Manchester
✟10,798.00
Country
Jamaica
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey there, I am 17 years old and I am a Jamaican. I have just watched a testimony on YouTube and this woman said God told her to throw away waist beads because it have a negative meaning. Me personally, I don’t wear waist beads but I was planning to in the future. I want to know if wearing Jamaican or Rasta coloured waist beads if it’s okay or not?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there, I am 17 years old and I am a Jamaican. I have just watched a testimony on YouTube and this woman said God told her to throw away waist beads because it have a negative meaning. Me personally, I don’t wear waist beads but I was planning to in the future. I want to know if wearing Jamaican or Rasta coloured waist beads if it’s okay or not?
No.

Upvote 0

shaul

Nov 27, 2022
Columbus
✟19,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I understand correctly, waist beads are usually worn with a bare midriff and they are traditionally worn by women as a symbol of waist size, beauty, sexuality, femininity, fertility, well-being, and maturity. Not sure if they is correct in Jamaican customs or not.

If this considered normal attire in Jamaica I don't see how wearing the beads could be considered sinful. It has more to do with why you wear them rather than actually wearing them.

In short, If it is not considered a cultural taboo and you are not wearing them to entice or to be seductive (except for your husband), it would not consider wearing them as sinful. The only reason I bring up cultural acceptance is that as Christians we should be setting good examples in our world.

Therefore, though the beads themselves (or any article of clothing or accessories) in and of themselves, may not be sinful, the purpose or motivation for wearing them could potentially be. You have to make the decision as to why you are wearing them. If it is not because you are trying to bring the wrong type of attention to yourself, If they are culturally acceptable, then I see no reason why they would be considered sinful in and of themselves.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is addressed in Romans 14:1-12

If the woman in the video thinks wearing the beads is sinful, then for her it's sin.

But that doesn't set a standard for others who don't consider it a sin.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In short, If it is not considered a cultural taboo and you are not wearing them to entice or to be seductive (except for your husband), it would not consider wearing them as sinful. The only reason I bring up cultural acceptance is that as Christians we should be setting good examples in our world.

I've always wondered about cultural taboo.

What about wearing a T-shirt that says "I love the Devil" or "The Devil is my God". I don't think wearing such T-shirt is taboo, not especially in these times. Can a Christian wear such things?

Upvote 0

Neliii_br

Apr 27, 2023
Manchester
✟10,798.00
Country
Jamaica
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I understand correctly, waist beads are usually worn with a bare midriff and they are traditionally worn by women as a symbol of waist size, beauty, sexuality, femininity, fertility, well-being, and maturity. Not sure if they is correct in Jamaican customs or not.

If this considered normal attire in Jamaica I don't see how wearing the beads could be considered sinful. It has more to do with why you wear them rather than actually wearing them.

Therefore, though the beads themselves (or any article of clothing or accessories) in and of themselves, may not be sinful, the purpose or motivation for wearing them could potentially be. You have to make the decision as to why you are wearing them. If it is not because you are trying to bring the wrong type of attention to yourself, If they are culturally acceptable, then I see no reason why they would be considered sinful in and of themselves.
This makes perfect sense, thank u :)

Reactions: shaul
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is addressed in Romans 14:1-12

If the woman in the video thinks wearing the beads is sinful, then for her it's sin.

But that doesn't set a standard for others who don't consider it a sin.

What if you wear something that has written on it "I love the Devil more than God" ?

In these times and age, such statements are culturally acceptable, especially in the West. What if a Christian does not consider it a sin, is it okay to wear such things?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if you wear something that has written on it "I love the Devil more than God" ?

In these times and age, such statements are culturally acceptable, especially in the West. What if a Christian does not consider it a sin, is it okay to wear such things?
No because most Christians would be offended by that. Paul was just talking about ordinary things.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No because most Christians would be offended by that. Paul was just talking about ordinary things.

I don't think Christians care anymore.

They only care if a close family member is involved. Else it's "mind your own business", "that's their problem, not ours", "We'll pray for you".:doh:

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

There are a lot of people out in the world who will claim God said this and God said that. If you pay attention long enough, you'll also notice how most of these same people will go on to try and tell others what they can do, and start creating all sorts of rules that people should follow in order to be "godly".

The Scriptures speak against this on many occasions.

There are things which are right and things which are wrong. Do not murder, do not worship false gods, do not steal, honor your parents, love your neighbor, love the Lord your God. These are things God says.

When it comes to what we eat, what we drink, what we wear, what music we listen to, and many other things, He has given us a conscience to follow.

