Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Should we tear it down? The message on this famous American image reads:

Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free.
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest – tost to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

The recent barrage of emails in my inbox, many from fellow Christians, call for the deportation of hundreds of thousands of of the "wretched refuse" that have come here from mainly Mexican and Cuban shores.

How can we support this and also keep the Statue of Liberty? Or maybe, we should just scratch out the inscription? If not, then why not?

Last edited:

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well for those that suggest that the meaning of the inscription on the statue is the same today as it was a century or more ago, I'd ask why the meaning of that stays the same and yet the consitution(or more precisely select parts of it) is outdated and can't possibly apply today?

Upvote 0

rahmiyn

Glad to be here :)
Mar 24, 2009
Florida
✟9,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Well for those that suggest that the meaning of the inscription on the statue is the same today as it was a century or more ago, I'd ask why the meaning of that stays the same and yet the consitution(or more precisely select parts of it) is outdated and can't possibly apply today?

Can you provide some examples? I noticed you are a Republican, so I would imagine you wouldn't be thinking the 2000 Bush election (and its gross misrepresentation of the Constitution's balance of powers), or Bush's Patriot Act, another violation of the Constitution's original design for the balance of powers. These are the only current examples I can think of where the original Constitution and all the Amendments were grossly disregarded.

Upvote 0

voiceofsoul

Nov 13, 2006
the ass of nowhere
✟8,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The statue of Liberty is outdated for Americans who were born in this country, also. Progressive Democrats (i.e. left-wing fascists) steal my money for "a good cause", don't want me driving a '55 Caddy, eating Cheeseburgers, reading the bible or even smoking cigarettes (but you can do pot, 'cause that stuff's cool, man!). Neo-con Republicans are reading my mail, holding me incarcerated without habeas corpus, telling me what church to go to and trying to tell me how I must go about my dating/courting/social relations with the opposite sex. America, the land of the free? I think not.

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The statue of Liberty is outdated for Americans who were born in this country, also. Progressive Democrats (i.e. left-wing fascists) steal my money for "a good cause", don't want me driving a '55 Caddy, eating Cheeseburgers, reading the bible or even smoking cigarettes (but you can do pot, 'cause that stuff's cool, man!). Neo-con Republicans are reading my mail, holding me incarcerated without habeas corpus, telling me what church to go to and trying to tell me how I must go about my dating/courting/social relations with the opposite sex. America, the land of the free? I think not.
What does the inscription on the Statue of Liberty have to do with these things?
As a side note, are progressive Democrats proposing legislation to outlaw reading the Bible? Haven't heard about that one. I doubt that there's any move to outlaw cheeseburgers from either side, considering how much the meat industry spends on lobbyists (although personally I wouldn't mind :) )

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Should we tear it down? The message on this famous American image reads:

The recent barrage of emails in my inbox, many from fellow Christians, call for the deportation of hundreds of thousands of of the "wretched refuse" that have come here from mainly Mexican and Cuban shores.

How can we support this and also keep the Statue of Liberty? Or maybe, we should just scratch out the inscription? If not, then why not?
Didn't you know? The inscription is only talking about white immigrants.

/irony

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

Kharak

Besides, the Statue of Liberty is French. You guys ought to tear it down just to show those surrender monkeys what you think of them! Oorah! USA! USA!

I can see the restless soul of the Marquis de Lafayette arising from the dead with a skeleton army just to punish us for that remark.

The next time I see Limbaugh or O'Reilly claim the French are cowards, I will do well to warn them of their contribution to our Revolution . . .

And their equally important contribution to the fascinating world of cheeses.

Upvote 0

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
Here and there. Mostly there.
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, there's a town near where I live named Lafayette after him. Though how it's pronounced usually depends on if you're from there, or an outsider... or... if you've read any history books or taken any French...

Boy, I ramble...

Upvote 0

Zlex

Oct 3, 2003
✟5,371.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
In retail exchanges, we are sprinting towards the reality of 'consonants' becoming totally pointless. Why are they still included on modern keyboards?

Imagine 99.99999% of internet bandwidth without consonants; any sense of loss in this thread? It would have to be imagined.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What does the inscription on the Statue of Liberty have to do with these things?
As a side note, are progressive Democrats proposing legislation to outlaw reading the Bible? Haven't heard about that one. I doubt that there's any move to outlaw cheeseburgers from either side, considering how much the meat industry spends on lobbyists (although personally I wouldn't mind :) )
55 cadi: gas hog, tax um.
smoking: outside or in your own home only(with no kids in the house).
Not outlawing cheeseburgers, but it is goverements right to punish you for eating them with a tax.

Basically goverment infringing on every aspect of life, meaning freedom is gone.

BTW the statue of liberty welcomes legal immigrants, entering legally, and following our laws. That is still true today. We don't welcome the person sneaking in, putting a drain on our resources, comitting crimes etc, much like the family welcoming guests in thier home, don't like someone sneaking into thier house and making themselves at home.

We welcome controlled, legal immigration. We don't welcome the invaders doing as they please without reguard to our laws.

Upvote 0

rahmiyn

Glad to be here :)
Mar 24, 2009
Florida
✟9,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
BTW the statue of liberty welcomes legal immigrants, entering legally, and following our laws. That is still true today. We don't welcome the person sneaking in, putting a drain on our resources, comitting crimes etc, much like the family welcoming guests in thier home, don't like someone sneaking into thier house and making themselves at home.

We welcome controlled, legal immigration. We don't welcome the invaders doing as they please without reguard to our laws.

This is a really good answer to the OP. It really is. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0