• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this normal to Asperger's?

personone

Sep 17, 2010
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey.

I'm constantly obsessing about minor things like a certain movie, or fragrances, or a video game, to the point where it interrupts the day to day. Been going on for a long time but I've had enough of it.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

I'm thinking it has something to do with vanity. The same thing as overeating, you know?

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
hi personone,
Welcome to CF.

Yes we do obsess. Ya, its hard when it gets to the point of causing problems thru the day. I probably lost a job because of my obsessions a few years ago.
The way I try to deal with it is to have several obsession including ones that help me at work. Like really learning a lot about my field. Having people, like in people watching, can really be beneficial at times.
I'm not sure we can totally get away from our obsessions, so one has to find a way to make them work for us not against us.

that's my best thought son the topic.
dayhiker

Upvote 0

personone

Sep 17, 2010
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm starting to wonder where the distinction is. Where it becomes a bad thing, etc... I think obsessing can intrude upon Peter's admonition to be "clear minded and self-controlled". If you're a gearhead for your job, then fine, but if it causes you your job, that's a different matter altogether.

Upvote 0

C-Man

Apr 12, 2010
Texas
✟9,173.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm starting to wonder where the distinction is. Where it becomes a bad thing, etc... I think obsessing can intrude upon Peter's admonition to be "clear minded and self-controlled". If you're a gearhead for your job, then fine, but if it causes you your job, that's a different matter altogether.
I wish I was a mechanic for a living, but the market in Houston is so watered-down, there are no jobs anywhere. And if you do get one, they pay you peanuts. Same with computers. :(
As it stands now, I make more(not saying much) working in a meat locker, plus there are very few people that require my attention. :3

As Aspies, we're not likely to escape our obsessions. If they're unsuitable for making a living, then the best we can do is regulate them, turn them into hobbies, charity work, etc.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟978,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me, I have bouts of obsession that end when there's closure. As others have pointed out, all you can really do is redirect them constructively. Someone who is in this mode continuously is usually dx'd with OCD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mrsbentine

May 26, 2010
Visit site
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.. I HAVE to be able to get onto the computer online and spend too much time but this may just be something else. I get obsessed with many things. I tend to research topics to death and then move on to the next. I am VERY obsessed with photography
as well as my new found interest in my aspergers being I am knew to the diagnosis..

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So do I, although at least some of the obsessions listed by others on this thread are actually useful. Mine are hopeless. If anyone can think of a single job with little people-interaction required where obsession with lyrical fantasy - of all things to be obsessed with, it had to be something this weird! - is a bonus...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟978,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:idea: Maybe one of your previous obsessions remains practical. You know, something you researched to death and moved on from. You should be somewhat of a guru in those areas...
118925-albums3668-34673t.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums