Is there truth to be found in the Faith Gospel?

KingdomHeart♥

Jesus is Lord
Jul 10, 2011
Limerick
✟15,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey Family, I'm facing a little crisis of faith (if you can call it that) at the minute and I would like some light shed on my situation.

I have a deeply beloved sister in the Lord who is ill at the moment. She is an elderly lady from my church who was diagnosed with MS in her mid-twenties. She's been wheelchair bound most her life now and has lost basically all the motor skills she needs to function independently, so she depends on the assistance of a helper all the time. Recently, we were hit with the news that she now has breast cancer in both breasts and because of her fatigue state, the doctors say there is a great possibility she may die on the table if she goes for the operation to remove it.

Here's my problem; I believe that in this fallen world, we all go through some form of sickness or other and death. I don't agree that just because you're a new creation in Christ, you are some how exempt from suffering. However, when I was praying the other day I asked the Lord to heal my friend because she will die either way if does not. Then as I though about why He heals some and not others, I thought about His earthly mission and the multitudes He healed and it dawned on me; there is no occurrence (that i know of) in the Gospels where Jesus didn't heal those who came to Him. He never said to a sick person "it is the Fathers will that you remain ill so that He will be glorified in your suffering". But that's what some people say in the church when we ask why God doesn't heal.

Jesus said He came to do the Will of His Father and He never turned a sick person away. So my question is, are we limiting God when we pray for our sick loved ones? Are we like waves that are being thrown around in the sea; asking for healing but doubting it will come?? I prayed for a friend a few months back who had a blood disease. I don't know where it came from, but this faith bubbled up inside of me and I began to really believe that God was at the moment in time working as we prayed and she was totally healed the following week.

I don't believe that our faith works when we have lots of it but I do believe when our faith is great in God's Faithfulness, He moves in mighty ways.

Opinions? And please keep my friend in prayer. Her name is Hazel.

God bless

Last edited:

sedg

Jul 4, 2006
Tyler,Tx
Visit site
✟8,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
KingdomHeart♥;58362210 said:
Hey Family, I'm facing a little crisis of faith (if you can call it that) at the minute and I would like some light shed on my situation.

I have a deeply beloved sister in the Lord who is ill at the moment. She is an elderly lady from my church who was diagnosed with MS in her mid-twenties. She's been wheelchair bound most her life now and has lost basically all the motor skills she needs to function independently, so she depends on the assistance of a helper all the time. Recently, we were hit with the news that she now has breast cancer in both breasts and because of her fatigue state, the doctors say there is a great possibility she may die on the table if she goes for the operation to remove it.

Here's my problem; I believe that in this fallen world, we all go through some form of sickness or other and death. I don't agree that just because you're a new creation in Christ, you are some how exempt from suffering. However, when I was praying the other day I asked the Lord to heal my friend because she will die either way if does not. Then as I though about why He heals some and not others, I thought about His earthly mission and the multitudes He healed and it dawned on me; there is no occurrence (that i know of) in the Gospels where Jesus didn't heal those who came to Him. He never said to a sick person "it is the Fathers will that you remain ill so that He will be glorified in your suffering". But that's what some people say in the church when we ask why God doesn't heal.

Jesus said He came to do the Will of His Father and He never turned a sick person away. So my question is, are we limiting God when we pray for our sick loved ones? Are we like waves that are being thrown around in the sea; asking for healing but doubting it will come?? I prayed for a friend a few months back who had a blood disease. I don't know where it came from, but this faith bubbled up inside of me and I began to really believe that God was at the moment in time working as we prayed and she was totally healed the following week.

I don't believe that our faith works when we have lots of it but I do believe when our faith is great in God's Faithfulness, He moves in mighty ways.

Opinions? And please keep my friend in prayer. Her name is Hazel.

God bless

Hi there, it's been awhile since you posted this. However, I'm going to list just a few verses in regards to biblical faith as it might help someone.

Alot of these verses are quotes straight from our Lord Jesus Christ in regards to having faith....this is just a very small list of verses and they should all be read in context.

Matt 9:29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

Mar 5:34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

Luke 17:19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.

