Is Sound Doctrine Essential for Salvation?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have people that think that all they have to do is be a part of Christian church or show up once a week to listen to the preacher and they are good, no matter what they teach. And its clear that without a proper understanding of doctrine and a knowledge of the Gospel in God’s Word, faith can be sidetracked or weakened. Just look at how the Jews thought that the Messiah was going to set up a kingdom to overthrow the Roman rule, and it was so ingrained that it took a while to clear it from even the disciples views. I have come across denominations which just about every one of its churchs has a different idea of what doctrine they get from the Bible depending on the preacher, and so what end up happening is you just keep shifting till you find one that fits your lifestyle, with no real change. Is that what Jesus put forth. We see the most basic elements at the start of Christs ministry...

Matthew 3:2
And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

So what is needed?

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A year ago, a woman named Maureen visited my Church. There she spoke about her missionary work in Moldova.

She said she and her 2 sisters in Christ went there to preach the Gospel in late 1980's. Those years were very rough in Moldova, constant war and poverty, people dropping like flies because of cold winters and no place to live. Even worse, Bibles were illegal to own, and if people did have one, it was just some parts of the Gospel.

Yet many after hearing the Gospel believed. That's all. They barely had any theology, even the pastors. The Churches were in remote places. Maureen spoke of a Church were people assembled in the forrest, because they had nowhere to go. While the war was raging outside, tanks shooting, people bowed downed to God, humbled themselves, admitted their sins, and accepted Christ as their Savior, that's all. They barely knew any theology, yet, they would put many to shame when it came to faith, as they were constantly persecuted for being Christians, yet they hold onto God.

John 3 16 “For God so loved the world,that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

It says whoever believes, not whoever has the most sound theology.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
John 3:16 makes a clear distinction between everlasting life and perishment. In the same chapter John ties belief and obedience together in the word apeitheō; from G545; to disbelieve (willfully and perversely):—not believe, disobedient, obey not, unbelieving.

John 3:36 KJV He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.​
John 3:36 ESV Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.​
John 3:36 NASB The one who believes in the Son has eternal life; but the one who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”​
John 3:36 ISV The one who believes in the Son has eternal life, but the one who disobeys the Son will not see life. Instead, the wrath of God remains on him.​
John 3:36 RSV He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him.​
John 3:36 AMP He who believes and trusts in the Son and accepts Him [as Savior] has eternal life [that is, already possesses it]; but he who does not believe the Son and chooses to reject Him, [disobeying Him and denying Him as Savior] will not see [eternal] life, but [instead] the wrath of God hangs over him continually.”​
Jesus, concerning eternal life and commandment keeping:

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
John 3 16 “For God so loved the world,that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

It says whoever believes, not whoever has the most sound theology.
I would consider reading a bit further.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

Here they make the clear distinction that believing in Jesus is related to our obedience to Him. Those who choose to do evil (sin) does not come to the light because their deeds are evil, but we are called to come to the truth (light) so our deeds can be exposed. This is what the Ten Commandments does- it shows us our sin just like a mirror. When we bury our sins (stay in darkness) we don't confess or forsake them and therefore God can't give us His mercy and grace and give us the power to help overcome. Proverbs 28:13 Those who seek God want to come to the Truth so Jesus can help us overcome our sins. Our salvation is from sin Mat 1:21 not in sin.

Jesus in His own Words tells us that it's more than just believing...

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord [believer],’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Believing is a great first step but as our love for Jesus grows, we should want to obey Him through faith and love. Rom 3:31 1 John 5:3 John 14:15 Exo 20:6

• Winner
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know Christians who love God who do not keep the Sabbath for it has not been presented to them in a way that makes sense to them. We know there are millions of Christians who died without ever learning about the Sabbath and they will be saved. We also know that there are those who never heard the name of Jesus who will be saved for they obeyed the promptings of the HS. They knew no theology whatsoever. God is loving and just and will not destroy people wh obeyed Him but had no idea who Jesus is. Our status is determined on how much of the light we have we obey and our love for God, or lack thereof.

Upvote 0