Is Showing Cleavage Immodest? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
This topic is a joke.

Why not just tell christian women to wear hair coverings too?

Some men are projecting when they should be taking responsibility. Yes, what a joke we must seem to anyone with half of a brain. I agree, sadly - this topic is a joke.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Don't think it's a joke.

It's a mutual effort of sorting out which is which and what is what.

Merely having some skin showing in the light of day, for comfort or health reasons (moderate sunlight on skin is healthy), is not sinful.
If someone finds it tempting or offensive, it's considerate to adjust for that...to a point, for it's also considerate for the person bothered to focus elsewhere...if they cannot bear the sight well.

It's not like one side of an issue deserves all the consideration, at the expense of the other's liberty...unless that person chooses to sacrifice their liberty...then that's their prerogative.

But if/when someone is obviously weak, and someone taunts or teases them in a seductive/mocking/belittling manner - then that speaks of a serious lack of love and respect.

But if natural attraction is inherently problematic "covering up" may serve as a "band aid", but the real healing has to come with learning how to deal well with temptation, by becoming spiritually minded enough that the temptation no longer has any pull.

Being tempted isn't a sin, it only becomes a sin if we go along with the temptation.

I'm reminded of a saying, "What if they declared a war, and nobody showed up ?"

Well along that line - "What if a woman had her cleavage showing, and no one bothered to look, or thought anything of it ?"

Sometimes hiding things even adds to the allure by fostering a "curiosity for the secretive".

Each and every situation is somewhat unique, which is why being spontaneously led by The Spirit is so much better than simply following generalized rules/laws.

Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. <-----> Galatians 3:21

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
<-----> Galatians 5:16-18

...The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
<-----> Galatians 5:22-26

May The Lord Be Magnified !

wm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I apologize for saying what I did about you. That was not right. I sometimes get flustered because I am honestly HORRIBLE at making posts. Since the brain injury I can never think of the right words or how to say things sometimes, so often people get the wrong idea about me. If I said anything that came out wrong I am sorry. I assure you I am a good person who does try hard to always be better! :)

Upvote 0

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟32,434.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe it is a sin to show cleavage.. when you wear a dress that shows cleavage knowingly, you are obviously committing a sin because it obviously temps men! If you do it unknowingly or do it because your dress "feels right" or you "do it for your husband", you are neglecting God! Yes, you are neglecting his commandments! Because you are still showing cleavage that may tempt some man! Say you are walking through the crowded streets of Manhattan showing cleavage, even if it is only little.. you are only considering what's good for you or what makes you feel right.. Jesus doesn't want us to do that.. you have to think about all the men out there that might look at you lustfully and cause them to sin! If Jesus only thought about himself, then we would not have eternal life or find favor in God's eyes! So do what Jesus did, live for others.. live for the comfort of others!

Also, if you look at many of the women in other cultures around the world, they dress in a conservative, non-revealing way! I believe we should have the freedom to wear what we want, as long as it doesn't offend God's commandments!

Have a great day and God bless you all! :)

Upvote 0

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it is a sin to show cleavage.. when you wear a dress that shows cleavage knowingly, you are obviously committing a sin because it obviously temps men! If you do it unknowingly or do it because your dress "feels right" or you "do it for your husband", you are neglecting God! Yes, you are neglecting his commandments! Because you are still showing cleavage that may tempt some man! Say you are walking through the crowded streets of Manhattan showing cleavage, even if it is only little.. you are only considering what's good for you or what makes you feel right.. Jesus doesn't want us to do that.. you have to think about all the men out there that might look at you lustfully and cause them to sin! If Jesus only thought about himself, then we would not have eternal life or find favor in God's eyes! So do what Jesus did, live for others.. live for the comfort of others!

Also, if you look at many of the women in other cultures around the world, they dress in a conservative, non-revealing way! I believe we should have the freedom to wear what we want, as long as it doesn't offend God's commandments!

Have a great day and God bless you all! :)

I agree with you! cleavage should be visible for the husband only. I guess it makes the woman more exclusive to him...

Imagine there would be nude pictures out there of a wife, the whole world would know what the husband possesses

Upvote 0

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟32,434.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with you! cleavage should be visible for the husband only. I guess it makes the woman more exclusive to him...

Imagine there would be nude pictures out there of a wife, the whole world would know what the husband possesses

I think women, in general, just don't know how tempting it is for a man to see the slightest of cleavage! Comfort is one thing, but comfort that is sinful is not Christ-like!