Luke 18:42 And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee.

Matt 9:22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

Matt 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Matt 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
What helps me with this struggle -- I think we all go through this thought process -- is to see why Jesus healed. You spoke of faith welling up in you. Notice how concern preceded that.

I don't think healings always happen when people set out to make sure healings happen. It's important that we set our hearts in the right place, where we wish well for the person and really care about them. Even medical centers recognize how valuable human concern is for a person's health.

Matthew 20:34

Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him.

Mark 1:41

Moved with compassion, Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, and said* to him, "I am willing; be cleansed."

Mark 6:34

When Jesus went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and
He felt compassion for them because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and He began to teach them many things.
If we express true concern, and the healing doesn't happen, then the person at least knows that someone cared enough to try. Sometimes they see the conversation as a Godsend.

Life on earth is full of struggles and pain -- for some more than others -- so some people would prefer to move on.

Upvote 0

1Prophetess

Amazing Grace, How Sweet You Are Lord Jesus!
Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was listening a tape recently on h ealing, and the teacher said that Jesus paid for our healing 2,000 years ago. He said "It is finished," and healing was finished. So we should not pray for healing. I think he meant that we should pray for the manifestation of healing.

He also said it takes three to get a healing:

1. God (who is always willing)
2. The person praying
3. The person to be healed

He spoke of his mother in law who was healed of cancer. Several years later, she discovered a letter that showed her husband had been unfaithful. She got cancer very shortly after that. She died.

He said that his mother in law was not willing to live. Her will to be healed was not there.

To make a long story short, I prayed for my son's healing. But he told me he didn't want to be here on earth any longer. He died.

I have prayed for your friend Hazel. Since you apparently have the gift of faith to pray for healing, please also pray for my younger son, Nathan, who is horribly missing his brother and is depressed and doesn't seem to want to participate in life. Thanks.

Reactions: Habakk
Upvote 0

Thusia Zao

Living Sacrifice
Dec 1, 2011
California
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith goes beyond believing God will heal someone especially a brother and sister in Christ but believing that whatever God decides is what is best for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

There is no doubt that Jesus would heal anyone who comes to Him. He did so in the past because it was God's will at the time to show Jesus' authority and power. But today it is different. The Will of the Father is different and we can only have faith in that God is all-knowing and His plan is far greater than our imagination and cognition. Our hope shall remain in that we shall go home soon - to a place with no more suffering.

Upvote 0

Echetus

Aug 21, 2008
✟731.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I understand how hard this must be for you. My Grandmother died of throat cancer. But I can rejoice knowing that everyone I lose in this World is going to Heaven, and that I will be reunited with them. Dont accept death over everlasting life. I believe that Hazel will be exalted(high) in the Kingdom of Heaven for her suffering. Tragic although it may be, God has a perfect plan for her. The meaning of the Faith Gospel I believe to be a matter of success, not healing. The fundamental to success is to try with faith. "You can move mountains if you have enough faith." Every person who is rich is rich because they had the faith to attempt an income generator.

Upvote 0

1Prophetess

Amazing Grace, How Sweet You Are Lord Jesus!
Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Faith goes beyond believing God will heal someone especially a brother and sister in Christ but believing that whatever God decides is what is best for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

There is no doubt that Jesus would heal anyone who comes to Him. He did so in the past because it was God's will at the time to show Jesus' authority and power. But today it is different. The Will of the Father is different and we can only have faith in that God is all-knowing and His plan is far greater than our imagination and cognition. Our hope shall remain in that we shall go home soon - to a place with no more suffering.

Faith is believing those things that are not as though they were. Faith is believing then receiving according to Hebrews 1.

All the promises of God are yes and amen.

If God doesn't heal, it surely isn't His fault. Jesus said, "I am willing...."

It is us who are not.

Reactions: Habakk
Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone of those people Jesus healed later died of SOMETHING. The Kingdom of God was breaking into history at Christ's time and I believe that miracles/healings were a sign of those times.

BUT, we should still pray and ask for God's will, ask for healing for it may be His providence to at times intercede.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums