Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=13380

All Hate, All the Time

By Michael Goodwin
New York Daily News | May 17, 2004

The United States "is on the slippery slope to theocratic fascism." "The Catholic Church has been secretly encouraging oral sex for years." Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld "ought to be tortured." President Bush should be taken out and shot.

Those are a few nutso nuggets from the hosts of Air America Radio, which calls itself the new liberal voice. The fledgling network is carried in New York on WLIB, 1190 AM. With the Iraq torture scandal everywhere, I tuned in, expecting to hear sober policy analysis mixed with glee over President Bush's political pickle.

Instead, I got 10 hours of rancid venom directed at the President, Rumsfeld, Rush Limbaugh, the Catholic Church and anyone else the hosts felt like slamming. If you're a card-carrying lib who likes crude sex jokes and a cartoonish echo chamber, Air America is for you.

Take one host's linking the talk of "pulling out" the troops with the claim that "that's what the Catholic Church says about premarital sex." Ha, ha.

The network aims to give Dems a media organization to counter Limbaugh and others on the right who dominate talk radio. (What, National Public Radio and The New York Times aren't enough?)

The signing of comedian and best-selling author Al Franken gave Air America a liberal drawing card. But if his three-hour show on Monday was typical, he could sink the ship instead of saving it.

Two attempts at humor were offensive. In his "oy, oy show," set to Israeli music, a sidekick reads news reports - in this case, the murder of the Russian-backed president of Chechnya. Franken's role is to pipe up with a lighthearted "oy, oy, oy." Yep, nothing tickles the ribs like assassination.

Franken also imitated a priest giving Communion, saying "Body of Christ" when an imagined pedophile priest was in line but "not for you" when pro-choice politicians came up.

There's more than the clip I've posted. The story was first run in the New York Daily News; I first saw it on FrontPage.com.

So, what's the deal here? I've never listened to Rush Limbaugh, but I do read the transcripts available on his website. I went to Air America's site hoping to find some transcripts, but there don't appear to be any posted. But if the stuff in the column above is typical of what Air America is all about, why exactly does anyone with more than two functioning brain cells want to listen to this garbage?

I've never read anything on Limbaugh's site that was even remotely as offensive as what Franken and Rhodes are saying. I've heard plenty of quotes about Limbaugh (Skull & Bones being the most recent one) taken out of context, but how exactly does one take the above slurs against the Catholic Church out of context? What context could possibly justify these?

And here the most important question: Do you liberals really think that 10 hours a day of rancid hate is going to be a smashing success? And don't point at Limbaugh's success, either; he is nowhere near the level of vitriol and venom spewed by Franken and his cohorts.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[/quote]I've never read anything on Limbaugh's site that was even remotely as offensive as what Franken and Rhodes are saying. I've heard plenty of quotes about Limbaugh (Skull & Bones being the most recent one) taken out of context, but how exactly does one take the above slurs against the Catholic Church out of context? What context could possibly justify these?

And here the most important question: Do you liberals really think that 10 hours a day of rancid hate is going to be a smashing success? And don't point at Limbaugh's success, either; he is nowhere near the level of vitriol and venom spewed by Franken and his cohorts.[/QUOTE]
The left believes anything that goes against their party line is offensive.
I was hoping Al Franken would be what every other liberal talk show tried to be.
A hit.
Very few people want to here that kind of trash daily. Their opposition makes the trash talk funny, and offers a different viewpoint and explains their position.

I haven't heard Franken but others just complain, insult and whine about what is going on. They don't offer a better suggestion, just complaints about what is wrong.
So any libs out there, tell your entertainers they have to be entertaining not just political commentators. We have enough of these on national news.

Can't wait for Gore network, can it possibly make it?:yawn:

Upvote 0

Existential1

Jan 2, 2004
Caputh, Perthshire
✟2,128.00
Faith
I think what this article does, is indicate that the term "liberal" has become meaningless in USA culture and discourse: misused as a cudgel of abuse, for so many uses, in so many conexts, with so many connotations; it is now counterproductive to make use of it.
The radio stream as described sounds crassly irelevant. Iconoclasm directed at the sacred cows of the current USA establishment, and that of the world order, is urgently required: to free the minds and hearts of the young; and give them cause to have interest in politics. This stream does not seem to begin to do that: counter culture is a serious art and activism; pirate copies serve noone.
So, what will those who need a daily fix of liberal-bashing now do: no term, no reference, no bashing; viltriol in the prophylactic of a closed mind, is never intercourse with the world.

