Is the bible's portrayal of hell, literal?

May 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
✟7,918.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SOF has nothing to do with this. The Orthodox view is that Hell (or Hades/ Sheol) is the state of being dead. So there is no eternity of Hell.

As for the Lake of Fire, also known as Gehenna (yes, the Lake of Fire is different from Hell), the Orthodox view is that it is a metaphor for being in the presence of God's love.

Christ rose from the dead, abolishing death and giving life to all men. Therefore, all men will live forever and no longer face wasting away into non-existence (if God chose never to save us, having cut ourselves off from the Source of Life, the only option would be eventual non-life for us). But a heart that hates God will find His eternal presence to be an eternity of suffering.

Upvote 0
May 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
✟7,918.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It certainly does because you're teaching against it here but that would be the least of your concern.
You made a post claiming that the Lake of Fire is literal, eternal, and anything else is unorthodox. That my good man, is only half right as I have shown in my previous post.

I would love to know the basis for such an arrogant claim as to know what my concerns are, btw.

[EDIT] I would also add that I was teaching nothing. Facts were missing/ misleading, and I corrected that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You made a post claiming that the Lake of Fire is literal, eternal, and anything else is unorthodox. That my good man, is only half right as I have shown in my previous post.

I would love to know the basis for such an arrogant claim as to know what my concerns are, btw.

[EDIT] I would also add that I was teaching nothing. Facts were missing/ misleading, and I corrected that.

You've shown nothing and corrected nothing my good man except to twist Scripture. You can go back search the other threads about Hell. Read the SOF and you will see why it is unorthodox.

Upvote 0
May 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
✟7,918.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You've shown nothing and corrected nothing my good man except to twist Scripture. You can go back search the other threads about Hell. Read the SOF and you will see why it is unorthodox.
Please show me where in the SOF that it is says that Hell and Lake of Fire are not different, they are literal, and that Hell is eternal.

Here it is -
A few things to know about Nondenominational Christians:
  1. A Nondenominational Christian Church is one that is autonomous and not under a central authority (i.e. governing board, Magesterium, Patriarchs) on matters of doctrine, ordination, policy or discipline. They may be part of an association to share resources.
  2. We believe that Bible is the word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and the only authoritative and infallible rule of Christian faith and practice.
  3. We believe the only true basis of Christian fellowship is Christ's (agape) love, which is greater than differences one may possess, and without which we have no right to claim ourselves Christians.
  4. Having developed after the Protestant Reformation, most Non-denominational churches hold to the five solas - Solus Christus, Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Gratia and Soli Deo Gloria (to God alone be the glory).
  5. The members of this Non-denominational forum believe that one is saved by grace and not by works of the law (sabbath, and dietary laws are just two examples), and they worship on Sunday. Promotion of the doctrine of salvation by works and Saturday (seventh-day) worship is not allowed. Please discuss these topics in General Theology.
I hate to give you a wiki link, but this page has a good amount of information for you - Christian views on Hell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

buchalady

Sep 8, 2011
✟15,309.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jude 7 refers to Sodom and Gomorrah being destroyed by "eternal fire," but those cities are not still burning.

A similar reference in 2 Peter says those wicked cities were reduced to ashes and condemned to destruction, which eternal fire meant. It was fire that burned until it accomplished its purpose.

"Eternal destruction" is the process of being destroyed, meaning that it's result is final and irreversible. Sodom was destroyed and stayed destroyed. That is "eternal destruction."

The same is true with the wicked. They are "eternally destroyed," finally and forever.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Titus 3:10, among others.
"Reject a factious man after a first and second warning,"

What is factious about believing what the bible says?
It seems to me that you are being factious.
If you have something to say, some bible verse that proves that God tortures people forever, you could tell me where to find it. The Bible says that the wages of sin is death and the penalty is eternal destruction. I believe the bible is true. I believe you are trying to cause trouble.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"Reject a factious man after a first and second warning,"

What is factious about believing what the bible says?

"
"A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Please show me where in the SOF that it is says that Hell and Lake of Fire are not different, they are literal, and that Hell is eternal.

From "Statement of Faith"

Discussions about Nicene and Trinitarian beliefs may take place in the Christian-Only forums, all discussions regarding non-Nicene and non-Trinitarian topics will take place in Unorthodox Theology. Those topics include (but are not limited to)
● Universalism
● Open Theism
● Full Preterism
● Trinitarianism
● Annihilationism
● Masonry
● discussions related to unorthodox Christian religions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 14:11

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

I believe it is eternal and conscious based on this scripture, and a few others, so I am not just pulling it out of a hat. I can also think of a good reason for it being that way, which is compatible with the love of God.

I think you'll agree with me that eternal conscious torment in hell is the worst punishment anyone could ever conceive of. I think you'll also agree with me that if God allows us to have free will, He must do something to discourage sin as much as possible in His Universe without violating that free will. Well, I can think of nothing that would discourage sin more than the sentence of eternal punishment in hell. If God punished sin with a lesser punishment, such as annihiliation, then you could actually make an argument against the love of God by saying that God was not doing everything he could to discourage sin in the world. I've met more than a few people who have told me they would vastly prefer that their existence was wiped out permanently, so for some people, this wouldn't even be a punishment. There are probably quite a few people who would enjoy the proposition of doing whatever they wanted in this life even if it meant they would be destroyed forever in the next. So in that manner annihiliation will actually encourage sin. Since a loving God would discourage sin as much as possible, the idea of eternal conscious torment in hell is not incompatible with the love of God, since God would actually be less loving for ordaining a lesser punishment for sin.

I do not agree that eternal torment is the worst conceivable punishment. I think that's our disconnect. I also agree that God allows us to have free will. Free will that is coerced through fear and intimidation isn't free though. Nor does fear of punishment have any part in a loving God according to scripture. I did not say you were just pulling it out of your hat.

The book of Revelation may have a lot of symbolism, that doesn't take away from the fact that Jesus Christ Himself teaches on the subject of eternal punishment or eternal salvation. What about Matthew 25:46?

"And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

You see, the words "death" and "grave" are also symbolic and have different meanings in the bible. The Second Death doesn't take away from the fact that those who face the Lord's judgement and are sent into the lake of fire are going to face "eternal" pain, suffering and punishment.

Read your bibles, friends................ that's all I got to say about that.
Yet in the very verse you quoted it only says punishment, and you still added eternal pain and suffering to it?I do read my Bible quite often and would be happy to start a long distance Bible study with you if your interested.

It certainly does because you're teaching against it here but that would be the least of your concern.
I agree that it's non-nicene, in that the nicene creed has nothing to do with annhilationism, which was Tim's point. I agree with you however that because of
"non-Nicene and non-Trinitarian topics will take place in Unorthodox Theology. Those topics include (but are not limited to)
● Universalism
● Open Theism
● Full Preterism
● Trinitarianism
● Annihilationism"
We should probably ask the admins to move this thread to unorthodox theology.

"
"A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
Have you practiced Matthew 18:15-17? That's how my Bible tells me to practice polemics.

I think a major disconnect between the two sides is what the sunisout pointed out. Some believe the worst conceivable punishment is burning forever in a lake of fire. I believe knowing and being face to face with God and being summarily and forever rejected by Him, especially after knowing the enormity and beauty of His love and Grace, would be far worse than some third degree burns. Regardless of what the fate of the fallen are, or the imutable makeup of our souls, God will punish thouse that aren't covered by the blood of Christ (unless you're a Universalist). It's not heresy that the Holy Spirit has revealed scripture to each of us for God's will. It's not divissive when we accept that none of us are right, and none can know God's will. We each have a very muddied reflection of God we're relying on, because we're in the flesh. I accept that others don't believe as I do, I once believed that too, I can understand it. All this focus on fear, damnation and negativity though obviously brings out the nasty side of a lot of us, and frankly I think it's counter-productive to a non-denominational non-divisive Christian walk. Before this turns into too much of the usual, I'd like all non-denomination believers to pray prior to any response to this thread (whever it ends up). These threads can sure kill a Spirit of unity fast, so my love and respect go out to each and every poster on this thread, in advance.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not agree that eternal torment is the worst conceivable punishment. I think that's our disconnect. I also agree that God allows us to have free will. Free will that is coerced through fear and intimidation isn't free though. Nor does fear of punishment have any part in a loving God according to scripture. I did not say you were just pulling it out of your hat.

Yet in the very verse you quoted it only says punishment, and you still added eternal pain and suffering to it?I do read my Bible quite often and would be happy to start a long distance Bible study with you if your interested.

I agree that it's non-nicene, in that the nicene creed has nothing to do with annhilationism, which was Tim's point. I agree with you however that because of
"non-Nicene and non-Trinitarian topics will take place in Unorthodox Theology. Those topics include (but are not limited to)
● Universalism
● Open Theism
● Full Preterism
● Trinitarianism
● Annihilationism"
We should probably ask the admins to move this thread to unorthodox theology.

Have you practiced Matthew 18:15-17? That's how my Bible tells me to practice polemics.

I think a major disconnect between the two sides is what the sunisout pointed out. Some believe the worst conceivable punishment is burning forever in a lake of fire. I believe knowing and being face to face with God and being summarily and forever rejected by Him, especially after knowing the enormity and beauty of His love and Grace, would be far worse than some third degree burns. Regardless of what the fate of the fallen are, or the imutable makeup of our souls, God will punish thouse that aren't covered by the blood of Christ (unless you're a Universalist). It's not heresy that the Holy Spirit has revealed scripture to each of us for God's will. It's not divissive when we accept that none of us are right, and none can know God's will. We each have a very muddied reflection of God we're relying on, because we're in the flesh. I accept that others don't believe as I do, I once believed that too, I can understand it. All this focus on fear, damnation and negativity though obviously brings out the nasty side of a lot of us, and frankly I think it's counter-productive to a non-denominational non-divisive Christian walk. Before this turns into too much of the usual, I'd like all non-denomination believers to pray prior to any response to this thread (whever it ends up). These threads can sure kill a Spirit of unity fast, so my love and respect go out to each and every poster on this thread, in advance.

I do not think eternal, conscious torment just means that you're being burned alive for eternity. Physical burning may be part of it, but I think the bulk of the torment is spiritual and psychological. Spiritual, because of your total seperation from God and His goodness, and psychological, because you are continually and persistantly aware of this, the hopeless weight of your sentence, your memories of rejecting God, etc. I cannot think of a worse punishment than this, can you? So, if we can now agree that this is the worst conceivable punishment, please tell me what flaw do you find in the logic of my previous post?

Free will is not the idea of doing something independent of God. Free will is simply the choice that Adam and Eve faced, which was to obey or disobey God. Was God coercing Adam and Eve when He told them that the day they ate of the fruit they would surely die? Was God coercing Israel when He told them that if they violated His commandments they would fall under a curse? He was not. God has ordained laws and violating His laws have very real consequences. It is because He is merciful that He warns us in advance what will happen if we defy Him.

The main point of this being that if God allows us to do evil by disobeying His will, He has a moral obligation to discourage that evil as much as He possibily can. Thus, He must mete out the maximum punishment possible for sin. Annhiliationism does not meet this obligation; as I explained in the other post, this would actually be a tender mercy to many people. It's a punishment with no force behind it, no real consequence for wrong doing; there are many people who hate God and would be perfectly happy with doing whatever they want here only to be destroyed later. Only an infinite punishment will truly be effective in discouraging sin.

You haven't made it clear what you believe happens in hell, so I do not mean this to say that this is what you believe. I am simply addressing the inadaquecy of common arguments against eternal torment.

I also don't understand why are speaking out against the fear of God. Do you think Jesus was kidding when He said this:

Luke 12:5

But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

What did He mean? What do you think Paul meant when He said this?:

Hebrews 10:31

It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

or this:

2 Corinthians 5:11

Knowing therefore the fear of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

We hear time and time again in scripture to fear God, that the fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom. Solomon summed up ecclesiastes this way:

Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole [duty] of man.

It seems clear from scripture that it is very unwise not to fear God. In the Christian sense, we can take this as being an awe and reverence, and a very healthy respect. For an unbeliever, they should absolutely fear the judgement of God. What sane person wouldn't?

I would also encourage everyone to prayerfully consider their words in this thread. The enemy uses this topic of hell to bitterly divide the body of Christ. Please be aware of the spiritual warfare we undergo in discussing this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you really believe in abject, cringing horrified fear of punishment from God (the common connotation of fear)

How do you exigit 1 John 4:18? If you look in a stndard dictionary there are several uses for the word fear, one being (and I feel is the most appropriate) reverential awe. That's not even getting into original languages and comparitive studies.

Do I fear God the way I think you fear God? Not from what I can see of your position and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I don't need that kind of fear as a motivator.

I don't believe God has any moral obligation to His creation, especially through discouragment of any kind. As far as eternal conscious suffering (of any type) in any place (whatever you define as Hell) I don't think it can be reconciled with Jesus saying we get destroyed in that place. You said "Only an infinite punishment will truly be effective in discouraging sin." Isn't being seperated from God a punishment regardless of it's duration? Isn't total absolute annhilation a permanent thing? You're entitled to interpret the verses how you like and believe what God puts on your heart. I've done the research, looked at the translations , prayed on it, and am completely at peace with how and why I believe what I do (I'm not saying you haven't, I'm ok with differences of opinion). I won't really argue it anymore on here or elsewhere because I feel it should not be nearly as big of a focus as it is. Feel free to PM or email me if you'd like to have a discussion on it.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Nicene Creed is the SOF for CF:
CF supports the following as a statement of faith:
The Nicene Creed (with scriptural references)

What you added was not part of the Nicene Creed and therefore not part of the SOF. What you added was a rule. CF doesn't determine who is a heretick and who is not a heretic. You don't get to make that determination either.