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think women, in general, just don't know how tempting it is for a man to see the slightest of cleavage!
Thats a hard one there. I think they do realize, but not when it comes to some things. Most women I have talked to think men are sexual creatures that think with their "other" brain. So they must realize to some degree that we think certain ways.

And there are woman who admit they use their femine body to flirt with men because they know men have a hard time controlling themselves. With that said though I don't think they realize just how strong a mans sexuality can be when he sees something like that. I say its just like women saying we men don't understand what its like to have PMS or stuff of a female nature. Both sexes have things that the other sex doesn't fully understand.

Not using that as an excuse though, but it is the truth.

Upvote 0

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟32,434.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thats a hard one there. I think they do realize, but not when it comes to some things. Most women I have talked to think men are sexual creatures that think with their "other" brain. So they must realize to some degree that we think certain ways.

And there are woman who admit they use their femine body to flirt with men because they know men have a hard time controlling themselves. With that said though I don't think they realize just how strong a mans sexuality can be when he sees something like that. I say its just like women saying we men don't understand what its like to have PMS or stuff of a female nature. Both sexes have things that the other sex doesn't fully understand.

Not using that as an excuse though, but it is the truth.

All I am saying is that it definitely is a sin to show cleavage because there is no reason to. If one has the money to buy a revealing dress and a dress that covers her chest, then she should opt to buy the one that covers her chest, regardless of comfort.. because comfort, in that case, is being selfish and not thinking about all the men that might fall into sin because of that woman's specific action... I don't believe a Christian woman should worry too much about comfort when it comes to clothing and focus more on serving others, as Jesus instructs us to!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow, very good point. Theres no need to dress with your clevage showing. My fiance is on Facbeook and out of the hundreds of pictures she has, there are none showing even the tiniest bit of chest at all. She dresses nicely, but classy enough that it doens't come of as tempting. I actually find it to be very attractive in her that she does that.

If women are going to blame men, perhaps women should look at what they do when a man shows some skin. I can't tell you how many times when we are at social events, the women all say something and blush if a guy has (in their words not mine lol) a "tight butt" or if the mans shirt is buttoned up all the way. Women need to realize they are the same way.

Years ago when I was homeschooled I always thought the very conservative christian homeschoolers looked silly in their long jean dresses and plaid shirts that fully covered everything. It reminded me of the Amish or Jewish who dress up all the way. But now that I am older I find that style more attrarctive then some women who wears a tank top ( which exposes belly button and clevage) and tiny shorts that really should be called underwear.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow, very good point. Theres no need to dress with your clevage showing. My fiance is on Facbeook and out of the hundreds of pictures she has, there are none showing even the tiniest bit of chest at all. She dresses nicely, but classy enough that it doens't come of as tempting. I actually find it to be very attractive in her that she does that.

If women are going to blame men, perhaps women should look at what they do when a man shows some skin. I can't tell you how many times when we are at social events, the women all say something and blush if a guy has (in their words not mine lol) a "tight butt" or if the mans shirt is buttoned up all the way. Women need to realize they are the same way.

Years ago when I was homeschooled I always thought the very conservative christian homeschoolers looked silly in their long jean dresses and plaid shirts that fully covered everything. It reminded me of the Amish or Jewish who dress up all the way. But now that I am older I find that style more attrarctive then some women who wears a tank top ( which exposes belly button and clevage) and tiny shorts that really should be called underwear.
If my wife wore a long jean dress or a plaid skirt of any length I would be embarrassed.

So now not only women should not show any cleavage but now they should not wear shirts that show their belly buttons?

This seems very legalistic to me and the disturbing part of this is that it is thinking like this that make christian women from these types of doctrines unable to speak of issues of rape. This is not Christ this is oppression, and this is not Christianity it is man made laws that the church has projected on others.

1) There is a difference between wearing a nice dress that shows cleavage and wearing a dress that makes one look like a prostitute.
2) Cleavage being a sin is not biblical
3) I have never in my life seen a little cleavage and had in proper thoughts
4) A tank top is something men and women wear to stay cool
5)Breast feeding is legal because many consider breasts an instrument to feed children and not a sexual organ.
6)Its really oppressive to say that either women wear long dresses or women wear tight short shorts.

As a man I wear tight shirts and fitted jeans because that what is in style and it looks nice on me, plus my wife likes me to dress like that. And that isn't a sin.

Clothes don't make your walk with God, you do.

Upvote 0
D

day time

When people start talking about whether or not getting a blood transfusion is a sin, or a woman showing her feet in public is a sin, or whether or not liking certain colors are sins, or whether or not refusing to take Sudafed is a sin (I've heard this before) ... I used to think, "well ... if you're going to claim to be part of a club, it's fine to have club rules. Dress code, attendance policies, rules of behavior ... even drug policies (as to which ones to take or not) I suppose" ... it's why I like "freedom" I suppose.