So the article gives rise to two public health warnings:
Body swerve this radio stream.
Body swerve those who would use its crassness as opportunity to engage in a bit of good old liberlal bashing.
Whatever a liberal is anyway.

Upvote 0

opus_dei

Ecce Panis Angelorum
Feb 25, 2004
✟15,653.00
Faith
Catholic
as a conservative, i'd love to see an effective liberal counterweight on the radio. i think that discussion of issues from many sides leads hopefully to better understanding by all. however, it does need to be "intelligent" discussion. there are many, many smart liberal voices out there. there is some guy in up in the twin cities (i forget his name) that is supposed to be fantastic.

when you use a comedian (and i use that term loosely) as your premier anchor, you're bound to run into trouble.

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sociopath4Jesus said:
Not sure how a few jokes about Catholic priests equate to "ten hours a day of rancid hate."

Try reading the article; I quoted enough of it to make the point clear. The reporter who listened to it described it that way.

And 'a few jokes' doesn't cover the gross obscenity that was being spewed about the Catholic Church. If I made similar misstatements about Islam or gays on this board, I'd be pilloried by the leftists.

Upvote 0

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
Since when is the church above the reach of public comment or even satire and parody? The church doesn not and should not have special treatment. They are as ripe a target for parody as anyother. I really get fed up with the religiously correct people complaining about someone critizing the church. They are worse than the polictically correct that the same folks complain about.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They may be crass on Air America.

However - if you have ever listened to even a few minutes of Michael Medved, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, and all the rest of the arrogant, rude, angry right wing, you'd find the same kind of thing...only more of it. (of course, not directed at the catholic church or the current administration - but the same tripe is there)

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Chuck_Darwin said:
Since when is the church above the reach of public comment or even satire and parody? The church doesn not and should not have special treatment. They are as ripe a target for parody as anyother. I really get fed up with the religiously correct people complaining about someone critizing the church. They are worse than the polictically correct that the same folks complain about.

Yes - AND the church leadership has actively engaged in cover-ups of sexual misconduct. So they have basically brought this upon themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Borealis said:
The reporter who listened to it described it that way.

Uh no, that was your summation: "ten hours a day of rancid hate." And you probably haven't listened to a minute of it yourself.

Still, I'm afraid I don't see how a few jokes about Catholic priests (which assumedly received as much play on Jay Leno and elsewhere) equate to "ten hours a day of rancid hate." Bit of an overreaction on your part, I'd reckon.

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chuck_Darwin said:
I agree. There is no reason to fake respect for institutions that don't earn our respect. I can see where some would be personally offended, sure, but I don't see where this is really any worse than any other parody or satire or joking in general.

Hell, I think an honest Catholic might get a good laugh out of it. The Catholic Church has seriously FUBARed, some humor is probably needed.

I surely don't see where is this any worse than any garbage coming from the right, either. This kid of stuff represents liberalism in general as much as Limbaugh represents conservatism in general. So to answer your title question: Yes, but not what most stand for.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
chalice_thunder said:
They may be crass on Air America.

However - if you have ever listened to even a few minutes of Michael Medved, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, and all the rest of the arrogant, rude, angry right wing, you'd find the same kind of thing...only more of it. (of course, not directed at the catholic church or the current administration - but the same tripe is there)

I have never listened to Sean Hannity on the radio but on TV he is down right rude. If you are not espousing a postion he likes then he cuts you off and attempts to talk over you. Bill O'Reilly is slighty better in that department but not a whole lot.

Also the difference here, while I have not listened to either side on radio, Al Franken is a comdeian he is going to say things that are on the edge, it is meant to be not just informative but entertaining which I think the OP is seems to be missing.

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
ZaraDurden said:
Hell, I think an honest Catholic might get a good laugh out of it. The Catholic Church has seriously FUBARed, some humor is probably needed.

Then you've never met an honest Catholic in your life, because no Catholic is going to laugh at that. The ones that do are Catholics in name only. The Catholic church has not FUBARed, as you so eloquently put it. Some priests in Boston did, and the local Bishop (or Cardinal; I forget which) took some well-deserved scorching for not stopping it.

