Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Although there were obviously no presidents in the New Testament times, Paul's letter to Timothy describes the qualities that an overseer of a church should have...

"This is a trustworthy saying: If anyone aspires to be an overseer, he desires a noble task. An overseer,then, must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable,hospitable, able to teach, not dependent on wine, not violent but gentle, peaceable, and free of the love of money. He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same condemnation as the devil..." (Sorry, I can't change the text color)

Trump is not above reproach -- he has been sued literally thousands of times.

Trump has not been the husband of one wife -- he has been married three times and has confessed to many affairs.

Trump is most definitely not temperate -- (moderate or self-restrained; not extreme in opinion, statement, etc.) He is, in fact, just the opposite.

Trump is not gentle or peaceable but violent.

Trump is the best example of someone who obsessed with the love of money.

Trump is a recent convert (for political expediency), according to most sources.

Trump is certainly conceited. In fact he is the most conceited person most people have ever seen. Many refer to him as a narcissist. Narcissism: Excessive preoccupation with or admiration of oneself. A personality disorder characterized by self-preoccupation, need for admiration, lack of empathy...

If Trump wouldn't even qualify to be the leader of a small church, he is most definitely, by his character and behavior, not qualified to be President.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ummmm.......

Trump is not attempting to be an overseer of a church.

Is he?

On another note, speaking of presidential candidates, are you voting for Hillary Clinton? When you think of "character" and "behavior" or the lack thereof, "Trump" comes to mind?

Just wondering, after i read the last sentence of your post:
If Trump wouldn't even qualify to be the leader of a small church, he is most definitely, by his character and behavior, not qualified to be President.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Although there were obviously no presidents in the New Testament times, Paul's letter to Timothy describes the qualities that an overseer of a church should have...

"This is a trustworthy saying: If anyone aspires to be an overseer, he desires a noble task. An overseer,then, must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable,hospitable, able to teach, not dependent on wine, not violent but gentle, peaceable, and free of the love of money. He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same condemnation as the devil..." (Sorry, I can't change the text color)

Trump is not above reproach -- he has been sued literally thousands of times.

Trump has not been the husband of one wife -- he has been married three times and has confessed to many affairs.

Trump is most definitely not temperate -- (moderate or self-restrained; not extreme in opinion, statement, etc.) He is, in fact, just the opposite.

Trump is not gentle or peaceable but violent.

Trump is the best example of someone who obsessed with the love of money.

Trump is a recent convert (for political expediency), according to most sources.

Trump is certainly conceited. In fact he is the most conceited person most people have ever seen. Many refer to him as a narcissist. Narcissism: Excessive preoccupation with or admiration of oneself. A personality disorder characterized by self-preoccupation, need for admiration, lack of empathy...

Almost none of that ^ is accurate, but I'd recommend that you not call Mr. Trump to the pulpit of your church if you really feel this way. He's running for president, you know, not for pastor.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures referenced only apply to the leaders of a church. The bible makes absolutely clear that leaders of nations have their positions because God allowed it and has ordained it to be so. If Trump is elected and becomes the next president of the United States, it would have been so because God has allowed it. Scripture also makes absolutely clear that we should pray for our leaders.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The scriptures referenced only apply to the leaders of a church. The bible makes absolutely clear that leaders of nations have their positions because God allowed it and has ordained it to be so. If Trump is elected and becomes the next president of the United States, it would have been so because God has allowed it. Scripture also makes absolutely clear that we should pray for our leaders.

Exactly.

Amen.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The above responses miss the point entirely. Of course Trump is not attempting to be an overseer of a church, but Paul is describing qualifications to be a leader. Trump exhibits just the opposite of those qualities. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Reactions: jazzflower92
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The above responses miss the point entirely. Of course Trump is not attempting to be an overseer of a church, but Paul is describing qualifications to be a leader. Trump exhibits just the opposite of those qualities. Why is that so difficult to understand?
It's not. Your characterization of Trump, which however was woefully inaccurate, really should be the focus, as you say--especially if we want to have a theocracy instead of the form of government we've known in this country. Is it?

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

BadHabit

Does not play well with others
Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No, Trump most certainly is NOT qualified to be POTUS. Neither is any one else. We all like to play armchair general and pretend we know how to run things in the US, but none of us is qualified either. Scary to think some person you don't know, whose mental health is a mystery, is going to be the CEO of America, innit?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No, Trump most certainly is NOT qualified to be POTUS. Neither is any one else. We all like to play armchair general and pretend we know how to run things in the US, but none of us is qualified either. Scary to think some person you don't know, whose mental health is a mystery, is going to be the CEO of America, innit?

In the meantime, election looms ever-closer. my friend.

What to do? what to do?

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Read post #2.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it would help everyone here if you'd point us to the perfect example of a presidential candidate or former president.

Upvote 0

BadHabit

Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe it would help everyone here if you'd point us to the perfect example of a presidential candidate or former president.

Oh boy, I hope someone takes that challenge. That'll really get this thread hopping. LOL. I'm sure the conversation would be completely rational and polite too. HAHAHAHAHA.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As Brinny has repeatedly said, we face an election. St. Francis of Assisi is not running. Are we to sit on our hands because all the candidates--as in previous elections--are not perfect?

(By the way, Francis of Assisi was sometimes indecisive, so he probably wouldn't do, either.)

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
For shame! Go wash your hands for suggesting such a thing!

ROFLOLOL!!!!

25r30wi.gif

(i did, but she didn't go away)

Upvote 0

BadHabit

Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm sorry, but if you'd like to ask me which current candidate, if any I am voting for, please ask me directly. I don't do the whole "i'm being subtle and dropping hints to make you give up your position" routine. I'm quite aware an election is looming. I'm out of touch with the world, but I am aware of this fact as shut off from society as I am.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm sorry, but if you'd like to ask me which current candidate, if any I am voting for, please ask me directly. I don't do the whole "i'm being subtle and dropping hints to make you give up your position" routine. I'm quite aware an election is looming. I'm out of touch with the world, but I am aware of this fact as shut off from society as I am.

Fair enough.

Are you voting for Hillary Clinton?

(and i'm sorry if you're shut off from society....everything ok?)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If God ordains the world leaders, why then are we arguing over who we will elect?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God ordains the world leaders, why then are we arguing over who we will elect?
If it is not within God’s will for someone to rule a nation, He will not allow that person to rule.

Upvote 0