Your accusation that I am a heretick is baseless. It is a mere insult without any basis in reality at all. All you can do is insult and namecall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
✟7,918.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For starters, that's not in the ND SOF. Wrong page?

Second, do you know what Annihilationism is? If you do, then you are not understanding what I have been saying.

Annihilationism is the belief that apart from salvation the death of human beings results in their total destruction (annihilation) rather than their everlasting torment.

All that I have been saying is that the Orthodox Christian view is that Hell (Sheol) is the state of being dead, while the Lake of Fire (Gehenna) is the everlasting torment.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you really believe in abject, cringing horrified fear of punishment from God (the common connotation of fear)

How do you exigit 1 John 4:18? If you look in a stndard dictionary there are several uses for the word fear, one being (and I feel is the most appropriate) reverential awe. That's not even getting into original languages and comparitive studies.

Do I fear God the way I think you fear God? Not from what I can see of your position and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I don't need that kind of fear as a motivator.

I don't believe God has any moral obligation to His creation, especially through discouragment of any kind. As far as eternal conscious suffering (of any type) in any place (whatever you define as Hell) I don't think it can be reconciled with Jesus saying we get destroyed in that place. You said "Only an infinite punishment will truly be effective in discouraging sin." Isn't being seperated from God a punishment regardless of it's duration? Isn't total absolute annhilation a permanent thing? You're entitled to interpret the verses how you like and believe what God puts on your heart. I've done the research, looked at the translations , prayed on it, and am completely at peace with how and why I believe what I do (I'm not saying you haven't, I'm ok with differences of opinion). I won't really argue it anymore on here or elsewhere because I feel it should not be nearly as big of a focus as it is. Feel free to PM or email me if you'd like to have a discussion on it.

An extended discussion on this probably won't be particularly edifying for either of us, so I'll finish up my response here.

Let's look at 1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

The key word there is torment. It is the same noun used in Matthew 25:46 for punishment, the only other time it is used:

Matthew 25:46

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

It is saying that a perfect love for God is absent of a fear of punishment, specifically, a terror of the judgement. Note, that this does not rule out a filial fear of God.

The interesting thing here is the connection you've brought up, because the word for punishment in Matthew 25:46 denotes suffering and anguish, or torment, as it is described in 1 John 4:18. The word absolutely does not imply a final destruction, but a continuing agony.

Further, the word for everlasting, aionion, is used 66 times in the New Testament. 51 of those speaks of the everlasting happiness of the righteous. 6 of those speak about the everlasting nature of the Messiahs Kingdom. 2 speak about Gods eternal nature. 7, of the everlasting punishment of the wicked. If you want to say that those 7 refer to a limited punishment, then you must also say that those other instances (such as the happiness of the righteous and Gods eternal nature) are also limited. But it is undeniable that the other 59 instances of the word refer to an unlimited duration. Therefore, sound interpretation demands we also apply an unlimited duration to the punishment of the wicked.

You suggested in your reply that I felt Christians should cower before God, which is not true. I said this in my reply:

"In the Christian sense, we can take this as being an awe and reverence, and a very healthy respect."

I don't cower before God, but I do bow to Him as my Lord and my God, with awe and reverence. Should the lost fear God? They absolutely should.

You say that you don't feel God has any moral obligation to discourage sin. I will have to respectfully disagree. A God of love does not wish His creatures to suffer unduly. A Holy God cannot even stand to look at sin. A just God would not do less than He could to discourage sin in His Kingdom without a morally sufficient reason. The morally sufficient reason for allowing it at all being our free will to obey or disobey. Beyond that, He must ordain the maximum possible punishment for sin. Any suffering that His creatures undergo because He did less than He could of to prevent it would be unjust, unloving, and certainly not Holy.

You said the punishment of annihilation was sufficient because it was eternal seperation from God. But don't you know that this is exactly what many people want? Do you have any idea how many people would gladly trade their eternal future with God for a free pass to sin in this life? I've spoken to more than a few atheists who have told me that if God existed they want nothing to do with Him, certainly not to spend eternity with them. They would much rather die permanently than to worship Him, which is what they already believe will happen anyway. They would consider annihiliation a tender mercy from God, not a punishment. It is only the idea of suffering in hell for eternity that gives them pause. Annihiliation is not an effective deterrant, it in many cases it would actually encourage sin

Last edited:
Upvote 0