My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Hello there.
I am wondering if you all know how I could find out if the name Korak is a Jewish surname. My friend tells me that the enlish translation of Korah in the bible is pronounced Korak in Hebrew. This is my maiden name. I have no living reletives that could help me. My grandfathers mother and father were both from Croatia. From what I have gathered on the net, there are some jews, orthodox and roman catholics in that region. Does anyone know how I could comfirm if Korak has any Jewish ties to it?
Thanks so much
GEL

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Ok, that is what i figured. How would one go about find out if this was true? I know my grandfather and my father were very very Catholic. What made me want to find out about this was someone from the Catholic board said that some Jews hid from persicution by having the Catholic church make fake baptismal certificates. So I seached my grandmothers name because she had changed it right around war time. Her last name was Smiljanic and she changed it to Smilian before she married my grandfather Korak.
I sure do wish I had someone in the family to confirm things with.
GEL

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Yes I was thinking the same thing that this might be a case of a "Conversio" from hundreds of years ago.
Question comes too to my mind if there is an unbroken female line from say 700 AD due to a conversio situation would that person say Green Eyed Lady be considered Jewish by birth? Remember I did say an unbroken line so it's hypothetical at best.

Who knows GEL you might be Jewish! Praise YHVH!

PG :wave:

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
I feel the need however to caution you - if your father's side of the family was Jewish you have Jewish blood but you are only Jewish if the Jewish ancestry is through your mother's female side of the family..... either way it would be exciting to find out ;)

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
Just for claryfication, because I know Henaynei dear is suffering a migraine ( I am praying for you ) that by the Jewish authorities, in Israel or any "sect" but Messianic you would have to have a Jewish Mother to be considered Jewish. But Messianic Judaism considers Mother or Father.

I have seen though, some whose families did the conversion to save life and became practicing Catholics, have however without knowing been drawn to another of the same, so many people who didn't think they were Jewish find out that it happened on both sides of the family. The mother and father usually never find out, it seems to be the children in this last generation. HaShem is calling his own and revealing things only he knows.

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Zayit said:
Just for claryfication, because I know Henaynei dear is suffering a migraine ( I am praying for you ) that by the Jewish authorities, in Israel or any "sect" but Messianic you would have to have a Jewish Mother to be considered Jewish. But Messianic Judaism considers Mother or Father.
The Reform movement has ruled that you can be considered Jewish if you have only a Jewish father, HOWEVER, you have to also have been raised as a Jew. (Not applicable to this situation, but just throwing it out there :))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Well this has been very intresting information. I figured you would have to be raised Jewish to be concidered Jewish. I have asked the Lord to reveal this to me so that HE might get the glory. Deep down, I know I am a gentile. With my family history. And that is ok, because of Jesus, I am HIS OWN!.
AMEN!

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Well, to the Orthodox, as long as your mother, maternal grandmother, etc are Jewish, you are Jewish even if you weren't raised as a Jew (even if you didn't know you were a Jew). Conservatives view it the same way. The Reform ruled that either of your parents can be a Jew AND you have to be raised Jewish in order to be considered a Jew.

Upvote 0