Is there anything in Scripture the Church has yet to fully understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Most of Main Stream Christianity Clergy have no idea what they are on about...especially the Pope.

So only a few people know what it "really" says? Nonsense. And probably leading off into Gnosticism. The Bible doesn't have some kind of secret truth only accessible to the enlightened.

On the other hand, neither is everything it says quite so clear as some people seem to think it is. It requires an enquiring mind and a great deal of humility. I don't think there's only one meaning (and that's "ours", whoever "ours" is.)

It's more like poetry in that; it requires interpretation.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the answers. So it seems unanimous that the Church can more fully understand a teaching of Scripture over time. Correct?

Years ago a rumor spread that chessmaster Bobby Fischer had discovered a 'flaw' in the game of chess that would give one such an advantage that he felt it would lead to the destruction of the game itself. It was also rumored that faced with this knowledge he retired from the chess world and became a sort of radical recluse.

Similiarly there is a great truth in the bible that if revealed would destroy the church as we know it. I believe that the ministry through the centuries, including the Popes, were fully aware of this truth but could not reveal it because of the damage it would reek. I also believe that many that visit these forums also are at least aware at some level of this truth.

I earnestly believe that this truth is being withheld until the very end when it will be revealed by God's two witnesses. It is evident that they are going to have something powerful to say to the world that has not yet been revealed. Something so unacceptable to so many that the whole world will rejoice at their deaths.

So yes, there are things that the church may not understand. But the truth is that God is withholding certain knowledge until a time of his choosing. (Imo, of course.)

owg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Posts 6 & 7 are so cryptic I know not how to respond.
4.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's questionable how far the vast majority of those calling themselves Christians, who obviously aren't Christians, realise the fate they are headed for. They'd be much better off being simple hedonists, in this life and the next.
Why does this remind me of some people who called someone else a glutton and drunkard?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Posts 6 & 7 are so cryptic I know not how to respond.
4.gif

A great irony was the Roman church condemning the printing and distribution of the bible to the laity, claiming (fearing?) that they would "wrest scripture" to their destruction. Similiarly the Eucharist is administered by hand by the priesthood, the laity not being allowed to handle the bread and wine themselves,out of fear that the "body and blood" would be accidently spilled or dropped on the ground and thus be desacrated. Have not the churches "(with)held the truth in unrighteousness"? I think so.

To this God asks rhetorically, "For this shall I not visit?"

owg

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
A great irony was the Roman church

I'm not terribly interested in what you think the "Roman church" did or didn't do.

I'm asking if people believe the Church's understanding of Scripture can develop over time. If there's anyone else out there with a take on this, please provide. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm asking if people believe the Church's understanding of Scripture can develop over time. If there's anyone else out there with a take on this, please provide. Thanks!

I don't know to which "Church" you refer since you capitalized it.
But I'll take the question broadly and assume you are referring to the whole body of believers over all time.

Lots of religious people have come across quite authoritative and confident when they are talking about various parts of Scripture. But the truth is, for the most part, what everyone is doing is just interpreting the Scripture to whatever fits their own understanding.

So people might say they understand a lot of the Scripture, but you pull together different religious groups, their understandings will differ because their interpretations are different. And who is to say who has the correct understanding and interpretation of Scripture?

As the saying goes: "You can be sincere about your convictions, but you could be sincerely wrong."

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Lots of religious people have come across quite authoritative and confident when they are talking about various parts of Scripture. But the truth is, for the most part, what everyone is doing is just interpreting the Scripture to whatever fits their own understanding.

So people might say they understand a lot of the Scripture, but you pull together different religious groups, their understandings will differ because their interpretations are different. And who is to say who has the correct understanding and interpretation of Scripture?

As the saying goes: "You can be sincere about your convictions, but you could be sincerely wrong."

Very astute observations.
As for the "Church", it would apply to anyone's understanding of what the Church is for this thread. So for you, assuming correct interpretations are possible, can an interpretation develop more fully than an original understanding.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.