Is technology the biggest downfall of man?

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I should point out I am a geek adn LOVE technology. I read popular science and mechanics and drive my friends nuts showing them some of the great stuff always coming out.

But over the years I've really took a look at technology overall and realized that just like the A-Bomb, this also will lead to more decay in society and downfall before God comes back.

True, technology has helped us alot. But for every new things, theres always someone wanting to use it for a bad purpose. And not to mention to some degree its made us lazy and corrupt. Before we had to get up off the couch to change the channel, now we have remots and phones to do that. We had to go be sociable to stay up to date on things, now we have facebook.

It seems like while things "feel" better because of technology, that were actually to some degree going backwards rather then forwards. Its why I loved Wall-E, it was a good glimpse of our future. Now as a christian, technology is REALLY dangerous for us! Theres temptation for all kinds of sin at every corner.

So anyone agree technology is ultimatly not help and will only hurt s more as chrsitians?

Chris Ruddell

Jan 14, 2012
✟7,620.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Technology is nothing more than our use of the creativity God gave us. It is in the use of this creativity that we show how we are created in God's image, and yet it is also in this creativity that we recommit the sin of Eden by becoming like gods ourselves. So, the answer to your question is no, and yes!

Upvote 0

James.a

Mar 17, 2011
Mifflinburg - PA
✟7,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with Chris, no and yes. Like OP freakazoid I am a total tech geek and sometimes annoy people when I get in technical conversations and battles such as Mac vs PC vs Linux or iPhone vs Android, lol. But anyways back to the point it all comes down to how you use technology. No matter what sin and evil will always exist in the world and will always use whatever sources given. On the other hand technology brings great resources for christians too. Its so great to have a site like this and christian chat rooms and stuff that allows us to connect with so many people and make so many friends around the world, just as long as you dont let it stop you from physical social things as well.

Upvote 0

RoadWarrior

Seeking the middle path.....
Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agreed. It's just a material thing like money. Nothing wrong with it per se. 1 Timothy 6:10 says "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." Same goes for technology or any other material object. We should never let the love of technology cause us to stray from our spiritual path.

I often say "I love the Internet" but that is just an expression. My material likes shouldn't be allowed to harm my spiritual journey and I remain conscious of this pitfall. It doesn't have to be technology or money. It could be sex, food, "keeping up with the Jones", cars, clothes or even something we often see as positive such as books or an educational degree. When we allow the material world to supersede our spiritual world, we are making the mistake of giving in to immediate gratification over our eternal gratification. "Love of technology" is only one way where we could make this mistake.

Upvote 0
M

MissIndigo

I should point out I am a geek adn LOVE technology. I read popular science and mechanics and drive my friends nuts showing them some of the great stuff always coming out.

But over the years I've really took a look at technology overall and realized that just like the A-Bomb, this also will lead to more decay in society and downfall before God comes back.

True, technology has helped us alot. But for every new things, theres always someone wanting to use it for a bad purpose. And not to mention to some degree its made us lazy and corrupt. Before we had to get up off the couch to change the channel, now we have remots and phones to do that. We had to go be sociable to stay up to date on things, now we have facebook.

It seems like while things "feel" better because of technology, that were actually to some degree going backwards rather then forwards. Its why I loved Wall-E, it was a good glimpse of our future. Now as a christian, technology is REALLY dangerous for us! Theres temptation for all kinds of sin at every corner.

So anyone agree technology is ultimatly not help and will only hurt s more as chrsitians?

Everything has its pros and cons.

For example, printing was a form of 'technology' back in its heyday. Its something we don't think much of today, but really matters.

The first printed book was the bible. It made spreading the gospel so much easier. The printing revolution changed the way Christianity was spread, and shot it centuries forward from other religions who shunned the technology.

Another example of technology.

In some countries, bibles are banned in the native language. An example is Malaysia. Malay bibles are banned in case the Malay natives learn and convert to Christianity. The reason cited is 'religious sensitivity is not harmed or else violence will occur'. There it is perfectly acceptable a reason for the people of the dominant religion to revolt using violence and cite 'sensitivities being hurt' as an excuse and it has happened before.

Hence, a person who might not understand English would be stuck fast in learning about God and Jesus. Going to church is not an option. Locals mix but are suspicious of one another when it comes to religion.

Spreading the gospel is also a crime there.

What if a local wants to learn more about Christianity? Short of smuggling Malay bibles in or be caught polytheizing to a Malay and put in jail and have the Malay possibly tortured by religious authorities (again, it has happened before), what can this person do?

He can go on the internet. Plenty of bibles there. Too hard? No computer? Well many people in Malaysia have access to phones. You can get phones on cheap plans. Most people would take the iPhone or some smartphone because of the prestige and ease of use.

You can download the bible app. It has every language in the book. It even recites in your native language if you can't read.

It can also allow Christians in countries where freedom of religion is curtailed to organise prayer meetings, mass, and other religious gatherings without being ratted out by people or having to approach a printing company for brochures.

Technology is a tool used by mankind, and subject to good or bad intentions.

It in itself isn't bad, but in the hands of the wrong people, it can be used for bad too.

So while yes there are lots of bad things about technology, you in the West have no idea what it does for countless of people discovering Christianity - if spoken from a Christian point of view - in countries where they simply can't just walk up to the nearest church. What if there are no churches? What if there are few Christians and you never met them? What if it were a crime to do Christian things we take for granted such as praying, attending mass or even just discussing our own religion without being accused of blaspheming?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
yes it is. man is only supposed to work the fields. Technology ties into the End Times when God's original curses put upon man will be reversed...

interesting thread though
thanks all for sharing

I hope you're being sarcastic.

If you believe that men should only work fields, why are you using a computer? Most people are not farmers due to the realities of the modern world.

Anyways, I don't think that technology in general is the biggest downfall of man. Yahweh is not surprised by technology. (Heck, even using the wheel in 'biblical' days can be considered 'technology')

Technology is simply a tool that develop and use using the brain that Yahweh has given us. In the Garden of Eden, everything was provided for us, but since we are not, humans develop tools to make our lives easier while achieving the same goal, technology just being one of those tools.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yes it is. man is only supposed to work the fields. Technology ties into the End Times when God's original curses put upon man will be reversed...
interesting thread though
thanks all for sharing

If you believe that men should only work fields, why are you using a computer? Most people are not farmers due to the realities of the modern world.
Anyways, I don't think that technology in general is the biggest downfall of man. Yahweh is not surprised by technology. (Heck, even using the wheel in 'biblical' days can be considered 'technology')
Technology is simply a tool that develop and use using the brain that Yahweh has given us. In the Garden of Eden, everything was provided for us, but since we are not, humans develop tools to make our lives easier while achieving the same goal, technology just being one of those tools.

Technology is a whole system which includes making tools. The way we are designed by Yahweh it is natural for us to make tools, and we do that with planning to make something go better. Sometimes with that it does, other times not, sometimes it works but unforseen problems come with it, and often our plans and designs run ahead of God and we do not do well not including him in what we are thinking. With this civilization has gone forward into dangerous "progress", it may be remembered civilization started from fallen, rebellious humanity, and with the tower at the start, it did not have blessing from Yahweh. When I read Revelation 19, I see an indictment on urban civilization generally.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

What just working fields?

A plow, an oxen yolk and even a simple shovel are all examples of technology.

Upvote 0