"One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or fails. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.
" - Romans 14:2-6

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Neliii_br
Upvote 0

Neliii_br

Apr 27, 2023
Manchester
✟10,798.00
Country
Jamaica
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are a lot of people out in the world who will claim God said this and God said that. If you pay attention long enough, you'll also notice how most of these same people will go on to try and tell others what they can do, and start creating all sorts of rules that people should follow in order to be "godly".

The Scriptures speak against this on many occasions.

There are things which are right and things which are wrong. Do not murder, do not worship false gods, do not steal, honor your parents, love your neighbor, love the Lord your God. These are things God says.

When it comes to what we eat, what we drink, what we wear, what music we listen to, and many other things, He has given us a conscience to follow.

"One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or fails. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.
" - Romans 14:2-6

-CryptoLutheran
Thank you very much

Upvote 0

shaul

Nov 27, 2022
Columbus
✟19,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've always wondered about cultural taboo.

What about wearing a T-shirt that says "I love the Devil" or "The Devil is my God". I don't think wearing such T-shirt is taboo, not especially in these times. Can a Christian wear such things?
That would be a totally different scenario since you are directly embracing and declaring allegiance to the enemy of God's Word, his will, and his people. I have never read that "your enemy, the waist beads, walks about seeking whom it may devour!" :)

Cultures differ in different countries. What may be offensive to one culture may not be to another.
For instance, in the United States, you may think you have something on the bottom of your shoe and raise your shoe up so it is directly in the line of sight of others. We would not think anything of it. but in the Middle East and in many Asian countries it is considered offensive and a sign of disrespect.

Most of us in the Western World don't think twice about entering the homes of other with our shoes on. In other countries, this can be taken as a sign of disrespect.

Shorts are accepted in most Western nations but not in the Middle East. Doesn't make shorts sinful, but it is considered a taboo in many Muslim countries.

Headdresses in Africa are common, but not in the United States unless you are an American Indian dressing for a ceremony.

That's what I am referring to. The poster lives in Jamaica. Customs are different. Just because your country or region has different customs does not make it sinful.

One particular incident I recall well was a good Pastor friend of mine whose wife grew up on the Bayous of Louisiana. She used to kiss everyone on the cheek as was the custom in Cajun Country. You should have heard some of the comical statements some other made about her and her moral turpitude. To her it was a formal way to say "Hello" with warmth and respect. To them it was a sign of a desire to be overtly flirtatious. To me it was humorous and gave me a chance to explain differences in cultures, even within the same Country.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That would be a totally different scenario since you are directly embracing and declaring allegiance to the enemy of God's Word, his will, and his people. I have never read that "your enemy, the waist beads, walks about seeking whom it may devour!" :)

Cultures differ in different countries. What may be offensive to one culture may not be to another.
For instance, in the United States, you may think you have something on the bottom of your shoe and raise your shoe up so it is directly in the line of sight of others. We would not think anything of it. but in the Middle East and in many Asian countries it is considered offensive and a sign of disrespect.

Most of us in the Western World don't think twice about entering the homes of other with our shoes on. In other countries, this can be taken as a sign of disrespect.

Shorts are accepted in most Western nations but not in the Middle East. Doesn't make shorts sinful, but it is considered a taboo in many Muslim countries.

Headdresses in Africa are common, but not in the United States unless you are an American Indian dressing for a ceremony.

That's what I am referring to. The poster lives in Jamaica. Customs are different. Just because your country or region has different customs does not make it sinful.

One particular incident I recall well was a good Pastor friend of mine whose wife grew up on the Bayous of Louisiana. She used to kiss everyone on the cheek as was the custom in Cajun Country. You should have heard some of the comical statements some other made about her and her moral turpitude. To her it was a formal way to say "Hello" with warmth and respect. To them it was a sign of a desire to be overtly flirtatious. To me it was humorous and gave me a chance to explain differences in cultures, even within the same Country.

This. 100%.

Even in my own American culture there are things that I would do with very close friends that I wouldn't do with strangers.

So many things are context-sensitive. And the guiding principle is that we love others, be respectful, that we demonstrate the love of God toward other people. Attempting to force certain "rules" which God never commanded is simply moralism. Moralism is just another kind of legalism. It's just another way to say "don't touch, don't taste" as Paul says in Colossians ch. 2. It's pretend righteousness, pretend holiness. It is just the appearance of religion, but that's all it is: appearance.

God doesn't want us to fake it to make it. He wants us to actually be transformed, renewed, and conformed to Jesus. He wants genuine repentance. He wants genuine contrition. He wants us to be honest and real, about ourselves as sinners, and about others as neighbors whom we are to love.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums