• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is touching a dead body wrong/a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is not a sin to touch a dead body. There were sanitation laws that the Old Testiment had in place that were necessary especially when one did not know the cause of death. (BTW, it is unwise to touch any dead animal or person if you do not know the cause of death and it is advised that if you must that you were very very good gloves and a mask.)

In the Orthodox Faith we do not usually use embalming and have our funerals within 24 hours of the death. We touch the person, we kiss the back of their hands, family and close ones might kiss their cheek or forehead. This is not a "requirement" but it is not forbidden either.

When my grandmother died, I was the one who carefully applied her make up the way she liked to wear it. (Though the funeral home washed her body and hair and dried her hair). My mother arranged her hair the way she liked to wear it instead of the way the funeral home had it. We also put her jewlery on as she always wore three or four necklaces plus a pin and about four rings an a bracelet and watch. (These things were removed before she was buried but for the funeral she was dressed fully in the way she would have wanted to be.)

It was a nice moment when my mother and I did these things for my grandmother. We talked about how much we were going to miss her and how we really wanted her to look "herself" for the funeral. It also meant a lot to the people who came to the funeral as so many of them (I think everyone) said that it was so nice to see her as she normally looked as they had seen her in the hospital or nursing home not really looking like herself.

They kept commenting on how amazing it was that the funeral home was able to get her to look so much like herself.

(My grandmother is not Orthodox, she was embalmed).

But at most Orthodox funerals the person looks natural, they just also look dead, and they look a bit more dead I guess than my grandmother did. But to me, it is the way it should be.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.