Is The UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Morally Acceptable to Watch or Compete In?

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would argue that these people who compete in the UFC train for it just like any other sport. They need hard work and dedication to strive in this sport just like any other sport. Nobody is forced to compete but they compete within their own free will. There are many rules and regulations just like any other sport that ensures the person safety, mouth guards, gloves, rules and regulations. It's no different from volleyball, or soccer in that the person has a goal to win within all the rules and regulations put in front of them.

I don't personally believe the sport is wrong in itself but I'm starting to believe that the people who represent the sport might make it bad. When we look at the most popular fighter in the UFC Conor Mcgregor, his philosophy seems pretty simple. Make money and become the best there ever was. People idol this guy and possibly even want to become like him because of what he's done in the sport. The guy truly has done some amazing things in this sport, however what is this teaching people? Do you think it has some type of effect that leads people to become more self-centered? Or is it simply like the WWE where all of this is only for entertainment purposes. A show where people come together to watch an event that takes there mind off of the stresses in life and watch competition unravel? What are your thoughts on this matter?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The same concern you mention is there with anybody in the public eye - all sports, entertainment figures, business and political leaders. Any place where people could desire to emulate the success and lifestyle of those they see as being where they would like to be. And honestly, we can't expect the non-Christians in those positions to present Christian worldview and values. So specifically related to your concern, it is a problem and should be avoided if it interferes with your walk with Christ.

Others will have concern about the brutality of the UFC, though your point is well taken that everyone participating is choosing to do so same as if they participated in wrestling, baseball, swimming, etc. Those other sports don't have physically hurting your opponent as a goal, which matters to many.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I watched back in 1982 when Howard Cosell spoke out against Boxing and quit being an announcer for that sport. This spoke to me and I've not watch those type of sports since. I am now having concerns about football, but haven't made a firm decision yet. I'm going to watch and see if the rule changes that are make help with the head injuries I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The same concern you mention is there with anybody in the public eye - all sports, entertainment figures, business and political leaders. Any place where people could desire to emulate the success and lifestyle of those they see as being where they would like to be. And honestly, we can't expect the non-Christians in those positions to present Christian worldview and values. So specifically related to your concern, it is a problem and should be avoided if it interferes with your walk with Christ.

Others will have concern about the brutality of the UFC, though your point is well taken that everyone participating is choosing to do so same as if they participated in wrestling, baseball, swimming, etc. Those other sports don't have physically hurting your opponent as a goal, which matters to many.
The reason im asking is because I made a youtube channel where I make ufc highlights of the fans choosing about 5 years ago. It's starting to grow exponentially now and I know that if I continue to do this I can find success. However, I don't know if it's the right thing to do. People enjoy the videos and it motivates them to go to the gym and work out but what if it motivates them to live for themselves and not care about other people as well? What I really want to do is make videos that inspire people to live more fulfilling lives. I'm not sure if me making these videos is doing that..On one hand a lot of people are starting to do what I'm doing now. Regardless if I stop or not people will continue to make videos like I'm doing. The advantage I have is that I have the most subscribers and the biggest name. I'm wondering if I should continue to do what I'm doing to see where it takes me, or start something else..

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many people I know won't watch it because they say its just a blood sport and thats why people watch it. And to some degree its true. I do have people I like in it, but I do partially watch it to see when the bad stuff happens. I doubt Jesus would watch it. Tow men (or women) beating each other until blood, bruises...etc happen is not that great. Though in boxing that has happened too.

What many people forget is that before UFC/MMA fights became a big thig on tv, they were done off tv and had no rules. People often had broken bones and in some cases people would die. Me? I wouldn't watch that if they went back to the old ways of doing it.

Upvote 0