a very hard exterior, that I believe is necessary to protect myself, but once that exterior is breached, my tendency is to open up too much and reach too far too quickly. Over the years I've managed to tame that some but, it is far from being something that doesn't scare people away.

I've recently found someone who doesn't seem to mind me being that way and I am so thankful for that. It is such a relief to know that someone isn't going to run away or reject me when I end up being who I am.

As far as my heart being "too big" I guess that it is. I am selfless to my own detriment. I pay every day for choices I've made in the past to give all of myself to help others and put their needs before my own. On the other hand, if I had chosen differently, I not sure I could have lived with myself.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,169,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nope, I don't care about people too much, though I usually want the same returned.

Doesn't mean I don't feel bad for people and events, sometimes it really makes me depressed. Which is good too, but I don't know what to do with myself when those moments arise, and usually that is just an event that happened years ago so I guess I just enjoy the ride.

If someone throws the first punch I like to throw my first punch with 10 times the force or even a 100 times. Heck maybe it would even measure in the thousands. lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Explorer96

Feb 18, 2011
Flower Print Sofa
✟15,673.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That vide really described how i feel a lot of the time! and i definately think it scares people off sometimes, but thats really not my problem, its theirs. i be nice and they just shun me me. but ill still be nice to them. if they cant take kindness, then im really not sure where their heart is.

Upvote 0