So which clubs have the dress codes ?

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say my fiance (or any woman) should only wear stuff like that. I was just saying a woman, just like a man, should try to dress more moderatly. It doens't mean you can't wear a dress or something like that. If anything if we go dancing I'd hope shes in a dress and not looking like shes Amish lol. My fiance dresses nice. Sometimes its very modest, other times its still modest but dressy and very beautiful.

These kind of issues for me are "middle ground". I don't choose sides really. I may agree with one person, then agree with another who has a diffrent view. If you have ever seen the Alignment Test, I always end up being "True Neutral". Which out of the 25 options is the EXACT middle. To give an example people that are true neutral:
-Dr. Gregory House (tv show)
-Godzilla (movies)
-Han Solo (star wars)
-Lara Croft (tomb raider)
-Altair (assassins creed)
-John Marston (red dead redemption)
-Vulcans (star trek)

Now when it comes to my christianity and God, thats another store in terms of alignment. But when it comes to people asking for my opinion. I have alot and yet have none. I can see the view from both sides of a argument. Often people wil say I would make a good unbiased person to ask something because I'd give you the good and bad of both sides.

So as you see when it comes to this topic of is clevage a sin, I could go either way. Theres many complexities to what sounds like a simple question to me.

I will say though, if you went to sunday morning service in a low "V cut" shirt with alot of your cleavage showing, I'm pretty sure most people may be offended. You should dress properly in the house of God. Outside of there, dress however you like. No rules against it really. Its up to the person to decide if they are "tempting" other or if the others just need self control. Lets face it, no one really wants to take blame for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vanillabean

Jan 16, 2012
✟15,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yes it is WRONG if it causes a person to lust. Men are especially driven by visuals so provocative clothing should be avoided- and in the world we're in today, you also must take care that you don't cause a female to lust, that may be struggling with homosexual tendencies. (If you are not sure if an outfit is appropriate to wear, imagine you are with your grammy, or Mama Theresa, or whomever you have chosen for moral guidance, sitting in church or at a funeral. If it causes you to be at all uncomfortable, don't wear it.) In our house we do a finger test- put your index finger on top of your collar bone. Where your pinky finger hits, that is the lowest your shirt should be. Also, if you push your hand inbetween your breasts (over your shirt of course) and the shirt bounces right back, its too tight. It should indent, at least for a second.

We should do everything we can to HELP our brothers and sisters in Christ. The Bible says we are to DIE Daily! So the least we can do is choose a crew neck tee instead of a V neck, right? The female body is a very beautiful, powerful thing!

Upvote 0
D

day time

Yes it is WRONG if it causes a person to lust. Men are especially driven by visuals so provocative clothing should be avoided- and in the world we're in today, you also must take care that you don't cause a female to lust, that may be struggling with homosexual tendencies. (If you are not sure if an outfit is appropriate to wear, imagine you are with your grammy, or Mama Theresa, or whomever you have chosen for moral guidance, sitting in church or at a funeral. If it causes you to be at all uncomfortable, don't wear it.) In our house we do a finger test- put your index finger on top of your collar bone. Where your pinky finger hits, that is the lowest your shirt should be. Also, if you push your hand inbetween your breasts (over your shirt of course) and the shirt bounces right back, its too tight. It should indent, at least for a second.

We should do everything we can to HELP our brothers and sisters in Christ. The Bible says we are to DIE Daily! So the least we can do is choose a crew neck tee instead of a V neck, right? The female body is a very beautiful, powerful thing!
If I asked you for all your possessions and money, would you give it to me ?

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't think a woman that is showing cleavage should be uncomfortable any where.

If I go to church wearing sweatpants and some beat up sneakers with a tight tank top I'm not going to feel uncomfortable. Why should I? I am at my father's house.

I know women that do show cleavage when they are out and about and that would not show cleavage in the church. I also know women that wear pants and would not wear pants in the church.

Truthfully comparing going out dancing, nice restaurant, play, movie or a day at the beach to church or a funeral is kind of absurd.

Truthfully none of that really matters anyway.

Like I said before people often times put on other people their own chains because misery loves company. A woman that is free and wears what she likes and feels comfortable in it should not be made to be chained to you religious rules because they are not divine.

Several instances where Jesus spoke to prostitutes............how many times did he tell them to change their clothes?

Its petty and not of God

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.