I surely don't see where is this any worse than any garbage coming from the right, either. This kid of stuff represents liberalism in general as much as Limbaugh represents conservatism in general. So to answer your title question: No.

So you paint the entire Church based on a problem in Massachusetts, just as Al Franken did on his broadcast, and then say that it doesn't represent the general liberal mentality.

Fair enough. So going by your standard, I shall use Andrea Yates as the representative of what the National Organization of Women stands for: murdering children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As usual, they can dish it out, but they can't take it. They spent 40 million dollars trying to hang the Clintons out to dry on some trumped up garbage and screaming about how terrible they were, only to find out, they did nothing wrong. How much money did they spend apologizing for their actions? Zero.

When the shrub lies about Iraq and Al Queda, where are the special prosecutors to try him for treason? He sent out troops to risk thier lives for a known lie and that doesn't bother any of the conservatives. His whole administration have fumbled, bumbled and lied their way through the last 3.5 years and no one is leading a 40 million dollar investigation into malfeasance of office. Strange isn't it? Those conservatives who hated Bill Clinton for being so "immoral" evidently don't see awarding your buddies billions in secret contracts with no outside bids as "immoral", they don't see lying to the congress as "immoral", nor is lying to the UN seen as "immoral", evidently the only morals they seem tobe concerned about are sexual morals. Lying, stealing, and treason don't even raise an eyebrow. Says a lot about those right wingers who are supposedly so "moral" doesn't it?

Funny thing, only the Liberals think this is immoral.

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I am an honest Catholic and I welcome a degree of criticism of the Catholic Church. I do not think Franken is generally particually funny, to be honest, nor particularly accurate at all times. But I am not among his fans in most matters, so it comes as no surprise to me that I am not a fan of his in this matter. However, I do not want the church (or any other organization) to be an unchecked monolith. If that means allowing Frankens to have a jab at the Church, so be it.

(Also, some church jokes are pretty funny ^_^ )

Upvote 0

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
Borealis said:
Fair enough. So going by your standard, I shall use Andrea Yates as the representative of what the National Organization of Women stands for: murdering children.
Andrea Yates was a fundimentalist christian. I doubt you can use here as a NOW parody. If you want to use her as a spokesperson try fundimentalist.

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Borealis said:
Then you've never met an honest Catholic in your life, because no Catholic is going to laugh at that. The ones that do are Catholics in name only. The Catholic church has not FUBARed, as you so eloquently put it. Some priests in Boston did, and the local Bishop (or Cardinal; I forget which) took some well-deserved scorching for not stopping it.
Actually, I was a Catholic for 18 years and I know lots of Catholics who think the church deserves the criticisms and jokes made of it. I am not blaming the church for the molestations, but I am blaming it for covering them up, because that directive came from above (no puns intended). And it was not an isolated incident as you are making it out to be, thousands of people have come forward. Thousands.
So you paint the entire Church based on a problem in Massachusetts, just as Al Franken did on his broadcast, and then say that it doesn't represent the general liberal mentality.
I painted the Church (meaning church leadership) as having messed up seriously by trying to cover this scandal up. I don't know anyone who would disagree with that.

I said nothing about Catholics in general, or their actions. When talking about Church decisions and actions, we are not talking about the people. My whole family and most of my community is Catholic, and I am surely no enemy of Catholics.

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lillithspeak said:
As usual, they can dish it out, but they can't take it. They spent 40 million dollars trying to hang the Clintons out to dry on some trumped up garbage and screaming about how terrible they were, only to find out, they did nothing wrong. How much money did they spend apologizing for their actions? Zero...
Wow, these are such great points. Yes, the Grand Old Party spent a whopping 40 million investigating the Lewinsky Scandal. Clinton lied about it and was wrong.

And how much has been spent investigating the election events in FL in 2000 which is infinately more important? Hmm... I'm not sure, but I am sure that the FL Supreme Court voted 5-4 (across Party lines) to stop the final recount because it might "damage GW's rep as Pres". What a joke. The GOP might have saved little Bush there, but they couldn't save him from himself.

But you know what the hell happens when you spend 40 mil and all kinds of time worrying about unimportant **** like the Pres cheating on his wife? The real monsters slip under tha radar and into office.:sick:

Upvote 0